No more Verizon 3G mifi

My flashed 3G mifi wasn't working properly, so I contacted the eBay vendor I "won" it from back in May.  Dr Wireless told me Verizon shutdown it's 3G mifi offerings.  He is working on a solution, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

So much for unlimited 3G mifi for $5 a month.

I know VZW is shutting down 3G in some areas, but not all areas have shut down yet. My flashed 6620L has been working fine for the past 3 years, and at least where I am right now, it still works fine. I also had 4620LE that I had flashed for 3G, but when it began working in fewer locations, I quit renewing it. When the 6620L quits, I'll consider having it flashed for one of the 4G plans now being offered on eBay. Oh, and I'm posting this using the 6620L on 3G...

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/de3ad449-a526-458c-8337-8298d42b704e

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I'll keep that in mind. As I said, I know they are shutting it down in some areas, but fortunately it's still working here for now. We mainly use the flashed hotspot as a backup to our AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE plan, but it is handy when we want to toss a hotspot in a pocket while shopping, etc.

Dutch

I agree, it's been a good three year run with it. When my 6620 finally quits, I won't feel bad about the $35 investment to have it remotely flashed. 

Dutch

DrWireless flashed my 6620L MiFi for 4G last May. It took three tries before he got it right. First time I could not play Amazon Prime video. Could not download any files or do Windows updates. Second time still could not play Amazon Prime and some web pages would not load. Third time Prime plays.

Verizon is shutting down many of the $5/month 3G accounts. I also have a 3G 4620L that went belly up a few days ago. Hopefully the 4G will hang in  there.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

16 hours ago, Tom_M said:

Verizon is shutting down many of the $5/month 3G accounts. I also have a 3G 4620L that went belly up a few days ago. Hopefully the 4G will hang in  there.

I think another problem is that Verizon is shutting down 3G on some bands on some towers at this point to make room for 5G expansion. My 4620LE stopped working on some towers, but still worked on others. The towers where the 4620 did not work, my 6620L that covers more bands did work. Where I am right now, both Jetpacks were working, but I decided to drop the 4620 since it was getting more problematic whether it would work or not in a given location.

Dutch

21 hours ago, remoandiris said:

What'd it cost you to get that flashed?

$150.

18 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I think another problem is that Verizon is shutting down 3G on some bands on some towers at this point to make room for 5G expansion. My 4620LE stopped working on some towers, but still worked on others. The towers where the 4620 did not work, my 6620L that covers more bands did work. Where I am right now, both Jetpacks were working, but I decided to drop the 4620 since it was getting more problematic whether it would work or not in a given location.

For me,  my Verizon account has disappeared. My 4620 flashed for 3G stopped working a few days ago. My 6620 flashed for 4G is still working but that account has also disappeared. My refill date is July 30. I have set up autopay with Callingmart, so I will have to wait and see if the refill works.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

31 minutes ago, Tom_M said:

$150.

For me,  my Verizon account has disappeared. My 4620 flashed for 3G stopped working a few days ago. My 6620 flashed for 4G is still working but that account has also disappeared. My refill date is July 30. I have set up autopay with Callingmart, so I will have to wait and see if the refill works.

Thanks for that info. I almost purchased the 4G device, but based on your experience, will wait to see how it ultimately works out for you. Please keep us posted.

According to my friend at the local Verizon store where I go, when 5G hits around the new year all of those hacked jetpacks will be killed  It's more about them killing off the pay as you go type accounts, which is how those jetpacks are hacked. Flashed is a more polite word for hacked, but they are reprogrammed (flashed, if you will) in a way that has those jetpacks appear to be those old drop phones and those are what they are killing off. But I am just relaying what that guy told me. I don't have one so I don't care.

As I said, I've had a good 3 year run with my 3G flashed Jetpacks for minimal expense, so losing them is disappointing, but nothing I haven't been expecting. My primary data service remains my AT&T unlimited 4G/LTE Mobley/Connected Car plan though.

Dutch

• 3 months later...
On 7/23/2018 at 8:46 AM, Tom_M said:

$150.

I thought I'd give this thread a bump to see how the flashed 3G and 4G deals are still working for others. My 6620L 3G only hotspot is still perking along, at least at my current location, and I just gave it another $5 shot.

I noticed that the drwireless.us site that had the flashed 4G deal seems to have disappeared. There's a drwireless.com site, but it claims to be totally unrelated to the .us site. I recall there was another source for the 4G flash, but I don't recall what it was. My AT&T unlimited Connected Car Plan is still my primary mobile ISP, and for those still looking for a low cost plan, AT&T has a $30 unlimited 4G prepaid plan for compatible tablets that could be an option.

https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Common/ShopRatePlans.action

Dutch

verizon jetpack, 4gltemhs mifi 7730L.Been using it for a few years and works fine all over the country. Never a problem.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

What plan do you have, Rich? I was referencing the low cost grey market 3G and 4G plans that start at $5/month.

Nothing like that. We have more everything  unlimited talk and text 40 gig plan. We require  reliable  service .This plan is not inexpensive but it is what we need. We are going to talk to them about their so called "new plans"

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

8 hours ago, richfaa said:

Nothing like that. We have more everything  unlimited talk and text 40 gig plan. We require  reliable  service .This plan is not inexpensive but it is what we need. We are going to talk to them about their so called "new plans"

We want reliable service as well, that's why our AT&T unlimited plan is our primary provider. The $5 Verizon 3G deal has pretty much reached the novelty stage at this point, although it does fill in some small gaps for at times. I'll probably add Verizon's $65 unlimited 4G prepaid tablet/Jetpack plan soon to better fill in our coverage.

Dutch

9 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

We want reliable service as well, that's why our AT&T unlimited plan is our primary provider. The $5 Verizon 3G deal has pretty much reached the novelty stage at this point, although it does fill in some small gaps for at times. I'll probably add Verizon's $65 unlimited 4G prepaid tablet/Jetpack plan soon to better fill in our coverage.

We are going to look into the AT&T unlimited plan.

Just now, richfaa said:

We are going to look into the AT&T unlimited plan.

AT&T has a $30 unlimited prepaid plan for "Tablets and Other Mobile Devices", but I haven't dug into it very deeply yet for any limitations. Like the Connected Car and other plans, it's subject to deprioritization after 22GB, but that's never been noticeable in our experience.

https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Common/ShopRatePlans.action

Dutch

At my daughter's home in Cleveland TX, if you hook up on 4g, it does nothing. 3g works but slow. Very poor service there and no other provider works period. If they done away with 3g, they would have no internet.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived