Two Winegard Trav'ler Questions

Splurged and got a Winegard Travler roof dish.  200 days a year camping so just bit the bullet and did it.  DirecTV with SWM-3 LNB.

Two questions. 

It's been 'up' here where we are parked since it was installed one week ago.  I haven't touched it.

Often, one or more channels have a "771 Satellite Signal Loss" on occasion.  The picture is FINE, doesn't disappear.  The Signal Strength meters are 100/98/100/97/100, etc etc. 

What's up with that?  Not cloudy.  Not raining.  Nothing.  Clear skies.

Second, when the unit was installed the tech put the box in the front closet, which is where the "Winegard Here" plate was.  That's fine. But it came 'on' with a blue backlight, and had an asterisk by 99, 101, and 103.  It stayed on a day.  Now the display is dark, it went off........but tv signal is fine (other than the occasional issue above).  Is it on a timer?  If so, must be 24 hours or something.  Manual makes no mention of it. I thought to hit the power button to see if the display would come on, but I was told that stows the dish and don't want to do that till we leave in a week.

Any users have an answer for either question?

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God.
Lewis Grizzard

The asterisk by those numbers tell which satellites the dish is seeing.  The controller for the Trav'ler does shut off sometime after it locks of the satellites, and yes if you push the button it will stow the dish, but can wait till it stows and then push the button again to redepoly it.  We see the 771 error from time to time, but I dont recall what causes it.  Hopefully, someone will come along with some more information.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

I get the 771 error if I have programmed to record a local channel when I'm outside the spot beam for that channel.  Tonight I got it when a thunderstorm rolled through and the programmed HD channel couldn't be received.  One way to get rid of the 771 notification if you can't figure out the reason is to engage PIP (picture in picture) and set both pictures to active channels you can receive.  Then turn off PIP and go back to watching what you want.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We can either have our controller display on or off when the satellite is deployed.  I can't recall sitting here right now the steps for turning it off because we almost always just leave it on.  The tech said it would create a little less heat up in the overhead cabinet if we kept it off.

The 771 signal loss message that appears when you are getting good reception on clear days is something we have wondered about also.  While in our home area in SW Florida we never had it but while in areas where we are not getting our locals we sometimes get it.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

When I am dry camping, and want to save every silly watt, I will just unplug the power cord to the dish. Still works fine. Of course do this only after you have locked in the the 3 sats. Only get 771 message during storms. Bear in mind, bad weather does not have to be on top of you, just between you and sat.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Thank you guys.  DOCJ nailed it.  DW has receiver set to record shows on what would be local channels back home, but we're in Indiana.  Voila!

Jcussen makes sense also.  Satellites are basically 'over Texas' sorta.  So weather back home in Arkansas COULD affect it.

FL-Joe, that also makes sense.  Since this is brand new, don't know what settings.  But as long as I know there ARE settings and it's normal, I think I'll leave it like it is.

I really appreciate the responses!!

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God.
Lewis Grizzard

17 minutes ago, BandJCarm said:

Satellites are basically 'over Texas' sorta.  So weather back home in Arkansas COULD affect it.

No.  However, a thundercloud five or ten miles away could.  Or, a storm in Arizona above the transmission site could.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived