Yeah, I knew this would happen when I bought the Pete..........

mr. cob

Howdy All,

At this leg of our summer sojourn Donna and I are staying at a time share in Branson MO, so having nothing to do today I decided that as we were close to the "Chrome Mafia" shop in Joplin Mo, why not take the Smart Car for a drive and check it out.  Well a tad over 300 bucks later I walk out the door with MORE chrome for the Pete, darned good thing they didn't have in stock some of the stuff I was lusting after my wallet would have been considerably lighter. 

I knew this was going to happen going down the classic truck road, so far its cost me right around one mile per gallon in fuel mileage compared to the Freightliner, the Pete dosen't turn as tight as the Freightliner, but the darn thing climbs mountains so much better and now I spending money on chicken lights and chrome.  My biggest problem now is I can't get this stupid grin off my face no matter how hard I try, do I regret it, not one bit.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

13 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

At this leg of our summer sojourn Donna and I are staying at a time share in Branson MO, so having nothing to do today I decided that as we were close to the "Chrome Mafia" shop in Joplin Mo, why not take the Smart Car for a drive and check it out.  Well a tad over 300 bucks later I walk out the door with MORE chrome for the Pete, darned good thing they didn't have in stock some of the stuff I was lusting after my wallet would have been considerably lighter. 

I knew this was going to happen going down the classic truck road, so far its cost me right around one mile per gallon in fuel mileage compared to the Freightliner, the Pete dosen't turn as tight as the Freightliner, but the darn thing climbs mountains so much better and now I spending money on chicken lights and chrome.  My biggest problem now is I can't get this stupid grin off my face no matter how hard I try, do I regret it, not one bit.

Dave

Pretty sure that's what it's all about . :D

I get the same when messing with that little bike in my avatar . 

I don't have any big toys , yet . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Howdy All,

While visiting with Maurice and Ginny, I started to polish the front radiator shell, doing this by hand with a cloth and metal polish is a real job as its been years since anyone cared enough to put some shine back in this ole rig.  So today I picked up a chrome outer trim cover for the "Wiener Window", got a pair of stainless steel bumper guide poles with lights, that should make it a bit easier to know where the front of this thing is when trying to look over the hood, and what self respecting 379 would be complete with out chrome windshield wiper arm covers. 

Also got some of those cotton things you put polish on that are spun by a drill that should make bringing a shine back to the long neglected aluminum a bit quicker and easier.  When I travel through the southwest this coming fall I'll get the wheels polished they are in dire need of being cleaned and shined, years of Minnesota winters have pitted dulled them. 

I have been touching up the paint bit by bit, its starting to clean up nicely.  Donna sat on some very nice seats today, I have been thinking about up grading the seats but that can be done at any time the ones now in the truck are in pretty good shape.  I really do enjoy puttering around with this truck, in time I'll be switching all the chicken lights over to LED's and of course adding some more, just because, don't need anymore but like the look.  Yup just an old kid with a new toy..........................

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

While visiting with Maurice and Ginny, I started to polish the front radiator shell, doing this by hand with a cloth and metal polish is a real job as its been years since anyone cared enough to put some shine back in this ole rig.  So today I picked up a chrome outer trim cover for the "Wiener Window", got a pair of stainless steel bumper guide poles with lights, that should make it a bit easier to know where the front of this thing is when trying to look over the hood, and what self respecting 379 would be complete with out chrome windshield wiper arm covers. 

Also got some of those cotton things you put polish on that are spun by a drill that should make bringing a shine back to the long neglected aluminum a bit quicker and easier.  When I travel through the southwest this coming fall I'll get the wheels polished they are in dire need of being cleaned and shined, years of Minnesota winters have pitted dulled them. 

I have been touching up the paint bit by bit, its starting to clean up nicely.  Donna sat on some very nice seats today, I have been thinking about up grading the seats but that can be done at any time the ones now in the truck are in pretty good shape.  I really do enjoy puttering around with this truck, in time I'll be switching all the chicken lights over to LED's and of course adding some more, just because, don't need anymore but like the look.  Yup just an old kid with a new toy..........................

Dave

Dave;

Sounds like you will need a cyclo polisher for all that chrome! You won't get swirls and it polishes in 1/2 the time of a disc style or orbital polisher.

There used to polish planes and Airstreams!

👍

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

2 hours ago, CDR said:

Dave;

Sounds like you will need a cyclo polisher for all that chrome! You won't get swirls and it polishes in 1/2 the time of a disc style or orbital polisher.

There used to polish planes and Airstreams!

👍

Howdy CDR,

I know nothing about polishing stuff, never had acres of bright metal to deal before, sounds like I will have to educate myself and invest in some more tools.  Thanks for the tip.

Dave 

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I used to own a Pete, with LOTS of lights and chrome, and the shiny, bright disease is very infectious! I loved how a freshly polished truck looks and tried to do it myself with the kind of stuff you are talking, the results were marginal....was at Danny's Big Rig Resort in Phoenix one trip and the lady that ran the polishing crew made me a deal I could not refuse....polished grille surround, battery boxes, fuel tanks, frame steps, air tanks, wheels and light touch up on air cleaners and rear fenders for about 1/4 of what I was quoted at home. When it was my turn there was a crew of 5 or 6 and I was finished in just over an hour. From that point forward I had my truck done there once a year. Plus they have a good sized chrome shop, with lots of Peterbilt stuff.

Fast forward a decade and now I have my Haulmark coach that the previous owner never polished (badly oxidized), so I thought I would buy the polisher (Polisher), assortment of buffing wheels and rouge bars (Buffing supplies)...totalling close to $500....and settled in to do 6 wheels and 2 fuel tanks....took me 4days to get it done...end of each day I was covered in black crap that is hard to get off, tired and sore...looks amazing...has lasted 4years so far (if you don't drive in the winter the polishing lasts way longer)...but if I was going down south I would gladly pay someone to do it for me...

36 minutes ago, porky69 said:

I used to own a Pete, with LOTS of lights and chrome, and the shiny, bright disease is very infectious! I loved how a freshly polished truck looks and tried to do it myself with the kind of stuff you are talking, the results were marginal....was at Danny's Big Rig Resort in Phoenix one trip and the lady that ran the polishing crew made me a deal I could not refuse....polished grille surround, battery boxes, fuel tanks, frame steps, air tanks, wheels and light touch up on air cleaners and rear fenders for about 1/4 of what I was quoted at home. When it was my turn there was a crew of 5 or 6 and I was finished in just over an hour. From that point forward I had my truck done there once a year. Plus they have a good sized chrome shop, with lots of Peterbilt stuff.

Fast forward a decade and now I have my Haulmark coach that the previous owner never polished (badly oxidized), so I thought I would buy the polisher (Polisher), assortment of buffing wheels and rouge bars (Buffing supplies)...totalling close to $500....and settled in to do 6 wheels and 2 fuel tanks....took me 4days to get it done...end of each day I was covered in black crap that is hard to get off, tired and sore...looks amazing...has lasted 4years so far (if you don't drive in the winter the polishing lasts way longer)...but if I was going down south I would gladly pay someone to do it for me...

Howdy porky69,

That is the kind of deal I would love to run across, I'll make a note of the place you wrote of and see if its still in business as I'll be very close to Phoenix, when I visit my friend Milo, who lives in Mayer Arizona.

There is no way I would ever buy the supplies needed nor put in the labor to do a good job of shining the Pete, up but its been so long since it was really taken care of that even what little I have done makes a very noticeable difference.  The last time I had any polish work done it was in southern California, I pull into a truck stop to get fuel and a little kid rode up to my truck and asked if I wanted the wheels and fuel tanks polished on my Freightliner, I asked how much and he said 80 dollars.  I said DEAL, that was three years ago and if a person took a little time to wipe them off they still look nice.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

If you have a CB radio you can usually hear polishers offering their services in the parking lot at a lot of truck stops in the south. And yes once they are properly polished they stay nice looking and are easy to clean for many years after that.

2 hours ago, porky69 said:

If you have a CB radio you can usually hear polishers offering their services in the parking lot at a lot of truck stops in the south. And yes once they are properly polished they stay nice looking and are easy to clean for many years after that.

Howdy porky69,

That's my plan, when I get into the southwest, I'll find someone to do it up right.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, HERO Maker said:

Be careful and listen closely to what they are saying at the truck stops.  My DW keeps hearing that they want to polish knobs!!!!!  Never heard a gal wanting to polish the wheels.

Howdy Rocky,

If DW ever found out I got a knob polished, I'd be needing a new head, I don't even think about such things, now wheels, heck yeah.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Mr. Cobb, glad to see your post, I got thinking about you both this morning when I saw the news on the tragic Tour the Ducks accident at Table Rock yesterday knowing your still in Branson. Safe travels and enjoy the rest of your stay in Branson.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

2 hours ago, dblr said:

Mr. Cobb, glad to see your post, I got thinking about you both this morning when I saw the news on the tragic Tour the Ducks accident at Table Rock yesterday knowing your still in Branson. Safe travels and enjoy the rest of your stay in Branson.

Howdy dblr,

We spent yesterday with some friends who live in Arkansas wandering around Eureka Springs, I havn't checked the news so I had no idea something happened, I'll take a look.

We have taken in a couple of shows, had a lot of fun just kinda wandering around with no particular destination, we will be leaving from Branson in the wee hours this coming Sunday and headed for Amarillo Texas, to visit with a couple of friends who live there.  Next real stop is another condo in Taos New Mexico, be there for a week then make a hard drive home in three days.  With luck some folks from North Dakota will be flying out to take a look at my Freightliner, so I have to get home quick to meet with them.  Thanks for your well wishes, safe travels to you folks, have FUN.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, Sculptor said:

Howdy Kevin,

That's a good photo, but I like the slight snarl of the Wolf I have been using for the last 20 years, being a "Cob", I really relate to that wolf.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

27 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

That's a good photo, but I like the slight snarl of the Wolf I have been using for the last 20 years, being a "Cob", I really relate to that wolf.

I think it looks like you at the door of the chrome shop.  And of course me too.  😉

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

30 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Next real stop is another condo in Taos New Mexico,

Dave,

Unload a bike and ride the Ring of Fire.  Taos, Angel Fire, Eagle Nest, Red River, Questa, and back to Taos.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

8 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

I think it looks like you at the door of the chrome shop.  And of course me too.  😉

Howdy Kevin,

Well, I won't dispute that. :D

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

6 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Dave,

Unload a bike and ride the Ring of Fire.  Taos, Angel Fire, Eagle Nest, Red River, Questa, and back to Taos.

Howdy rickeieio,

I was at the Angel Fire Monument, many years ago when I rode across the country to DC, with "Rolling Thunder" back in 1998 it was a very impressive place.  If the weather isn't to darn HOT we'll take the Beemer sidecar rig out, if its to hot we'll use the Smart Car to do a ride like you suggested.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

8 hours ago, mr. cob said:

I was at the Angel Fire Monument, many years ago when I rode across the country to DC, with "Rolling Thunder" back in 1998 it was a very impressive place. 

I was there last year,

MzsRh6bl.jpg

zHNUzVvl.jpg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 7/17/2018 at 5:53 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Dave

Dave, 

When you were in Joplin you were 30 minutes from my home town of Pittsburg Kansas. I have been trout fishing on lake Taneycomo More times that I can remember. I have cussed highway 76 a lot, and my parents can recite the outlet stores at each mall along the strip down there. We used to go there a lot for summer vacation. My first teaching assignment was in Stockton Missouri. My girlfriend, at the time was from Ozark Missouri, and we had year passes to Silver Dollar City.

Did you go to old town Branson and go to the Landing? It is a great little mall area with Bass Pro Shop on one end of it. We used to go there and fish off of the gravel bar for trout, as well as standing below the Dam beneath Table Rock Lake. 

You are in my stomping grounds and are making me homesick!

Later,

Cory O

2 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Dave, 

When you were in Joplin you were 30 minutes from my home town of Pittsburg Kansas. I have been trout fishing on lake Taneycomo More times that I can remember. I have cussed highway 76 a lot, and my parents can recite the outlet stores at each mall along the strip down there. We used to go there a lot for summer vacation. My first teaching assignment was in Stockton Missouri. My girlfriend, at the time was from Ozark Missouri, and we had year passes to Silver Dollar City.

Did you go to old town Branson and go to the Landing? It is a great little mall area with Bass Pro Shop on one end of it. We used to go there and fish off of the gravel bar for trout, as well as standing below the Dam beneath Table Rock Lake. 

You are in my stomping grounds and are making me homesick!

Later,

Cory O

Howdy Cory,

We have enjoyed our visit here in Branson, but the traffic is CRAZY, stop lights every other block and traffic backed up to where it takes at least three light changes to make it through the light.  That said we have had a good time taking in some shows and visiting friends from Arkansas.    We never made it to old town, I am not much of a tourist and avoid malls and such unless I need something really bad. Tomorrow get all loaded up for the next leg of the journey, hopefully get away from the humidity, dry heat is still HEAT but the humidity is really getting to us Nor-Wetters.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived