Has anyone tried this with his WiFiRanger?

docj

If you are like many RVers, you like to stream video but you hate to use up your cellular data plan doing it. Most people know that Netflix allows you to adjust your data usage in return for somewhat lowered resolution, but, to my knowledge, none of the other streaming services do. So, you end up with a quandary, if you have a really good cellular connection you can easily use >2GB/hour while streaming which can seriously use up your data budget. For example, at my TX home base, my Verizon connection is so good (>15Mbps) that I get a great picture at the cost of a lot of data.

Well, your WiFiRanger has the ability to help resolve this problem by its capability of creating "rules" that govern the performance of specific devices on your network when connected to specific internet connections. For example, I usually stream video using a Roku. I have created rules for my Ranger which limit the download speed for just the Roku when the Ranger is connected to either my Verizon or AT&T cellular internet connections. 

Sure, this reduction in download speed does somewhat reduce the resolution, but, quite honestly, most of what we watch doesn't lose anything in 720p vs 1080p and much of it is just as good in 480i (SD) when upconverted and displayed on our Samsung HDTV. Personally, I'd rather watch a slightly grainier picture and have enough data for the month.

For those of you who aren't technically savvy, the major streaming services all vary the resolution of the video you watch to match your download speed. So if you use the Ranger to reduce your download speed, the streaming service (with the help of your Roku or Firestick, etc) reduces the resolution of your picture. Obviously, if you restrict the download speed too much you will eventually get a very grainy picture or even will force it to rebuffer, but short of that limit you do have quite a bit of flexibility.

What I've done with my Ranger is to use 4Mbps as the download speed limit in my rules and that appears to take my picture to ~720p under most conditions. This appears to restrict my data usage to <1.5GB/hr. That's low enough for me to manage my data budget, but I plan adjusting it some more to see how little I can get away with and still have a decent picture. The exact number will depend on which streaming service you are using since their capabilities for dynamic resolution changes is different from one to the other.

To set up a rule on your Ranger, go to the Setup tab in the Ranger's control panel and under System Preferences make sure that you have turned off the button that says "Turn Off Advanced Features". Next, go to the Usage Tab and turn on Usage Tracking. Near the bottom of that page there is a section on Device Restrictions which will be blank. This is where your rules will go.

To Add a New Restriction first you need to specify which internet connection you wish to restrict it on. Most likely that will be your cellular connection. 
Next select your streaming device such as your Roku, unless you want the rule to apply to all devices. If you aren't sure which IP address is your streaming device you will need to go to the Status Tab to identify (and relabel) it. Next you will be asked to specify the kind of limit to be imposed--choose download speed. Then you will be asked to specify the data limit, both upload and download which you wish to impose. The upload limit is irrelevant for streaming. Then you will be asked if you want the limit to apply all the time or only if certain conditions apply. I have mine on all the time. Lastly, save your rule by using the SAVE button at the bottom of the Usage Tab or it won't be implemented.

I know this may sound complicated, but it's pretty self-explanatory when you step through it. Furthermore, you can always "erase" your rule with a single keystroke so you aren't doing anything irreversible. Vary the download speed contained in your rule to achieve a compromise of data usage and video resolution that suits you.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Good information.  Thanks Joel.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thanks Joel. I knew it had this capability, and admit I'm a junkie for the best picture I can get. Which oddly, seems to not be as crisp as it used to be!! (Why? Well, time for a new lens prescription:)!)

WFR GO2 and GOac, are so much more then just 'Wifi and a router.' The provide many useful options, or 'tools in the toolbox' for internet data. 

A few of the major ones are:

-Safe Surf (Almost a VPN like capability.)

-Load Balancing where you can share multiple paths to the internet

-Strong internal WiFi signal. (Just the GO02 or GOac, broadcast a strong enough WiFI signal cover a large RV, and or the outside of an RV.) 

-The item you mentioned, the ability to limit data usage to conserve montly data usage. (And I agree, 720 is fine for almost all movies and TV's shows.)

Sure, other products can do this. Many times it may take two products to do what WFR an do... But WFR has good tech support. A strong user's base - and dang it, they're truly nice people to work with... 

Best to you, and all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

On 7/17/2018 at 10:59 PM, Smitty77_7 said:

Sure, other products can do this. Many times it may take two products to do what WFR an do... But WFR has good tech support. A strong user's base - and dang it, they're truly nice people to work with... 

Thanks for the nice plug, Smitty! I have to say I think we've come a long way over the >7 years I've been associated with the company.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived