Full bed to king.

remoandiris

Anyone change their double/full bed to a king?  How did you extend the bed pedestal/frame?  Did you just use larger pieces of plywood?  Did you need to add stronger support arms to hold it up when you get into the under bed storage?

I currently have a queen mattress on the double/full frame.  The edges hang off the frame, but not by much.   A king mattress will hang off a lot.  I also have to do some mods at the head of the bed to allow enough space on one side, but that looks like simply removing a few screws and a piece of trim.

• 2 weeks later...

Many trailers have the option of a queen or a king, which will cause one night stand to be eliminated for the wider king mattress.  As to length, remember to watch for the end of the mattress for clearance to furniture.  Our king just misses the DWs dresser, so if we went to a queen, it would likely be same length but we could fit another night stand, assuming we could find one.  Although, sleeping next to her for 40+ years has gotten me used to the space between us on our kings.

Some RV mattresses can also be custom made to fit what ever your bedroom configuration is.  As to support, sounds like plywood is the right ticket.  I think that overlapping by 4" or so, then screwing them together should be sufficient to support that extra mattress width unless you tend to lean on the edge with your weight, then maybe add a filler in the middle and slide the existing plywood to the outside.  That way it is a slide piece of ply to the edge of the mattress.  Screwed down should keep everything in their place.

Marcel

Archived