10 Speed Autoshift ain't so Auto any more

adept99

It just replaces the hydraulic slave that is under the clutch housing with the pneudraulic version.  Put it in, add an airline, bleed, and done**.  It doesn't really care what clutch is in front of it.

** I think......it is Volvo stuff I never personally put my fingers on but when we figured out the part # I think it worked for a guy on here.

One other thing though, normally when going from a Solo to an EZ Pedal or an old Solo to the new Advantage clutch (self adjust or not) you have to change out the roller release fork used with the Solo for the finger version used on the others.  But I only know rodded clutches....Does that still hold true for the hydraulic setup?  Make sure your shop knows before stabbing in the trans...

22 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy adept 99,

Thanks, I am kinda liking it myself.

I also had the easy clutch setup installed in my Freightliner when I had the clutch replaced much easier to use.  

The clutch in the Peterbilt is very stiff in fact it’s hard to get a smooth start especially when backing up, just the other day when driving in Branson I had to stop for a light on a very steep hill getting moving again was a real thrill the truck was jerking up and down made me look like a rookie behind the wheel, took a couple of tries to get going again.  

Even thou the clutch in the Peterbilt is in good shape I have thought of replacing it with an easy clutch just to make it easier to drive.

Dave

Dave try just letting out the clutch slowly without touching the throttle the engine governor will keep it from dying. Then add throttle.  

2011 Volvo D13 485/1750  Eaton 13 Speed

2016 Montana 3820FK

1 hour ago, dan412 said:

Dave try just letting out the clutch slowly without touching the throttle the engine governor will keep it from dying. Then add throttle.  

Howdy adept 99

That is what I do now.  I think it’s a combination of a very strong clutch and how the clutch linkage goes through the floor add to this that when you push on the clutch you on load the air cushioned seat which affects the pressure you are applying to the clutch and things get to bouncing.

It’s getting better but something I have to learn about this truck.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Scrap;

Looked into air assist. It's not exactly cheap, and the shop isn't real familiar with them. Your install plan sounds good but I'd bet you're not planning a vacation to come down and supervise. DW isn't gonna drive the ol' Draggin regardless, so I think I'll let this one pass. Already waiting on the "I told you so" comment.

As far as cause and effect, it looks like the culprit is gonna be the trans cooler and associated lines. It's located near the rear of the transmission and hangs below the general plane of the frame of the truck. Has two SS braided lines going in and out. Best guess until it comes out is that it has a rust pin hole somewhere in that component. 

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Well, time for an update. Looks like the 1st estimate was close but a little shy mostly due to things you couldn't see until the transmission was out and on the ground. After a few phone calls for clarification, going back with a Reman transmission, turned flywheel, EZ-clutch, new throw out bearing and clutch brake disk, new shift forks, and new sensors. The clutch brake is a one piece, the shift forks are showing some wear, and the sensors are a change on the old/new wiring harness. Also replacing the Rear main oil seal and the transmission oil cooler and lines. Transmission oil cooler was the likely culprit of the vanishing oil due to a crack in the line right at the entry to the cooler. And boy, new tranny sho do shine!!! Boys claim they will be done by close of business tomorrow. 

More, but not much, I hope, to follow after the shakedown cruises.

Paul & Paula

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Good deal.. You'll be hitched and ready for Friday's lift-off.

I spoke to the service manager where our truck is currently residing, and he said the tranny was down about 1 gallon.  They're going to steam it off and drive it to look for leaks.  Hopefully, I'll get it back before Friday, or I may be pulling with the Mack this weekend. My darling co-pilot won't like that rigid mount seat on her side.:(

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Desertminer;

The transmissions in our trucks tend to be generic. You'll find the same transmission in Volvo, Freightliner, Pete, KW, etc. When you order a new truck, you specify what engine, tranny, rear end, etc you want, based on the expected use for the truck. A truck spec'd for Rocky Mt dry freight is wildly different from an East coast rig hauling hogs. Consequently, the various components can be mixed and matched to (by and large) to suit the need. The two piece clutch brake disk is more or less the same thing as a one piece disk, the difference being that you don't have to pull the transmission to install it. They are widely available for Roadranger style transmissions which includes eaton-fuller transmissions.

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Paul, with that nice, shiny new transmission and all of the other new parts, the engine is going to look kinda old and dingy. You might as well have them pull it and go thru the entire engine with new sleeves, jugs, crank and the works. Even better, have them drop a new engine in it so when you open the hood, all of the new paint and shiny bits will dazzle the neighbors.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Paul,

I had the exact same cooler failure on my truck 3 yeqrs ago.

The Roadranger transmission was a Fuller invention in the 1950's. When I was a truck mechanic in 1958 they had 2 sticks. Later they went to a button to change ranges. 

Shifting one of the older Mack's with 3 sticks for the transmission was really fun to learn.

The most sticks I ever saw in the floor was an Oil Field IHC with 2 transmission sticks, 1 Brownie stick and 2 winch stickst. hen it had a winch control knob on the dash. On top of these it had an air starter.

I quit mechanicking for a living when I joined the US Marine Corps in 1960.

ShortyO

Geez Shorty, I couldn't keep track of the sticks just reading about 'em, let alone driving one of those beasts. 
Paula says tell Miss Judy howdy

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Archived