10 Speed Autoshift ain't so Auto any more

adept99

I had just wondered why the ol' trusty Autoshift Volvo was missing shifts when going around a tight 90 turn & up a short but steep hill. Did it twice on two different trips. Over the next few days / weeks, had a few other odd events. Didn't really see anything obvious. 

It got real noticeable when the ol' girl went into neutral and would not would not engage any other gear. After a day and a half, it was thank you Coach-Net.  So you know, leaving out many details...

Finally got the mechanic on it this morning. No oil. Less than a quart of smelly, burned, aw crap tranny oil. Should have about 4 gallons. Never showed up as even a small puddle. As a result, the transmission is burned totally up. We get to get all new stuff from the flywheel back to the driveshaft. Turned flywheel, EZ-clutch, release bearing, and a shiny new remanufactured 10 speed tranny. And reasonably priced too. If you're Bill Gates. Near 'bout $8K. Paula finally took the ammonia cap out from under my nose and the 30 or 40 nitroglycerin have started to calm the ol' ticker down.

Should get the ol' girl back sometime next week. 

Check Everthang....Even that stuff that don't need it....Know whut I mean Vern (Not you Vern)

Paul & Paula

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

To my knowledge, no, has a pinky hole you stick your finger in (actually you fill it until oil drips out a little bit) and see if you get oil on your finger.

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Ouch!  I had new oil put in ours a couple of years ago when they rebuilt the hi/lo.  Oddly enough, it's going to the Mack shop tomorrow for A/C work, I'll have 'em check fluids too.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Paul, I am really sorry to hear of your tranny woes. Hopefully you will be back on the road soon and shifting smoothly.  I hope that unexpected outlay of capital won't adversly affect Daisy's daily rations. Give Paula a hug and give Daisy a butt-scratchin' for me.

Be safe.   Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

I have my trans and diff fluid levels checked at each oil change. Speedco does it for free

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

Just for a thought on trans oil.

Several years ago we went from Kalispell Mt to Missouls Mt to visit some friends. We took the truck to get some run time on it as it sits mostly over the summer We were done visiting and decided to go to a truck stop on I 90 for supper.

So we traveled maybe 4 miles to the truckstop. Pulled up to the bobtail area, then backed in.

Boy there was a trail of oil someone lost. I could see it in front of our truck. I got out of the truck and looked at the oil trail. What the heck it goes back under our truck. Yes there was oil leaking from the transmission . 

So I asked the wife to follow the trail of oil. She said it started when we got into the parking lot.

The two oil cooler lines rubbed against each other. I had seen they were touching years ago but never thought of it. Well one of the stainless steel wires on the out side finally poked a hole in the other line. That line was there probably 75000 miles since the trans was rebuilt.

So out friends took me to the Peterbuilt store for a new hose. Put it on and spent the night at the truckstop. Then went to the Peterbuilt sergical center in the am for a fill up on trans oil .

So just curious if there was any signs of the oil leak on your fifth wheel or the back of your truck.

Now it could be like ours. If we parked on stones we may never even seen the oil leak. Especially if it was slower. And well let's say the truck sat still for a few weeks.

Just a thought,.  Vern

jenandjon - currently have a 3 pedal autoshift. I like it for the ability to sneak up on stuff. Will be going back with that and with replace the clutch with an EZ clutch and a manual adjuster instead of the hydraulic version. Not much difference in price.

Not much difference in First Class and Coach either, you just can't stay as long...

Wrkrvnr;  Nope, no puddles, leaks, or other indications other than the usual drips here & there

parrformance: Thanks for the Info

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Paul has a no lube failure

Vern posts a story of “that was close” nature

And 2 days ago my son test drives a motorhome here locally and the pinion bearing piles up due to next to no lube after sitting leaking for a year...

So I figure I better look at the trans and diff in my KW dually... on with the coveralls, idle the engine a bit as per Eaton Fuller oil level check procedure, slide underneath, diff is good just below full mark. Over to trans horse the big plug loose - turn turn turn turn ... watching watching for oil at thread turn turn .... and down the arm and sleeve of my coveralls goes some 50W Eaton spec lube.

ya we’re good. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, noteven said:

and down the arm and sleeve of my coveralls goes some 50W Eaton spec lube.

Don't mean to laugh, but that was funny. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Howdy All,

Sorry to hear of the transmission problems.  If your trucks don't have a transmission and drive axle temperature gauges, I suggest getting them installed.  One of the things I like about the old classic trucks, if if has lube in it, it has a temperature gauge you can see instantly if something s running hotter then usual being low on lube would really HEAT things up in a hurry and would show on the gauge.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Sorry to hear of the transmission problems.  If your trucks don't have a transmission and drive axle temperature gauges, I suggest getting them installed.  One of the things I like about the old classic trucks, if if has lube in it, it has a temperature gauge you can see instantly if something s running hotter then usual being low on lube would really HEAT things up in a hurry and would show on the gauge.

Dave

That is very true Dave.   

Paul-, We were just at Vanderhaags in Sioux Falls having our steering gear replaced.  They have a "Special on trans this month.  There were most of the Eaton models, plus I-shift and Allison (For those other folks).  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 7/16/2018 at 1:14 PM, adept99 said:

I had just wondered why the ol' trusty Autoshift Volvo was missing shifts when going around a tight 90 turn & up a short but steep hill. Did it twice on two different trips. Over the next few days / weeks, had a few other odd events. Didn't really see anything obvious. 

It got real noticeable when the ol' girl went into neutral and would not would not engage any other gear. After a day and a half, it was thank you Coach-Net.  So you know, leaving out many details...

Finally got the mechanic on it this morning. No oil. Less than a quart of smelly, burned, aw crap tranny oil. Should have about 4 gallons. Never showed up as even a small puddle. As a result, the transmission is burned totally up. We get to get all new stuff from the flywheel back to the driveshaft. Turned flywheel, EZ-clutch, release bearing, and a shiny new remanufactured 10 speed tranny. And reasonably priced too. If you're Bill Gates. Near 'bout $8K. Paula finally took the ammonia cap out from under my nose and the 30 or 40 nitroglycerin have started to calm the ol' ticker down.

Should get the ol' girl back sometime next week. 

Check Everthang....Even that stuff that don't need it....Know whut I mean Vern (Not you Vern)

Paul & Paula

Paul & Paula;

Please replace or pressure check the trans cooler. You may want to check the condition of your engine coolant also!

Missing oil has to go somewhere! It sure didn't evaporate. 

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Mr Cob, I gotta say, I really like your Pete. 

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Alie & Jim - Thanks for the info, I'll let the shop know.

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

7 hours ago, Chuck said:

Tell me about the easy clutch release. Just picked a 2003 Volvo 3 pedal. Very stiff clutch. Need to try to find a way to make this easier for the wife to drive. Will break the bank?

BIG Difference - 8 years ago when we first started out we got the clutch replaced. We have the exact same truck as Paul and Paula (even the same color). We got the EZ clutch with manual adjustment just like Paul is doing. At that time the clutch replacement was about $2000 It was well worth the cost for us.

Susan loved the difference and made it significantly easier for both of us to drive.

At the time we were newbees. We got it done in Colorado Springs (at our now favorite mechanic). Jack (Mayer) felt the clutch before we had it replaced and then after we had it replaced and his comment was that before is was one of the hardest clutches he had felt and after it was one of the easiest clutches he had felt.(this was at that time - Jack is very kindhearted and he might have just been making us feel better after having spent a few thousand dollars 😉) The best is/was Dave Matson's air assisted clutch which is fabulous. (As well as RandyA's homebrewed power assisted clutch)

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

2 hours ago, adept99 said:

Mr Cob, I gotta say, I really like your Pete. 

Howdy adept 99,

Thanks, I am kinda liking it myself.

I also had the easy clutch setup installed in my Freightliner when I had the clutch replaced much easier to use.  

The clutch in the Peterbilt is very stiff in fact it’s hard to get a smooth start especially when backing up, just the other day when driving in Branson I had to stop for a light on a very steep hill getting moving again was a real thrill the truck was jerking up and down made me look like a rookie behind the wheel, took a couple of tries to get going again.  

Even thou the clutch in the Peterbilt is in good shape I have thought of replacing it with an easy clutch just to make it easier to drive.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

That sucks Paul!

Sure you don't want to put air assist on it while its all apart?  Volvo # 20469695.  I mean, what's a few hundy more..... ^_^

EZ Pedal is nice and all, but no comparison.  EZ pedal has been standard production for like 15 years and so common you'd have to work hard not to get it as a replacement part, sure you don't have one already?

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Hey Scrap;

Truck currently has hydraulic linkage and a Solo clutch. Not fond of either one.  What kind of changes need to be made to make the air assist install? Right now the shop is going back with an EZ clutch and manual adjust linkage. Which of those parts need to be changed to get to the air assist configuration? Anything or is this just a small add on like the link you sent appears to show.

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Archived