Need Towing Instruction NH

CarlC

Hi Everyone!  So, I am beyond newbie status both here and as an RV owner.  Just took delivery on my 19 ft travel trailer in which I plan to full time beginning in September.  However,  I have NO towing experience and the thought of backing into campsites has me very apprehensive.  Would like to find someone to teach me how to drive and especially back this beast before I hit the road.  I am in New Hampshire and have searched some but have not found any resources here.  If anyone knows of potential instruction sources,  I would very much appreciate the information.  Thanks and have a great day!!

Welcome to the forum!

Find a large empty parking lot where you can practice turns and backing up until you're more comfortable with the trailer run out when cornering, etc. School parking lots on weekends may be an option with permission.  Backing up, place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go. As with many things, practice, practice, practice...

Oh, and the parking lot could also be a good place to work out clear hand signals if you have someone that will be traveling with you that can act as a spotter. Hand signals should be big and easily understood. The spotter should point with their whole arm instead of just a finger for instance.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Thanks Dutch!  Yes, I will definitely need practice.  One issue I have is that my driveway is long  and uphill with the parking spot at right angles to it.  Afraid if I take the trailer out, I will not get it back in!  Might just  have to stay in place until we move out  of the house in August and I find a place to store it with better accessibility.  

Thanks again!

Carl

I did check RV Driving School.  No one in NH but there are a couple in Maine around 100 miles  away.  That might be doable if I can get a pull through space near the instructor to stay for the 2 days of the lessons.   Could be my best bet.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, CarlC said:

I did check RV Driving School.  No one in NH but there are a couple in Maine around 100 miles  away.  That might be doable if I can get a pull through space near the instructor to stay for the 2 days of the lessons.   Could be my best bet.  Thanks!

Sounds like that's exactly what you should do , Carl . 

You'll likely do a lot better than the last Carl we encountered . He couldn't even back a single vehicle without everyone being on the edge of their seats , let alone that vehicle hooked to a trailer . LOL 

Best of luck to you . You'll do just fine . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

3 hours ago, CarlC said:

Our instructor in Arizona had a parking place for us at his residence. Plus, he was there to guide us backing in. If Maine doesn't have that you might want to check for a Walmart that allows overnight parking since they often have enough space along outside edges to pull in and out.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Sounds like that's exactly what you should do , Carl . 

You'll likely do a lot better than the last Carl we encountered . He couldn't even back a single vehicle without everyone being on the edge of their seats , let alone that vehicle hooked to a trailer . LOL 

Best of luck to you . You'll do just fine . ;)

Right, don't want to be that guy 🙂 Thanks!

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

Our instructor in Arizona had a parking place for us at his residence. Plus, he was there to guide us backing in. If Maine doesn't have that you might want to check for a Walmart that allows overnight parking since they often have enough space along outside edges to pull in and out.

Linda Sand

Good to know thanks!

If you use a spotter with vocal directions use "driver" and "passenger" when giving left/right commands that way you don't have to determine if it is the driver or spotters left or right.

As others have said, hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go when backing up.

6 minutes ago, bob91yj said:

If you use a spotter with vocal directions use "driver" and "passenger" when giving left/right commands that way you don't have to determine if it is the driver or spotters left or right.

As others have said, hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go when backing up.

Thanks!  Yes, I've watched the videos and get the idea but some hands-on will be far better.  I will be traveling solo so need to figure it out on my own.  Might get a rear view camera for the trailer in lieu of a helper!  

5 hours ago, CarlC said:

I will be traveling solo so need to figure it out on my own.  Might get a rear view camera for the trailer in lieu of a helper!  

My rear view did not have a warning that things are closer than they look. I almost hit the rig behind me. That's when I learned the importance of the GOAL system. Get Out And Look.

Linda Sand

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

First, having the proper exterior mirrors is essential to learning to back a vehicle and trailer.  These extend about 14" out from the vehicle. I used  cheap strap-on mirrors for 8 years, including a trip to Alaska.  The "spotter" is IMO more important than the driver in some instances. Both must learn and use the same hand signals.

Noone can tell you how to back up your rig, only practice will suffice. That said, there are some utube videos that help with the basics.

There are wireless cameras today that can be an aid to backing up a trailer if you solo travel. They range in price from $40 to $400. Keep in mind you really do get what you pay for.

The golden rule is; never pay attention to anyone except your spotter, unless you specifically request additional help.  If your spotter disappears from view STOP/GOAL!  If you are uncertain, GOAL.

Forget about getting in a hurry, it only makes it more difficult.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

Forget about getting in a hurry, it only makes it more difficult.

This is truly one of those times when haste makes waste. Don't let anyone push you into moving faster than your comfort level. If they are truly on their way to the emergency room they will say so, otherwise ignore anyone waiting.

Linda

Thanks everyone!  I have mirrors on order and may go with a wireless camera as an assist.  The trailer probably will sit  where it  is until I get through the move out of my house over the next 3 weeks.  Then will take a couple of lessons and do lots of practice before hitting the road.  Thanks again and make it  a great day!

I avoid backing without a ground guide to at least warn me if I'm about to hit something. If possible have someone to direct you but realize that poor direction can be worse than none at all. The guide needs to watch above, below, and both sides as well as behind you. If that person is not capable of directing, at least have someone to warn you before you hit something. If you do not understand the instructions, stop and go look then discuss it with your director. The best director needs to understand backing also since you can not immediately change directions of travel when backing so they should always base instructions on what you need to do to go in the proper direction. Keep in mind that it takes several feet of travel to swing the tow vehicle far enough for the trailer to change directions of travel. If possible, avoid the need for sharp turns because gentle ones are more easily made and adjusted. The shorter the distance between the hitch and the trailer's axles, the more quickly it will react to changes in movement. 

We travel in a travel trailer that is very close to the size you are planning for. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

16 hours ago, CarlC said:

I will be traveling solo so need to figure it out on my own. 

As mentioned, Getting out and looking is essential when backing alone. Even if you only do it once at the beginning of the procedure. As was mentioned, you need to know the height of your rig to avoid overhead obstacles which can cause damage to the RV. I have found an extendable or sectional painters' pole marked at a length a few inches longer than the height of the trailer to be useful. If the ground is uneven, I still will get out and look.

8 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

Another item that could be helpful is to rent a UHaul trailer to learn some skills with.

I had this same thought. An empty parking lot is a great place to practice. Setup some markers and practice backing in. Also practice pulling out in both directions to learn how the trailer tracks. Running over a curb can cause tire damage. Objects like poles and signs close to a corner can cause damage to the trailer. Vehicles parked near a corner also need to be avoided when negotiating a turn. 

If there is a boat ramp nearby, pay a visit and watch folks backup to the ramp. If you have a friend with a boat; meet them at the boat ramp, talk to them and watch them. If it is not crowded maybe they will let you try backing a few times. 

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!! Good luck with your new RV and safe travelling.

Carl,

We traveled for 7 years full time and part time since 2003. I had trouble backing a U-Haul enclosed six foot trailer before retiring at 45 into a 36 foot HitchHiker 5th wheel trailer. It was 13 feet tall, and I had no training, learning on the 10 hour drive from San Antonio's Lackland AFB Texas, to Bossier City Louisiana. Towing with a 1992 Dodge Ram dual rear wheel 1 ton truck. This was 1997 and all of the first twenty miles of I 35 Was under construction and down to one side with concrete barriers between the two lanes making for about a foot on either side of my truck. the truck was as wide as the trailer so if it cleared, the trailer would. but I kept expecting a shriek of scraping trailer against the movable barriers.  RVrs weren't as organized then and there were no forums online until a couple of years later.

I think you're making the right choice in getting training. However with a travel trailer you won't have to worry about most public bridges and height clearances. So one worry is gone. I traveled with my wife who traveled the world with me for my 27 year career. She was my spotter but had no aptitude, and I only needed her for tolerances of less than five inches or so in tiny spaces up in Canada and Alaska parks, and a few lower 48 parks. We avoided them and usually parked at commercial RV parks outside with good size spaces. Essentially I was solo with an emergency lookout. I'd get out to decide whether to try again or keep it going. In one Alaskan park near Denali I had my bumper lightly scraping bark off a big tree to back into a space that had a river running along the back. The tree and my bumper both were just marked no damage.

Your challenge on the road is picking fuel stations for in/out accessibility. We bought all of our supplies and food in the truck after setting up camp. We slept overnight in Walmart only twice, in a Flying J once, and boondocked only maybe three weeks total of seven years. That because at the end of a days driving, the last thing I wanted was a parking challenge. Plus we traveled with guns, a legal declared shotgun only through Canada and Alaska.  So state and national parks with no guns rules were out save a few times.

Traveling solo lots of folks will try to help. I'd politely decline. Also never let anyone back it for you. You never know what substances they might be using, you can't smell meth or opioids. Just pull forward and start again getting out often. When given a choice in a park with two way roads, I'd always back in such that my passenger side was on the outside blind side of the turn. That way I could see the hookups at all times and eliminated the possibility of running them over.

I am over cautious, and never damaged a trailer or vehicle in all my years of driving. So I'm not advising skipping the training. But if the RV was delivered up your drive, if you have to, you can get it in the drive too. You can leave it without making the turn, just back and park it on the straight if you have to, and walk to the house.

But as said don't rush it. The same with your first drive to the training site. You will have to swing some turns very wide and as long as you don't cut in front of a vehicle, take your time. Like we wait for other big trucks, they will wait for you within reason. By that I mean don't block an intersection stopped. The thing I dreaded my first year was getting stuck on a residential street with overhanging trees and cars parked on both sides, with no way to make the turn at the T at the end which happened once. I had to back it a block. We made it, so will you!

Safe travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

9 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

As mentioned, Getting out and looking is essential when backing alone. Even if you only do it once at the beginning of the procedure. As was mentioned, you need to know the height of your rig to avoid overhead obstacles which can cause damage to the RV. I have found an extendable or sectional painters' pole marked at a length a few inches longer than the height of the trailer to be useful. If the ground is uneven, I still will get out and look.

I had this same thought. An empty parking lot is a great place to practice. Setup some markers and practice backing in. Also practice pulling out in both directions to learn how the trailer tracks. Running over a curb can cause tire damage. Objects like poles and signs close to a corner can cause damage to the trailer. Vehicles parked near a corner also need to be avoided when negotiating a turn. 

If there is a boat ramp nearby, pay a visit and watch folks backup to the ramp. If you have a friend with a boat; meet them at the boat ramp, talk to them and watch them. If it is not crowded maybe they will let you try backing a few times. 

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!! Good luck with your new RV and safe travelling.

Thanks!  Excellent info!

5 hours ago, RV_ said:

Carl,

We traveled for 7 years full time and part time since 2003. I had trouble backing a U-Haul enclosed six foot trailer before retiring at 45 into a 36 foot HitchHiker 5th wheel trailer. It was 13 feet tall, and I had no training, learning on the 10 hour drive from San Antonio's Lackland AFB Texas, to Bossier City Louisiana. Towing with a 1992 Dodge Ram dual rear wheel 1 ton truck. This was 1997 and all of the first twenty miles of I 35 Was under construction and down to one side with concrete barriers between the two lanes making for about a foot on either side of my truck. the truck was as wide as the trailer so if it cleared, the trailer would. but I kept expecting a shriek of scraping trailer against the movable barriers.  RVrs weren't as organized then and there were no forums online until a couple of years later.

I think you're making the right choice in getting training. However with a travel trailer you won't have to worry about most public bridges and height clearances. So one worry is gone. I traveled with my wife who traveled the world with me for my 27 year career. She was my spotter but had no aptitude, and I only needed her for tolerances of less than five inches or so in tiny spaces up in Canada and Alaska parks, and a few lower 48 parks. We avoided them and usually parked at commercial RV parks outside with good size spaces. Essentially I was solo with an emergency lookout. I'd get out to decide whether to try again or keep it going. In one Alaskan park near Denali I had my bumper lightly scraping bark off a big tree to back into a space that had a river running along the back. The tree and my bumper both were just marked no damage.

Your challenge on the road is picking fuel stations for in/out accessibility. We bought all of our supplies and food in the truck after setting up camp. We slept overnight in Walmart only twice, in a Flying J once, and boondocked only maybe three weeks total of seven years. That because at the end of a days driving, the last thing I wanted was a parking challenge. Plus we traveled with guns, a legal declared shotgun only through Canada and Alaska.  So state and national parks with no guns rules were out save a few times.

Traveling solo lots of folks will try to help. I'd politely decline. Also never let anyone back it for you. You never know what substances they might be using, you can't smell meth or opioids. Just pull forward and start again getting out often. When given a choice in a park with two way roads, I'd always back in such that my passenger side was on the outside blind side of the turn. That way I could see the hookups at all times and eliminated the possibility of running them over.

I am over cautious, and never damaged a trailer or vehicle in all my years of driving. So I'm not advising skipping the training. But if the RV was delivered up your drive, if you have to, you can get it in the drive too. You can leave it without making the turn, just back and park it on the straight if you have to, and walk to the house.

But as said don't rush it. The same with your first drive to the training site. You will have to swing some turns very wide and as long as you don't cut in front of a vehicle, take your time. Like we wait for other big trucks, they will wait for you within reason. By that I mean don't block an intersection stopped. The thing I dreaded my first year was getting stuck on a residential street with overhanging trees and cars parked on both sides, with no way to make the turn at the T at the end which happened once. I had to back it a block. We made it, so will you!

Safe travels!

Thank you, awesome information!  I, too, am overly cautious and want to be pretty sure I have the basic knowledge and skills to safely and enjoyable tow and use my trailer.   My plan is a bit different from yours in that  I enjoy the quiet places so will likely boondock quite a bit and use national forests, BLM land,  state parks, etc.  A bit concerned about your statement regarding carrying though.  Hadn't thought that would be a problem but guess I need to do more research.  Thanks again and happy travels!

If your trailer is rated at 19' that is likely the living space as it is in ours so you probably have a total length of about 23'. Since I to that same size I assure you that there won't be a major issue with finding fuel stations that you can get through, but some caution is still advised and remember to swing wide to avoid those barriers that most stations have near the fuel pumps. 

1 hour ago, CarlC said:

A bit concerned about your statement regarding carrying though.

If you mean firearms, it is true that they are forbidden in all national parks and many state parks but I have never had anyone check for them or even ask if we had one. Crossing into Canada is another matter. You will be asked and may be searched as we have been more than once. Canada does not allow handguns of any kind. Long guns can be transported if you apply well before you plan to go up.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We carried handguns and my Savage 24-C .22lr over 20ga. You need to be familiar with this: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

You'll also need this: Gun laws of the States: https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/#la2

If your current state of domicile has a concealed carry license honored by all states get it before you go.

" In some states the firearms laws can be much less restrictive than federal laws. However, individuals are not exempt from federal laws just because the state laws are less restrictive. In most cases it is left to the discretion of local law enforcement as to whether they will enforce federal laws. The Supreme court has ruled in Printz v United States that local law enforcement are not obligated to enforce federal firearms laws. "

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/#la2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printz_v._United_States

I'm a retired military combat arms training and maintenance. I wrote an article about RV defense and carry that is on my website here: http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id85.html

However that is based on using RV parks and blacktop boondocking WalMart/truckstops etc. If mostly in the boonies I'd not be without.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

20 hours ago, RV_ said:

I'm a retired military combat arms training and maintenance. I wrote an article about RV defense and carry that is on my website here: http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id85.html

Thank-you for your service!  Just read your article, pretty good me thinks.  I agree with about everything you wrote.  I don't carry even though I could, all my friends think they need to.  Only needed one 3 times in my life, actually the last 5 years.  Twice against skunks trying to get to my chickens and once more for a badger that thought my ankles looked sexy (in my chicken run)... LOL

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:33 PM, Kirk Wood said:

If you mean firearms, it is true that they are forbidden in all national parks

The regulations changed in 2010  

Congress approved a new law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. That means people can openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute.

Here is a link to a website with links to the park specific regulations for many of the National Park Service administered sites,

Not sure about NPs but on at least one fed forest I am aware of you are allowed to carry, even open carry but it is illegal to discharge on this district. Other districts of the same forest are different.  On this forest district there is hunting but only with bow and arrow.  Other than huniting all projectiles are prohibited.

Archived