453 Smart Oil Filter Change

Jim & Wilma

It’s getting time to change oil and filter on our 2017 smart. Those of you that change it yourself, how are you reaching the filter?  Looks like we have a cartridge filter forward and somewhat above the oil pan but I haven’t looked for it yet.

I’m thinking I could drain the oil while it’s level on the truck and roll the smart down the ramps just a bit to access the cartridge filter.   Any recommendations/thoughts?

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

I just take mine to someone. We always in a park somewhere so we can't do this. Best to find your filter first. Always have to order mine from Rock Auto. Mercedes to far and too costly

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Jim, I just run mine up on my lift and access it from the bottom. It is a cartridge filter and don't forget to change the gasket. You can get factory filters from Smart Madness or get an aftermarket for half that price.

If you use your ramps, I would only get the car off the truck just enough to access the filter and keep as much weight off the ramps as you can. When under a car, I always try to have a secondary safety to prevent bad things from happening.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Agree David on safety and placement of smart.  While on ramps, we’ll have a static load well within ramps normal operating range.  

Never paid to have someone change our oil before we got our truck. At 38 qts, I threw in the towel.  Little hard to give up old habits on the smart though. Someday I’ll give it up, but not yet. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Archived