Verizon New Unlimited Plans with Military Discount

usnlt

I switched to the Verizon Unlimited Plan in Feb 2017.  I have 4 voice lines and a jet pack and I get the military discount.  We own the 4 phones and are not making payments.  My total bill after taxes and whatever is $201 per month.

I see Verizon has recently come out with what looks to me like 3 new unlimited plans with a military discount.  Has anyone compared the Feb plan with these three new ones and if so, how does the Feb 2017 plan shake out.   

To be honest I'm either lazy or there is too many this, that or other things for me to make sense out of it all.  

Seems like my original post took an unexpected turn to why I have 4 voice lines?   My wife and I have a phone and two other family members that contribute to the monthly bill have a phone.

With that said, I would switch to one of the new unlimited plans if it provided the same level of service and data limits or better and at at a better price.  

We have 3 lines. Two phones and a hot spot we pay  over 215.00 a month. We switched to a unlimited plan but it was throttled  so we switched back . We use the  More every unlimited talk and text 40G plan. We will be checking out the new so called unlimited plans.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We have a 40GB data plan and use almost all of it via a modem.  That is why we don't even look at the "unlimited" Verizon plans since the limit for modem/hotspot is 15 GB.

Since running over is $15 a GB, we are using our Equinox's GM LTE which is "unlimited" for $20 a month as fill-in.

I use quote marks because when I went to school, unlimited meant something else.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

1 hour ago, usnlt said:

With that said, I would switch to one of the new unlimited plans if it provided the same level of service and data limits or better and at at a better price.  

I was tempted with the 'unlimited' too, but on further inspection I determined I could not use my phone's hotspot , and I believe there was also throttling involved.  I'm currently on the XXL plan (24g, no throttling, hotspot ok, no longer offered).   Two phones, about $175/mo. Ygwypf. 

32 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

I was tempted with the 'unlimited' too, but on further inspection I determined I could not use my phone's hotspot , and I believe there was also throttling involved.  I'm currently on the XXL plan (24g, no throttling, hotspot ok, no longer offered).   Two phones, about $175/mo. Ygwypf. 

I also was tempted, but after they got tired of tap dancing, the salesman finally told me 15gig then throttle down to equal landline/modem speed.  I have the same XXL plan but bought it as a special through Best Buy.  I got 2 extra gig per line for 3 lines plus Mifi.  I own all 3 phones and hotspot, with mil discount and taxes, I pay $183/mo.  I rarely run out of data but usually have atleast 10gig carryover per month.  This is more than we need for now, we are so far only weekend warriors. 

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

2 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

I rarely run out of data but usually have atleast 10gig carryover per month.  This is more than we need for now, we are so far only weekend warriors. 

I used to have carryover until I started listening to XM on the phone, and Youtube videos.  Those activities have made me have to watch my usage carefully near the end of the billing cycle. $15/gig overage gets expensive.

3 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

I also was tempted, but after they got tired of tap dancing, the salesman finally told me 15gig then throttle down to equal landline/modem speed. 

Did the salesman use those exact words, 15gig and then they WILL throttle down or that the 15gb threshold make you susceptible to tower deprioritization? Almost everybody who addresses this topic says you WILL be throttled, and that is not the case. Your agreement, like my agreement, says you MAY be throttled. Not you WILL, you MAY. If you are on a busy tower, you may see throttling. If you are on a not so busy tower, you may NOT see throttling. I have tested this by watching TV over cellular until I deliberately went past the 22gb limit and I have yet to see throttling. Ever. Though I am in a city of 200,000 and connect to large capacity towers. This is not even close one size fits all.

What he told me Eddie is more than likely it will be unless we are in the middle of no-where and traffic is low on the tower we are using.  We live in the middle of no-where, 30 miles from town.  He told me I would more than likely get throttled down even at our distance. 

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Birdman, are you one of those unfortunate people who is in that small group that Verizon just kind of abandoned? I think it was like 1500 people that were in a group that got their traffic by reseller and Verizon was going to stop selling data to be redistributed.

How is your signal normally? Have you ever read it by decibels? Even in this big town I sit in my house at -104 and I am fairly close to a tower. I CAN get near a tower where I see as low as -70 but the point of me asking is to get a handle on your signal strength so I can make a mental note of you being 30 miles from a town. The upside of that small town thing is that while it may not be a higher capacity tower you may also be competing with fewer users.

Decibels?  I get 4g, usually 4 bars outa 5 at my place.  Abandoned, no, best buy is one of their biggest resellers, still offer it there today.  I don't live in a small town, I live 30 miles from a city.

Lieutenant,  If data limits are you primary concern, the new AboveUnlimited (the higher of the 3) gives you 20 gig instead of the usual 15 gig, per hotspot or jetpack device. The many other differences in the new plans depend on how you & yours use the devices. 

I used to pay big for a 30 gig data plan. Once they made it clear to me that the 15 gig data limit was per device, I got a 2nd Jetpack, only $20 more a month (after buying the device). What I pay now for getting 15 gig on the phone as a hotspot and 15 gig per each of my 2 Jetpacks, 45 gig total per month, is less than what I used to pay for the separate 30 gig data plan. changing which Jetpack is in my amplifier  in the middle of the month is no big deal.

Jim

JRP, actually we're OK on data limits.  Like you, with two phones and jetpack, I've got 45gb of data and we've got a Mobley.  I was just trying to sort  out if there was a way to save a few bucks but not give up anything.  The more I look at it, there isn't.  That new plan would give me more data but at a higher cost.  It also comes with 500gb of cloud storage.  I think I'll leave well enough alone.

2 hours ago, Sehc said:

Except for the coverage, the big V suck.

Have you checked AT&T lately? We have had very little coverage issue and where we are now there is fair AT&T coverage and no Verizon. Coverage of both companies has been improving lately. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We are in Northern Wisconsin and are using Verizon and AT&T.  Verizon isn't great but it is better that AT&T for data  speed.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of darkness."___Supreme Court Justice William Douglas"

Seems appropriate these days.

Archived