IRT canceled? a little off topic

runaway parents

8 minutes ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

I'm a retired trucker and HATED that "show". It was nothing but an insult to a real trucker! 

Yea its a little goofy but my boys really like it.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

3 hours ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

I'm a retired trucker and HATED that "show". It was nothing but an insult to a real trucker! 

Hm must have hit a nerve. Insult to a real trucker? must have missed something that was insulting . I know somebody who worked for Carlile .He seemed like a" real trucker" to me.

It takes more than that to insult any truckers I know. They must not be "real truckers"

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I'm not a real trucker, but have held a few steering wheels in my day, and almost never sleep at a Holiday Inn.  Most of the truckers we talked to on our Alaska trip thought that show was pretty hokey and scripted.  Some had first hand knowledge of the "staged" drama.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

It's not the real ice road truckers (the ones that aren't on TV) that are insulting, it is the show itself. The driving that they show is nowhere near what a real trucker would do. Anywhere but on tv driving and acting like the IRT crew does would get you fired in a minute.

Between that and the other one, Highway Thru Hell, lets just say that 60 seconds of film goes an awful long way. As a professional driver neither one bothers me, I find them rather amusing at times. But they are somewhat useful in getting at least some information to a general public that would otherwise have no conception.

Hokey, yes. But how else are you going to make it entertaining enough to sell to advertisers, unless someone actually watches it. I guess IRT finally lost enough viewers that the History Channel dropped them. they will probably wind up in re runs on a lesser cable channel, like Velocity or something.

Either one is a little more accurate presentation of the world than say Sonny and Will in the TV series Movin On. Now that one was a laugh a minute. 10-4 Good Buddy, catch ya on the flip flop.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I catch my Soap Opera's mid-afternoon. IRT lost touch with reality a long time ago. It just refused to turn off the lights. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

9 minutes ago, beyerjf said:

Either one is a little more accurate presentation of the world than say Sonny and Will in the TV series Movin On. Now that one was a laugh a minute. 10-4 Good Buddy, catch ya on the flip flop.

I thought it was BJ and the Bear....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

OMG next thing you guys are going to tell me wwe  wrestling  is fake. ha. So your are telling me  they don't actually slide trucks around corners side ways launch them threw mud holes and catch air .driving so fast that parts are flying off the truck. and still keep there job. So much for that career. Guess I will stick with driving nails for a living.

Well, sure enough, we found out where Ice Road Truckers went.

There is a new broadcast network using the secondary frequencies of the thru the air digital TV broadcast spectrum, like MeTV, Escape, Grit(Television with Backbone), Ion, Movies! etc.

It is called Quest, starting broadcasting in Jan of 2018 and is available in about 50 markets in the US. Looks like they are re running a lot of the tired Discovery Network programming that is a little long in the tooth.  But it is free...

http://www.questtv.com/

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

1 hour ago, beyerjf said:

There is a new broadcast network using the secondary frequencies of the thru the air digital TV broadcast spectrum, like MeTV, Escape, Grit(Television with Backbone), Ion, Movies! etc.

It is called Quest, starting broadcasting in Jan of 2018 and is available in about 50 markets in the US. Looks like they are re running a lot of the tired Discovery Network programming that is a little long in the tooth.  But it is free...

Learn something new , every day . 

Thanks . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

What was her name..???   Lisa, I think.  Little gal that went from blond to brunette to pink.  She was a major attraction to many that watched the show.  Personally, I wondered how someone as small as she was could handle her loads.  I couldn't - but I am just old, not little.😁

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

5 hours ago, beyerjf said:

Thanks Jeff,

I checked and I get that channel, but didn't have it in my favorites.   I used to like to watch Modern Marvels and its on this channel.  Now I have to see if it has Myth Busters.  I used to like to watch that also. 

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

13 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Careful there Randy!!!!

Yea, that thought crossed my mind.  Nothing feminist or sexist was intentionally implied. A little man would have had the same issues with the loads on the truck unless they were totally excused from loading/unloading.  Like I said, I'm just too old to fool with loads - bad back, knee and left shoulder on top of turning 72 today.  Bah, humbug and thank goodness for Ibuprofen or Toradol.  😄

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

We have an Owner Operator that hauls for us regularly that was there with the show off and on for the first 2 years of the show, and some of the stories he tells of the things they did to make "TV" is such a hoot. And he told us the real reason the show left Carlisle trucking, but that is a story I would rather not tell.

Archived