portable generatord

I just sold my 10k that I bought from Northern Supply.  Had it for 9 years and still ran like a new unit.  Downside, it was extremely heavy.  I had to use a chain hoist to place it in the back of the truck.  It also had a twin Honda engine.  It was mind blowingly loud.  Most portable 10k's are similar.  You would have to do extensive reinforcement to the frame and bumper to add.  We replaced with a Champion 3400 dual fuel for our 5th wheel travels.  Runs what we need with a little manual power management.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

4 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

The affect of a 200+ pound generator on the back of your 5th will be accentuated being that far from your axle, but you may have already anticipated this. If yours is a toy hauler all the better to keep it inside on a cart with wheels fitted for the terrain.

I was thinking the same, I wonder if the frame is designed to withstand the added stress of a bouncing 200# load on the read bumper. I have seen a genset permanently mounted on a fabricated frame attached to the 5er pin box. He had wired  a 30A receptacle under the overhang to plug in the genset so he could run everything just by switching a double throw box from shore power to genset.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10K Watt...... on the back of a 5th wheel ???......Yikes!

Dual fuel:  On propane - *major* supply required - will "eat" propane in a hurry.

On gasoline - prob need additional supply also - larger tank/extra gas cans?

Open-frame type?  - which equates to.... *LOUD*

Maybe OK for a NASCAR event -or- somewhere with  lots of open space between you and your closest "neighbors" - notice I didn't say "friends" - 'cause they won't be.

Advice:  carefully re-evaluate  what your electrical needs will be, and db levels of whatever you choose.

And.......hope it works out according to "plan"!

Wanted to add a motorcycle lift to the back of my motorhome and ran the figures on axle loading. Found that 800 lbs mounted 10 ft behind rear axle actually increased weight on axle by 1020 lbs.

Many people do not realize on dual fuel generators that a 20 lb bottle of propane is equivalent to 5 gal of gas. So if your big generator burns a gallon an hour, that will be more than 4 propane bottles a day if you run it constantly.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Archived