Regen needed, switch no workie

hemsteadc

2008 FL SC Cummins 8.3L.  

I need to do a manual regen asap, but, the switch on the dash isn't doing anything.  Yes, I held down the little button then pushed the switch for 4 seconds as per instructions.

The directions on the sun visor say "If so equipped, inhibit switch must be off."  Where is that?

The lamp that indicates the filter is full and needs a regen.  Yesterday on the highway that came on, stayed on, then started flashing.  Then the check engine came on.  Then the regen lamp went off.  Later came back on.  The engine derated a little bit, but I was still able to drive. Then Check engine changed to 'Engine protect' in red, but I will still able to drive.

Now I don't know if I need a tow truck or risk driving 10 miles to a shop. Love this truck.. until this crap happens.

Sounds like it needs a visit from a laptop to find out what triggered the warnings and force a regen.   I am only guessing but sounds like a sensor - dpf’s measure pressure differential across the particulate filter to signal for fuel to be injected to raise the catalytic converter temp high enough to burn the carbon trapped by the dpf. 

A Cummins/Fleetguard system is able to regen whenever the engine is at full power lugdown condition (as in climbing a grade at full throttle and lugging down to shift points) from exhaust gas temperature alone. If EGT is not high enough some fuel is misted into the exhaust to cause the catalytic converter in front of the filter to get as hot as it does in full power mode. 

If none of above conditions are present the system may ask you to park and do a manual regen. In a Kenworth all engine control switches have to be off - cruise, jake, pto, etc “off” position. Park brake on. Hold regen switch for 4+ seconds. The engine will throttle up the VG turbo will whistle and carry on as the ECM controls it to add air, exhaust system will get very hot. No sparks occur but Wheat stubble or dry leaves and grass under the exhaust may catch fire so don’t park there :). In some minutes it will be happy.

The ash is trapped in the filter and eventually needs to be cleaned out. 

What we learned in trucks:

the harder the engine works the less issues the after treatment system has.

the more an engine idles  the more issues the after treatment system has.

the more a driver romps on the sewing machine pedal accelerating the engine without allowing the turbocharger to build manifold pressure the more soot (smoke) is trapped by the filter the more issues...

and sometimes they have issues for the sake of having an issue...🤬

Annyways keep us posted for building of the knowledge base....

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

36 minutes ago, noteven said:

If none of above conditions are present the system may ask you to park and do a manual regen. In a Kenworth all engine control switches have to be off - cruise, jake, pto, etc “off” position. Park brake on. Hold regen switch for 4+ seconds. ....

That's what isn't working...although I checked and my "Spd control" (cruise switch) was on.  Nobody to date has said that's a problem.  I'd fire it up and try it again, but the engine is cold and would take a while to get to temp and I cannot risk having it derate any more.

I just found a mobile guy out of Eden ID.  Won't be cheap, but it beats sweating out a drive to a shop and the minimum 3- day wait to get it back.

NOPE. Not gonna happen.  Tech didn't know anything except DEF trucks, and other guy won't call me back.  Sigh.

It's got an appointment at the local Kenworth station.  Closest big truck shop I could find.  Send good thoughts that I make it.

Edit:   Made the 12mi drive sans issue.  DPF light still flashing, Check Engine on (but not protect).  Whew.  That's a relief.  They said it might be a couple days.  Usually is.

Archived