Trojan T-105 vs T-105 Plus

LindaH

We'll be purchasing Trojan batteries for our RV...the only question now is T-105 or T-105 Plus.

I've downloaded the Data Sheets for both and note a few differences between the two:

1. T-105 has the Embedded Universal Terminal (EUT) available; the Plus doesn't
  2. The T-105 is slightly larger in width and height than the Plus
  3. The T-105 has the HydroLink Watering System available; the Plus doesn't

These don't seem like important differences (we'd probably go with the Embedded High Profile Terminal (EHPT) which are available on both batteries and our battery tray pulls out far enough to make getting to the cells for watering easy).

The main difference seems to be in the top of the battery and the cap design, as the diagram on page 2 of the Data Sheets makes clear (see links below).  The T-105 has "bayonet caps" and the Plus has "SureVent Flip Top" caps. 

I have no idea what either of these cap styles are or whether one might be better than the other.  Can someone explain the difference to me?

Thanks!

Trojan T-105:  https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datasheets/T105_Trojan_Data_Sheets.pdf

Trojan T-105 Plus:  https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datasheets/T105Plus_Trojan_Data_Sheets.pdf

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

That's what I thought a few years ago.  But as the body ages, one starts to appreciate things that don't require a lot of work.  We put AGMs in and I only wish we had done it sooner.  Not having to get down on the knees, getting out the portable flood light to see into the bay, cleaning the terminals, etc. - PRICELESS. :D

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Our battery tray is not in a bay...it pulls out into the sunlight and is high enough not to need getting on knees to put water in the cells.  Still don't want to pay the money for AGMs.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I appreciate everyone's concern about our batteries, but unless you're willing to cough up the difference between what we'd pay on the Trojans and what AGMs cost, we're going to stick with the Trojans.

That being said, does anyone have an answer to my question?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Hi Linda - bayonet caps will be “normal” conventional caps that install with a part turn. And fall in dark recesses or the dirt when you drop them. And drip electrolyte when you take them off...The flip style look like they stay on the battery by the hinge. I haven’t used the flip style.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I'm with Linda. We purchased Trojan T-125. We got a really good deal at a local golf cart company for the T-125 same cost as we could get anywhere else for the T-105. They purchased the batteries on pallets and got a great price break. The T-125 just upped the amp-hours/capacity a little.

Also, we did purchase the Pro-Fill Battery Watering System and it is wonderful. Makes easy work of keeping the batteries filled.  I think the plus version had fill tubes that were a little narrow for the pro-fill valves. It's been a two years since we made the purchase but when we did we called the flow-rite company to make sure we got the correct match (battery (plus/non-plus) and pro-fill watering system) We also got the EAPT (3) posts because we already had connectors and wiring for those posts from our previous battery bank.

If the watering system is purchased the system does not come with a hand pump fill tube so that has to be purchased in addition to the valves.

We chose the pro-fill over the hydro-link for cost and for future universal use on other batteries if needed. We are very happy with our choice and it works great.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

I called Trojan's Technical Service department yesterday to inquire about the differences between these two batteries.  While there are some slight differences between the two, as noted in my OP, the main difference are the caps.

As noteven said, the T-105 has screw-on caps while the Plus has flip top caps.  Technical Service said that the Plus also has a water level indicator.

I think we've decided on the T-105 mainly because we can get a watering system for it, if we decide later on to get one.  While Trojan has their own HydroLink watering system, the total kit (including the squeeze bulb and tubing) costs over $200.  I can get the Flow-Rite Pro-Fill complete system for less than $100.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

You may also check with the flow-rite folks to get the right kit for the T-105. We do have the non-plus version of the t-125 batteries AND we have the non-manifold version of the pro-fill kit, and we have the hand pump which was sold separately.

So we just have the cell valves and we cut the provided hose to fit between each cell valve. (Our bank is a 6 6-volt  group 31). We got this for flexibility. They have little swivel tees on top to connect the hosing and red caps to close off the unused connection on the tees.

I think we ended up purchasing the Pro-fill system from camping world because they had the best price.

But amazon and powerstride batteries were other online locations for the system.

Pro-fill catalog Link - page 33-34 discuss the various valves.  

page 32 describes the part number code scheme so you know what you are getting online (sometimes the pictures do not match what they are selling)

I think the big difference with the pro-fill is that if you have the Plus version of the Trojans you must to get the valves that do not have the yellow protective shroud on the bottom of the valve, because the cell holes are tapered and the shroud would not allow the valved to seat in the hole. (so for the T-105 you can probably used either the shrouded or non-shrouded valves - this might be a good question to ask the pro-fill folks). 

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

TreyandSusan, this is the Pro-Fill system I'm looking at:

https://flow-rite.com/battery-watering/marine-rv/pro-fill-rv/kits

I do have an email into Flow-Rite making sure that this is the correct kit for the T-105.

Amazon has them available and I'm waiting until Monday to see if they're on sale.  I'll do some price checking before purchasing.  We're not in a big hurry as we won't need the batteries until this fall, so have lots of time to look around.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

• 2 weeks later...

Apologize for the too late reply. Sounds like you have it handled.

The only aside from the standards and the plus's not mentioned yet is the addition of a new metallic additive to their conductive grease formula on the plus series. It's "supposed" to help prolong greater conductivity over the life of the battery, but only time will tell in real life usage what kind of margin of improvement we're talking about. Trojan kinda know their stuff though so I wouldn't doubt it might be an improvement, however, it doesn't directly relate to ah capacity or plate longevity... rather to charge/discharging. If it tests out, I would imagine the new formulation will be making it's way to the other battery production lines.

Personally, I'm not at all a fan of flip tops. They tend to warp, plastic hinges tend to break and they are not as easily replaceable as a bayonet style. There is always that bit of "juice" (electrolyte) on the underside of the tops... takes a good deal of pressure to "release" them and whatever in on the underside tends to get "flung" out onto whatever when the top pops. I also prefer the positive physical "lock".

That being said... I have not played with their flip tops yet. I don't like flip tops in general... especially on my ketchup bottle. 😉

The water level indicator? Mehhhh. The universal option is nice... if you actually needed it in that size battery group... which RV'ers don't.

For me, a water system option and positive physical locks trumps a water level indicator... which would be the only tangible "pro" I could come up with for my usage. However, I use a watering system on my 105's so the indicator is a moot point anyhoo. 😉

IMHO, they needed something "new" and "improved" to advertise for brand exposure... couldn't come up with any better ways to make a great battery mo' better that made economical sense... so now we have the "plus".

As for the dimensions. I dunno. To me that says they went with a fraction less case material in the new molds for the plus series production. Due to improved materials, so less is required, or just shaving off point zerowhatever percentage off production costs I have no idea.

Archived