When to set up domicile and change address

CGTaylor

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

To buy health insurance or any other kind of insurance in another state while you continue to live where you are now will require that you claim to have moved now.

But do research on both health insurance and health care before you change your domicile. Some insurance companies don't offer portable insurance and some doctors are not taking new patients. You want to be sure you can get what you want in your new location.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, wow, this stuff about domicile and mailing address and state of residence can be a bit tricky I'm learning.  So, here's my scenario, I will be closing on my ONLY New York State residence in about a month.  I have taken care of the address change situation pretty much for now too. However, I will not be living in any ONE state for more than a month or so at a time for the upcoming year.  God Willing that is.  

I also do not know where, or if, I will be settling anywhere specific for the next few years either.  So, how can I be stateless when it comes to income taxes when I receive a monthly tiny pension from having been a NYS employee for a while, and another monthly payment from my retirement savings plans that are all with Fidelity?  That and some interest income will have to be reported each year, but I really would love to avoid NYS personal income tax level on these sources of income if at all possible too.  I have been reading up on all of the states residency requirements and thresholds, but I still don't feel like I have a clear understanding of how to manage this legally and ethically.  I may also workcamp off and on as needed and possible, and that too would be in various states perhaps if all goes as I hope.  So, where do I tell my auto insurance that I live, where do I renew my vehicle registrations if I don't have a physical address either during that time?  I don't really want to renew them in New York State for this very reason of domicile.  I want out of the clutches of this states taxation levels.  I am also aware that some of the states without personal income taxes charge you a lot to initially register your vehicles there too, like Tennessee!  But insurance is lower in Tennessee too.  This is a huge question, I realize that, but I am a literal person and would really like to have as precise and legal of an answer as I can possibly get.  

Oh, and last, but NOT least, I need to apply for health insurance under the Affordable Care act.  So, if I am still considered a NYS resident as of November and December of this year when the open enrollment period for the insurance through the Affordable Care Act starts in NYS, technically I should apply for it here.  However, again, i am supposed to keep my address where i "live" current with them at all times and they will not allow the mail to be forwarded it is returned to the NYS Health Department and then canceled if they cannot "find" me.  

So, HELP?????  Where can I get this clarified and know that I am making and doing things legally and correctly?  Lawyers do not know everything, trust me, not even the big firms.  So they cannot be my only source.  

Thanks,

Rayne

Rayne

2 Biewers, Miki and Timmy

2005 F-550 Lariat

2008Okanagan Truck Camper 116ULT 

8 minutes ago, Rayne said:

I also do not know where, or if, I will be settling anywhere specific for the next few years either.  So, how can I be stateless when it comes to income taxes when I receive a monthly tiny pension from having been a NYS employee for a while, and another monthly payment from my retirement savings plans that are all with Fidelity

The answer is that you can not. With no address how will you renew your driver's license, vehicle registrations, various types of insurance, and receive mail? There is no federal address system. In addition, you need to check with the NY retirement program to see what they require and where. If you have benefits from that system, they may require you to keep a NY domicile. 

11 minutes ago, Rayne said:

I may also workcamp off and on as needed and possible, and that too would be in various states perhaps if all goes as I hope. 

When you work in a state that has an income tax you must report that income to the state where earned and pay any tax that state requires.

12 minutes ago, Rayne said:

This is a huge question, I realize that, but I am a literal person and would really like to have as precise and legal of an answer as I can possibly get.  

Let me suggest that if you want reliable legal information you should speak to an attorney who is familiar with the problems that you are asking about and not rely on any of us who have experience but only in our own situations. I suggest you contact Loring & Associates as Shawn Loring is also the CEO of Escapees RV Club and they do a lot of domicile work and are familiar with the various states. I know Shawn well so feel free to say that Kirk sent you if you wish.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

i

All this will work out for you. Many people do this on a regular basis. Set up a phone appointment with Susan or Shane at Lorling. both specialize in domicile issues.

You need to remember that your mailing address need not be the same as your domicile. A first step is set up a mailing address and begin moving everything to that address. Many of us use the Escapees Mail Service, at least initially. All the mail service does is give you a place to have all your mail sent to, held until you give them directions as to where you want your mail sent. The mail if forwarded on your schedule and can change at each mailing. It sounds like you have made that move already, good.

Also start automating everything, bills, credit cards, do as much as you can on the internet. You want to minimize paper.

Once you have determined your domicile then you can get your drivers license and vehicles registered, vehicle insurance, medical insurance etc. 

The above is a very broad swath of what needs to be done.

Just take it in small steps and all will be well.

Good luck and happy traveling.

Once

Rayne, once you leave NY then you pick a state of your choosing (after much research on which one would be best for you regarding taxes and medical insurance) then you get a mail forwarding address. That address will be your 'home' and everything will be done with that address - taxes, registrations, driver's license, medical insurance, etc.  It really does go smoothly.  We use Fidelity and the Escapee's mail forwarding address was accepted by them. 

Things change with ACA and will do so in the future. Right now I believe Florida is a good state to look into for your address.  Escapees has a park in Bushnell and that small town would help you through it.  There are tens of thousands full-time RVers out there so it does work! 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

For health insurance while traveling this is the best resource I've ever read: https://wheelingit.us/2017/10/31/health-insurance-time-2018-considerations-for-pre-medicare-rvers/. At your stage of life this is where I would start to determine my new domicile.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

22 hours ago, Rayne said:

Hi All, wow, this stuff about domicile and mailing address and state of residence can be a bit tricky I'm learning.  So, here's my scenario, I will be closing on my ONLY New York State residence in about a month.  I have taken care of the address change situation pretty much for now too. However, I will not be living in any ONE state for more than a month or so at a time for the upcoming year.  God Willing that is.  

I also do not know where, or if, I will be settling anywhere specific for the next few years either.  So, how can I be stateless when it comes to income taxes when I receive a monthly tiny pension from having been a NYS employee for a while, and another monthly payment from my retirement savings plans that are all with Fidelity?  That and some interest income will have to be reported each year, but I really would love to avoid NYS personal income tax level on these sources of income if at all possible too.  I have been reading up on all of the states residency requirements and thresholds, but I still don't feel like I have a clear understanding of how to manage this legally and ethically.  I may also workcamp off and on as needed and possible, and that too would be in various states perhaps if all goes as I hope.  So, where do I tell my auto insurance that I live, where do I renew my vehicle registrations if I don't have a physical address either during that time?  I don't really want to renew them in New York State for this very reason of domicile.  I want out of the clutches of this states taxation levels.  I am also aware that some of the states without personal income taxes charge you a lot to initially register your vehicles there too, like Tennessee!  But insurance is lower in Tennessee too.  This is a huge question, I realize that, but I am a literal person and would really like to have as precise and legal of an answer as I can possibly get.  

Oh, and last, but NOT least, I need to apply for health insurance under the Affordable Care act.  So, if I am still considered a NYS resident as of November and December of this year when the open enrollment period for the insurance through the Affordable Care Act starts in NYS, technically I should apply for it here.  However, again, i am supposed to keep my address where i "live" current with them at all times and they will not allow the mail to be forwarded it is returned to the NYS Health Department and then canceled if they cannot "find" me.  

So, HELP?????  Where can I get this clarified and know that I am making and doing things legally and correctly?  Lawyers do not know everything, trust me, not even the big firms.  So they cannot be my only source.  

Thanks,

Rayne

Go to the RV-Dreams website:  http://www.rv-dreams.com/  and select the "Financial Info" and the "Workcamping" topics found along the left hand side of the page.  It is not legal advice that he gives, but good detailed info to get you started on answering the questions you have.  He was a lawyer in a former life (before fulltimeing).

Also some place on the website is a very good discussion about medical insurance and ACA.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived