Allentc2

Let's say I don't really want DirecTV or Dish....

I quit watching TV a long time ago after realizing I was paying $150/month to actually watch maybe 4 hours of TV a month. I switched over to a Roku box (topic for another thread). But when I get on the road, it occurs to me it might be good to be able to see what's going on locally. What's a good antenna to have for picking up local TV? Preferably one that's pretty idiot-proof. LOL

Do any of the Winegard offerings that Newmar has as options fit the bill?

We went with tow rooftop Antennas: 1) The RAYZR AUTO (We use this one the most, probably 97%+ of the time. Push a button, and walk away, and the unit scans and locks on available channel signals.) 2) Also have a new crank up Sensar antenna. (I had that installed, as I wanted to have a raisable mount, to add cellular antennas to.) (When in the fringes of coverage, and with digital, you're either on/or pretty much off with a signal now a days. (No longer getting to watch the snowy outlines and try to imagine what the picture is:)!). We've tried A/B testing between the antennas when a good distance from larger city sources. And have found now probably 7-9 times, that the Sensar would pull in a channel that the RAYZR Auto would not. 

Best of luck to you on the road ahead,

Smitty

13 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

We went with tow rooftop Antennas: 1) The RAYZR AUTO (We use this one the most, probably 97%+ of the time. Push a button, and walk away, and the unit scans and locks on available channel signals.) 2) Also have a new crank up Sensar antenna. (I had that installed, as I wanted to have a raisable mount, to add cellular antennas to.) (When in the fringes of coverage, and with digital, you're either on/or pretty much off with a signal now a days. (No longer getting to watch the snowy outlines and try to imagine what the picture is:)!). We've tried A/B testing between the antennas when a good distance from larger city sources. And have found now probably 7-9 times, that the Sensar would pull in a channel that the RAYZR Auto would not. 

Best of luck to you on the road ahead,

Smitty

Agree with you, but after I sacrificed my last crank up to the tree gods, decided to try the Rayzar auto. Did not expect much, but pulled in all the locals [35 miles] that my directional Sensar did. It is not cheap, [$299], but because it only use one coax lead, and no inside crank, you can put it any place you want. Gave me room for another solar panel.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:24 PM, Allentc2 said:

I quit watching TV a long time ago after realizing I was paying $150/month to actually watch maybe 4 hours of TV a month. I switched over to a Roku box (topic for another thread). But when I get on the road, it occurs to me it might be good to be able to see what's going on locally. What's a good antenna to have for picking up local TV? Preferably one that's pretty idiot-proof. LOL

Do any of the Winegard offerings that Newmar has as options fit the bill?

When you purchase your coach or RV you will have something on top for locals.  Depending on the year of RV it may be a crank up batwing or it could be some type of enclosed dome.  I would see how it does after you are in your unit for awhile. It is easy to upgrade and most upgrades utilize the same hole in the roof.