4 Ways Smishing Scams Can Get Your Money or Information

RV_

I'm just going to excerpt this and give you guys the link.

Excerpt:

"Cybercriminals have found a way to strip digital device users of their personal data, using a cyber fraud tool called “smishing.” Smishing scams compromise the target’s cell phone through texts or SMS messages, then swipe the target’s personal data once the user clicks on the text link.

Smishing fraudsters count on victims to click on links in SMS texts, which digital consumers often don’t scrutinize as closely as links in emails. Victims often mistakenly assume the content of text messages is private, from a trusted and secure source.

“Smishing professionals use text messages that lure you into clicking on links or providing personal information in response to a text message from what appears to be a trusted source, such as a company with which you do business, such as your bank,” explains Steven J.J. Weisman, author of the book Identity Theft Alert. “They’ll use other strategies, too.”

In recent smishing scams, fraudsters have used these tactics to steal personal data and cash from unwary victims. Smishing scams come in different forms. Here are a few of them:

Bank Scams

In this instance, victims are prompted by a text message appearing to come from their bank to respond to a feigned emergency by providing personal information like an account number. “If you provide this or other personal information, it’s used by the scammers to steal your identity,” says Weisman.

The Toll Call Scam

In this smishing scam, the message tells the target to call a telephone number that’s actually a toll number with charges as much as $19 per minute. “Often, you’re put on hold for long periods of time to increase the charges, which then add up,” Weisman says.

The Malware Scam

“In this scenario, smishing victims are lured into clicking on text links that leave targeted individuals vulnerable to ransomware or malware—cyber fraud tools can steal all of the information from your phone and use it for purposes of identity theft,” Weisman explains.

The “Service Cancellation” Scam

In this case, a cell phone user’s SMS message might indicate that they signed up for a service or there’s a premium on an existing service and are asked if they want to cancel, to click on a link, says Scott Amyx, an Internet expert and managing partner at Amyx Ventures. “That tricks the user into sharing private information,” he says.

The best way to stop smishing scams is to treat them like suspicious emails, experts say.

“Take the same precaution that you would on email to avoid phishing,” Amyx advises. “If you’re not familiar with the sender, content or unsure of the link, don’t click on the SMS text message.”

For much more and examples go to Experian's page on it here:

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/4-ways-smishing-scams-can-get-your-money-or-information/?ty=na&pc=crm_exp_0&cc=emm_c_m_pro_9970120180703_mktfttLeads_20180703_x_101

And here for even more:

What Is Smishing?

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/what-is-smishing/

Safe Surfing!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 7/10/2018 at 6:52 PM, bigjim said:

its even worse if you don't even know what  sms mesages are.

Those would be text messages.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 1 month later...

this is why when i retire i will dump this cell phone and get one of the "free" pay by the use phones.

no info would be saved on it. and i will burn it ( really in a fire)  every year or less.  but till i do need it. the battriey would be out and every part would be locked up in a metal box.

33 minutes ago, packnrat said:

this is why when i retire i will dump this cell phone and get one of the "free" pay by the use phones.

no info would be saved on it. and i will burn it ( really in a fire)  every year or less.  but till i do need it. the battriey would be out and every part would be locked up in a metal box.

Best make that a lead lined metal box . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

2 hours ago, packnrat said:

from what i have read alu foil duct style tape in a wood or tin box will isolate a cell phone from the world.  just must make sure 100% coverage in the box. including lid and seams. aka: no "leakage".

Don't they use aluminum to make antennas ? 

Better to not have the thing in the first place .

1 minute ago, packnrat said:

very true.

but for now i must keep one up and working.

( moms health, job).

but in eight years october.  as the crow says...never more.

We have a cheapo flip phone . It lays on the counter , off , but for about once a month DW calls her mother .

Our Monaco has aluminum sides and roof , kinda like a Faraday cage , but , here I sit interneting . ;)

5 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

We have a cheapo flip phone . It lays on the counter , off , but for about once a month DW calls her mother .

Our Monaco has aluminum sides and roof , kinda like a Faraday cage , but , here I sit interneting . ;)

a alu sided rv can hurt the signal. but not stop it. as many "holes" in the metal skin.

the box i was talking about does not. think continues metal coverage. no air gaps in the metal, skin.  i do not understand it my self. just been told it works. as i can will buy some alu duct tape and try it.

Archived