How-to Sharpen a Drill Bit

Sculptor

48 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/131824-sharpening-drill-bits/

You HDT folks are real do it yourselfers so I thought somebody could use this.  The price of a Drill Doctor put me off from buying one.  The link is to the Tips and Tricks forum.

Maybe you could interest someone in buying you a Drill Doctor for your birthday or Father's Day or Christmas or ...

I have one . Way quick and easy . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

27 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Maybe you could interest someone in buying you a Drill Doctor for your birthday or Father's Day or Christmas or ...

I have one . Way quick and easy . ;)

When I was young and steady, with good eyes, I could sharpen bits by hand nearly as well as any machine.  That was some time ago.  Now I use my Drill Doctor, especially on split points.  I still do them by hand if I only need to do 1 or 2, but it sometimes takes a couple of tries.

A Drill Doctor is money well spent.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I barely even look at the point any more  ;)  just takes a little longer to drill the holes now.   Just kidding.  I think I will be buying new bits before I spend the $$$ for a Drill Doctor.  The D.D. costs more than I thought they would.  $50-$60 up to 1/2".

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

When I was young and steady, with good eyes, I could sharpen bits by hand nearly as well as any machine.  That was some time ago.  Now I use my Drill Doctor, especially on split points.  I still do them by hand if I only need to do 1 or 2, but it sometimes takes a couple of tries.

A Drill Doctor is money well spent.

I just go out to the driveway and make circles with my old bits.  Works every time.   😗

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I got lucky. I bought a “new in the box never used” Drill Doctor at a garage sale for $10. Haven’t used it yet though and it’s been over a year.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

1 hour ago, Sculptor said:

I barely even look at the point any more  ;)  just takes a little longer to drill the holes now.   Just kidding.  I think I will be buying new bits before I spend the $$$ for a Drill Doctor.  The D.D. costs more than I thought they would.  $50-$60 up to 1/2".

I did that for years . Probably way more than a decent set of bits and a Drill Doctor combined . 

Sure you won't use it every day , maybe . But , it'll likely never cost you a penny for another set of bits . ;)

I keep mine in a zip lock bag . The dang thing looks as good as the day I got it and does the very same job .

It's one of those convenience tools . That's why you have to get it as a gift , so you won't feel so bad . :D

Goes around , comes around .

When I had the boat company running, We bought one of the higher end Drill Doctor models.  It paid for itself in 1 day.  Fiberglass is terrible on drill bits.  From 1/16 to 5/8 we used daily.  The small bits are cheap to replace but once you hit 1/4" or so, dulling 2-4 a day gets expensive.  

If I was doing enough work on the truck or remodeling the RV, I would invest in one.  You won't use it often, but a sharp drill bit is handy.  

For truck work, consider a set of reamers, or Bridge Reamers.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

It has been many years since I built the bed for my truck.  We carry a car so the bed is longer than many.  I didn't have a mag drill so the many holes on the frame and some other places that couldn't be done on the press, were done by hand.  I used the DD after every frame hole.  Without it I might still be drilling.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

IMHO, the DD is worth every penny spent.  I have had mine for at least 15 years.  I now only use Cobalt bits, which are more expensive.  They get dull too and the DD will quickly bring their sharp edge back.  I have the second adapter that allows me to sharpen up to 3/4" bits.  I also have several other drill bit sharpening jigs that attach to my bench grinder - but the wheel on the bench grinder needs to be kept in really good shape.  My grinder wheels can take a beating making for an imperfect bit tip.   The DD is so fast and easy owning one to me is well worth its cost.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I spent three months hand grinding drill bits during my apprenticeship.

I could get a good point on bits as small as 1/16" with a good grinding wheel.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Ever since we got a good drill press and learned how to use cutting fluid they last pretty good. By the end of they year there are always some broken and lost. Trade in the old set for a new one. I keep one set on reserve just in case.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

black and decker 4300 found on ebay. not sold new any more. Will sharpen any bit up to 5/8 like new. Yesterday while adding generator to my Volvo 2 bits went dull. Pulled it out and sharp bits again. It will pay for it self quick and you don't have to wait a year to get new bits. I am too old to wait a year for a new sharp  bit. Check it out.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

That looks pretty simple.

My boss went and bought one of these things that bolt to the bench after the drill DR burned up. He was all excited about it. until nobody could figure out how to work it. Now it just sits there in the way. I took it off one day and he got all mad because hes going to figure it out some day. Its been there for 2 or 3 years.

https://www.toolexperts.com/original-drill-grinding-attachment-825.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=GT825&msclkid=75b6527523561a30c139093e73895326&utm_campaign=CPCS Shopping | Desktop&utm_content=All Products

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Have a moderate number of holes to drill coming up. Also have a peach basket of old, broken, and dull bits. So, properly inspired by this post, I ventured forth, bought a DD, returned home & fired said machine up. 20 minutes later, happy happy, all sharp bits. Who knew. My dad had all manner of little electric whatzits, none of which worked worth crap. The DD doesn't seem to fall into that category.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Paul,

Did Paula let you sit in your recliner and watch NASCAR while you sharpened your bits, or did she banish you to the shop?

You know how "fiscally sensitive" I am, and I like my DD.  Money well spent.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

shop...with recorded Nash-Car

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

jenandjon

I have sold both.  The  $37.00 one is junk. Look up a used one on ebay and you will be happy.

Dan

jenandjon

I have sold both in the tool truck. The one for $37.00 is junk. Find a used one on ebay and be happy and sharp.

Dan

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Archived