Crossing into Canada since July 1, 2018?

BlueFlame

Has anyone crossed into Canada since the US imposed tariffs on Canada and Canada put their own tariffs in place effective July 1.  This is NOT a political discussion, just a query to see how the customs experience went.  We are heading into Canada in 3 weeks (have crossed the border MANY times over the years), but just discovered a whole new list of items have a surcharges.  Such as ketchup!!!  The full list is at https://www.fin.gc.ca/access/tt-it/cacsap-cmpcaa-1-eng.asp.  Table 3 is the one to look at.  Yogurt, soups, toilet paper!!!  Yikes!

So, what does this mean to us RVers.  Any clue?  Thanks.

I don’t think we will be affected. The items we have are for personal consumption, not resale. They will continue to limit some items, such as alcohol. That is so you will be faced to buy theirs at an inflated price. If they were to charge a tariff for individuals, think of the steel and wire in your rv. What about your vehicle? The tariff is for importation, we are not importing. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, AKmtnpilot said:

went across the Thousand Island crossing in New York. Same as before. Coming back into the US was the same. Canadians as friendly as ever.

Good to know.  Thanks!  We'll be crossing at Lewiston/Queenston in a few weeks.  It should go as smooth as it always does.

Remember to declare ALL alcohol,  acquaintances traveling with us didn't and were delayed for 2 hours while their entire MH was searched from stem to stern, then they paid close to $100 in fees for undeclared alcohol.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Those tariffs only apply to wholesale imports of affected goods - ie if a whole truckload of ketchup crosses the Border, it gets taxed.

Alcohol, Cigarettes,  have always had limits.  Handguns, Stun Guns, Brass Knuckles, etc complete no go.  Long guns possible with pre-issued permit, but can be difficult.

Have heard if you have Texas plates you are gonna get pulled for inspection, because everyone in Texas carries guns !

I crossed just above Browning, MT on the 2nd of July (truck & trailer).  I have South Dakota plates.  Was asked about alcohol & tobacco, and asked how I had my guns packaged.  I had none with me, but the way it was phrased made me feel they have prior knowledge of registered guns from the states.  Also, I made sure my feline companion was legal and all the paperwork was handy - never got asked any question about pets even though she was in the carrier on the passenger seat.  Small crossing, took all of 2 minutes.

7 hours ago, dirtyboots said:

and asked how I had my guns packaged.  I had none with me, but the way it was phrased made me feel they have prior knowledge of registered guns from the states. 

No, there is no national registry of gun ownership.  They just assume we are all carrying guns with us.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 hours ago, chirakawa said:

No, there is no national registry of gun ownership.  They just assume we are all carrying guns with us.

We crossed into Canada ~5 times in the past 8 years with MT plates on the motorhome and SD plates on the toad.  Not once have we been asked about guns.  We've gotten more questions about bear spray than firearms.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We visited New Brunswick two weeks ago in our  Texas-plated truck (no trailer). The agent first asked if we had any guns (no.) She then stated that everyone in Texas owns guns. You do own a gun, don't you? (Yes, but we have no guns with us). Finally she asked if we were aware of the Canada laws regarding firearms (yes). After covering stun guns and pepper spray she waved us on through. 

The entire exchange took maybe 20 seconds, and is very similar to the questions we've been asked on numerous other crossings into Canada. In fact, I don't think we've ever not been asked about guns, with the comment that "everyone from Texas owns guns".

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

2 minutes ago, momdoc said:

So what do you do???

Store them in a safety deposit box in a bank near by the crossing???

Pawn shop.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

11 hours ago, Britcon said:

Have heard if you have Texas plates you are gonna get pulled for inspection, because everyone in Texas carries guns !

We have crossed into Canada many times, always with TX license plates and were only searched 1 time. It was our motorhome and was very professional and left very little disturbance behind. Never bothered to check storage bays or towed vehicle.  While we have met Canadians who believe that everyone in TX has guns, I think the story that the border agents think that is an American myth. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

While we have met Canadians who believe that everyone in TX has guns, I think the story that the border agents think that is an American myth. 

As noted above, we dealt with a border agent just two weeks ago that specifically stated her "understanding" that everyone in Texas owns guns, and then went on to say "You do own a gun, don't you?".  And this was not our first experience with this line of questioning.

Myth??

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

56 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

As noted above, we dealt with a border agent just two weeks ago that specifically stated her "understanding" that everyone in Texas owns guns, and then went on to say "You do own a gun, don't you?".  And this was not our first experience with this line of questioning.

Myth??

I suppose I just lead a charmed life. We know many Texas residents who have never had a problem. You are the first to tell me of such an experience. 😏

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, momdoc said:

So what do you do???

Hey Mom,

Great idea about wondering into the local bank with a shooting iron in your hand....mmmmmm ....

I took a gander at my bucket list of REALLY,  REALLY, D U M B things I need to NOT do on my BUCKET-LIST .....and darn if I had to add this item to the do-knott-due-list... 

In my younger years I sometimes fly for some off-brand outfits to some sketchy locations... ....."$0metimes" the aircraft might seem to land at a location lacking customs......hummmmm 

Skipping customs is in the news these days but some bank locations are bit touchy about shooting irons....

Now a few years ago we were hanging around Wickenburg for winter and a scumbag decided to try to rob the bank but almost every customer had a pistol hanging from the ole belt......parking lot cams showed that the scumbag had to idle for half day between Safeway and the bank until he could Sprint in and rob the joint between armed customer's....

Drive on......($hould I take my Leatherman tool onto the bank..?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

In 14 years of running Texas plates we only crossed into Canada (Alberta) one time. That was in 2014 at the Sweetgrass crossing on I-15 from Montana. The Canadian agent said "I see you have Texas plates, do you have any guns, "no", any ammo, "no", any long guns, "no" any empty magazines, "no". Kind of gave me a grin, then said "I see by your passport you were born in Pennsylvania, that is pretty much like Texas isn't"? I said "sure is, the first day of buck season is like a national holiday". And we didn't have anything since I don't own any firearms. Really going from the Yukon back into the US going to Seward, AK. was a PITA. And the US agent on a Saturday morning on MT. 89 at Babb on the east side of Glacier National Park was sour, might have been because there was 6 fifth wheels in line waiting.

We also got a long interrogation on 'guns', ammo, number of guns we owned, etc., going into New Brunswick.  Never knew there were so many ways to ask the same question.  Our friends who were in front with Florida plates had almost no questions.  Luckily for us there were several big trucks behind us, so she finally waived us in.   They never asked about pets and the cats just slept through it all, though I did have their 'papers' ready.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Been going to visit my parents in British Columbia, yearly for about 30 years. Up to about 10 years ago, just a wave through, now more questions, and yes the Canadian Customs people have assumed I have weapons because of my Texas plates. Normally get a cursory coach inspection every 3rd or 4th time. I used to leave my weapon at a Wa. gun shop near the border for "cleaning" before I went across, but now you must have a Wa. drivers license to leave it there. Now I just leave it at a pawn shop and pick it up when I leave Canada. I pawn it for $5, so pay that $5 and about another $5 in pawn charges. Paperwork takes about 5 minutes for fill in.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

We crossed the border into Canada a couple of years ago and, like others, were made to feel like "everyone from Texas has a gun". We had already searched our truck that was used to cross and made sure that everything relating to a gun, including Shooting Times or Guns and Ammo magazines, had been removed and we were Still searched and made to feel like a criminal. I made a vow then that after serving for 34 years as a law enforcement officer, there is Nothing in Canada to see that is worthy of making me feel this way and I will never return. Sorry Alaska!

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:21 AM, mptjelgin said:

Myth??

Funny 

For the last six months or so I've been doing some contract truck driving mostly drive out of the Dallas area and then fly back .

With my Texas DL I've been asked if I was carrying a weapon  more on the east coast , mainly the DC area than anywhere else including Canada

On 7/28/2018 at 9:52 AM, momdoc said:

So what do you do???

I will never cross into Canada because I will never give up my guns. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Can not remember how many times we have been back And forth  across the border but only with Pennsylvania or Ohio plates. I do believe that we have been asked if we have firearms aboard as a standard on a list of questions.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived