Water Tank Sanitization

rogo88

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use liquid chlorine bleach...1/4 cup for every 5 gallons of fresh water capacity (including the water heater). Haven't ever had a problem with spilling it on myself.

(On edit: I use the same method as Linda Sand.)

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

13 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Pour a the bleach into a measuring cup then use that to pour it into the fresh water hose that already has some water in it. No swiss cheese involved.

Linda Sand

I do the same , except I don't bother with any measuring cup . Straight from the bottle into the hose . A little too much is better than not enough . 

If too much it just takes a bit longer the 'rinse' the system . 

Goes around , comes around .

Thank you for the prompt replies.

I am familiar with the standard methods of performing this function, but would like to try the chlorine beads used in pool maintenance.  Seems much simpler...simply add to the tank and fill with water.  I believe this method is in use and thot' I'd find someone who utilized it.

Thanks again for the replies.

Ron

1 hour ago, rogo88 said:

I am familiar with the standard methods of performing this function, but would like to try the chlorine beads used in pool maintenance.  Seems much simpler...simply add to the tank and fill with water.  I believe this method is in use and thot' I'd find someone who utilized it.

Ron

That might do a good job on the tank , but , the hose from the spigot needs doing , as well as the plumbing from the hose to the tank , etc ... 

Nothing is as it seems . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, rogo88 said:

Ron

Chlorine pucks for pools are slow release......I wouldn't used them in a FW tank.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

On 7/9/2018 at 8:14 PM, rogo88 said:

Ron

Read the SDS, some pool products contain heavy metals since they are not meant to come in contact with drinking water. I use Sodium Dichlor@ 70%, one tsp sanitizes a 100G system. It has no taste, so one rinse is all that is necessary.

This is a granulated product that must be kept dry in storage and handling.

This IS a hazardous material if not handled properly!!!

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I use Sodium Dichlor@ 70%, one tsp sanitizes a 100G system. It has no taste, so one rinse is all that is necessary.

Does it sanitize the water system the way that chlorine does? Not being a chemist, I really tend to think that it would but do not know for sure.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

15 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Does it sanitize the water system the way that chlorine does? Not being a chemist, I really tend to think that it would but do not know for sure.

Yes it works exactly the same as liquid bleach, however it has no aftertaste. Being 70% chlorine any user must know the hazards involved. For instance, getting the powder in your eyes will cause blindness, thus the admonition to read and adhere to the SDS instructions for handling and use.

I bought a 1# pouch of Sodium Dichlor granules 6 years ago, and have about half remaining. It must be stored in an air-tight container, otherwise if it gets damp chlorine gas is the danger. Available at all pool supply stores.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

6 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

No it is not the same as bleach.  

and yes, I am a chemist.

What do you think of using Sodium Dichlor granules in place of chlorine bleach for RV water system sanitizing?

In community water treatment. First choice is Chlorine Gas. Second choice is Calcium HypoChlorite. In emergency we used Sodium Hypochlorite. When I retired these were the only chemicals approved for use in potable water. Why use a very hazardous chemical when a gallon of Clorox is so inexpensive and readily available?

Sodium Dichlor is dichloroisocyanuric acid.   It is designed to slowly release chlorine in swimming pools where sunshine causes regular hypochlorite to break down to fast to maintain effective free chlorine.  NOT designed for potable water use.   And no, I would not use it in our rig.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 7/12/2018 at 12:24 PM, Barbaraok said:

Sodium Dichlor is dichloroisocyanuric acid.   It is designed to slowly release chlorine in swimming pools where sunshine causes regular hypochlorite to break down to fast to maintain effective free chlorine.  NOT designed for potable water use.   And no, I would not use it in our rig.

Barb

Barb, here is where I got my information and the idea of using Sodium Dichlor: http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitizing-your-rv-fresh-water-system.html

Art Knapp had the same information on his website, of course it and he are gone now.

here: https://goneoutdoors.com/rv-fresh-water-holding-tanks-4686452.html

and this paper backed by the WHO: http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/agns/pdf/jecfa/cta/61/NaDCC.pdf

Edited by Ray,IN

Ray

I'm a chemist and wouldn't use it for our motorhome.  I see no need to add additional chloride to our daily intake.  And while the claim is that the triazine ring breaks down without any problem in the mouth/stomach, my biochemist husband calls that claim suspect at best because there are so many factors in each of us as to the pH of both mouth and stomach depending upon the different medications and disease processes we may have.   Others may disagree.     

It is so easy to just get a small bottle of bleach when needed and use and then make sure to always dump and refill regularly from municipal water systems.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I am also a chemist and agree with Barbara.  There is no reason to use pool chemicals to sanitize an RV fresh water tank.  Pool chemicals are designed to maintain sanitizing power and to avoid rapid degradation due to sunlight.  That is not necessary for a RV tank.  Nor would I want to add those chemicals which have not been tested for that use.  In addition if the chemicals are in sufficient concentration, you are definitely going to need to drain and refill the fresh water tank after use. 

Use of household bleach has been tested, the dose and effectiveness are well known.  Bleach is inexpensive and readily available.

7 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I'm a chemist and wouldn't use it for our motorhome.

7 hours ago, JimK said:

I am also a chemist and agree with Barbara.

I an not a chemist, but I have done a lot of research on RV sanitation issues. I have been using the process linked to on our website for more than 30 years with good results. The only time that we have ever had any issue with this was the summer in KS as a park host where we were connected to well water (tested but not chlorinated) and our white water hose was in the sun all day, every day. That one time we did develop an algae problem in our supply hose and a little inside of the RV water system. The result was that I did another sanitizing to kill the algae, flushed the system thoroughly after letting the chlorine bleach treated water sit for 2 hours, and by covering the white hose with foam pipe insulation the problem never returned. 

Very informative/useful thread.  I'm not a chemist but I once slept in a Holliday Inn Express.  :D

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

The only time that we have ever had any issue with this was the summer in KS as a park host where we were connected to well water (tested but not chlorinated) and our white water hose was in the sun all day, every day. That one time we did develop an algae problem in our supply hose and a little inside of the RV water system. The result was that I did another sanitizing to kill the algae, flushed the system thoroughly after letting the chlorine bleach treated water sit for 2 hours, and by covering the white hose with foam pipe insulation the problem never returned. 

How did you determine that you had algae in your RV water system?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King