Parts for volvo mirror

Flying Finn

I have a 2001 VNL770 and the passenger side motor has seized up (tilt in and out).  When I took the mirror assembly apart also noticed that the sockets on the mirror base-plate are cracked and will soon fail.

Has anyone had to replace mirror parts and if so where did you buy them?

Thank you

Brad

Brad, this might be an age thing with these mirrors, but I have been having problems with mine for awhile now.  Of course it usually doesn't want to work when I'm blind side backing in somewhere!  I would be interested in where to get parts also.  Or maybe just a replacement mirror!  I might ask the cost of that the next time I'm in Volvo.  Maybe Volvo can tell us how many years that mirror covered their trucks?  Would rather have one from a newer truck if shopping the bone yards.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I believe, may be wrong here, that the Gen 2 Mirrors have the same bolt pattern and wiring harness.  I'm actually digging into this either this week or next.  Our Sturgis SD hail storm crack/shredded the mirror housings.  Granted they're from 1998, but before the storm, they were in 1 piece.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Double check the connector on the wiring harness. The mirrors changed somewhere in the 05 / 06 model year on the Gen 2. I have the older style and it’s very hard to find parts even in a salvage yard. I hope to find the newer style and swap out both of mine someday.

I am going to my yard TODAY. They bought a whole fleet of VN's a while back, and are parting most of them out. I can ask prices and if they will sell shipped. Mine is a 2000, don't know how many different "gen"s there are. But I can take a few pics for those interested. Where are you guys that need one?

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Our truck is a 2001 770. I found that the mirror housing (left & right plastic casing) were available from Volvo for about $45 apiece.  Chasing those at junkyards isn't worth the effort. The guts are quite a bit more, a full set is about $350 used and in decent, usable shape, not pristine. I have one of the new housing pieces, don't remember which one, will check if you want me to.  Also check with World Wide Equipment Co., they are a Volvo parts dealer.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Thanks for your reply's. I found a Volvo dealer in Duluth,  MN. (we are up the north shore this summer).

This is what I ended up doing.  It took me about an hour or so to take the passenger side mirror apart.  (hope I can remember how to put everything back together)

I found out that the left to right servo motor had seized up, the ball had been pulled out of the socket on the bracket that attaches to the mirror. The sockets cracked.  I was amazed at all the dirt, corrosion etc in there. 

I brought the mirror and all its parts to the dealer.  The motor part number is 3092045 and the plate number is 85102001. 

The price for these parts is crazy.  The motor is $175.00 and the plate is $54.10.  With tax $248.74.

A complete new mirror assembly was quoted at $1000.00.

No way I was going to pay for  a new assembly,  so I bought the parts as tough as that was to swallow.

You guys may want to look at the Mirrors and components on www.nuiparts.com.  I found those guys yesterday courtesy of Tom Stock.  They have the solution to my problem.

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

Jim, That website does not seem to work, but niuparts.com does. Correct me if this is the wrong place.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

That’s the correct site in your link  Trey, thanks for the edit.

fbcover2.jpg

"Submarines Forever"

Plenty of mirrors at my yard, but only a few older style like mine. NONE with the 2 separate mirrors on the same arm.  Didn't talk to the head guy, but if those are the ones you want I have a picture of them.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Rocky,I found the same.  I ended up searching only for VNL. I manually had to read descriptions from there.  

fbcover2.jpg

"Submarines Forever"

3 hours ago, Jim Hicks said:

Rocky,I found the same.  I ended up searching only for VNL. I manually had to read descriptions from there.  

Hi Jim,

It is nice to see that you are back. I think it has been a few years.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

2 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Jim,

It is nice to see that you are back. I think it has been a few years.

Al

X2

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 7/10/2018 at 7:44 AM, Flying Finn said:

This is what I ended up doing.  It took me about an hour or so to take the passenger side mirror apart.  (hope I can remember how to put everything back together)

Perhaps consider the phone camera function.  I often will start a project like that and then get called to something else and not have any reference when I get back to the original project.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:44 AM, Flying Finn said:

I was amazed at all the dirt, corrosion etc in there.

Could this be a maintenance item as in blowing out that dirt periodically when airing tires so as to reduce the amount of crud that gets trapped in there?  And if the cover can be removed, perhaps some dry grease once in a while?

Marcel

17 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

I'm finding that site is not very search friendly.  Put 2001 Volvo Mirror in search and it comes up with every makers mirrors and all the Volvo's seem to be 2004-2015!

http://www.niuparts.com/side-mirrors/4-pieces-volvo-vnl-mirror-combo-door-mirror-hood-mirror-chrome-lh-rh.html?___SID=U

It may help if you want to update the whole package.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hi Everyone, 

Tom Stock here well when I picked up my 1999 last January for a great price I knew that I would be making some major upgrades the mirrors that came with the truck were all duct taped together.  I found the mirror set up through Niu on Ebay initially. I also wanted to have the new Aero hood mirrors look which was never an option in 1999.  If you search the web sight you need to do a more general search.  Then you can go through the different options for mirrors available. If I remember right  I just searched Volvo VNL mirrors.  Then once you get up the description you can see the years they will fit.  These mirrors are not perfect but for the price I felt it is worth it.  Also the company is pretty good answering questions if they can.

Couple of things I ran into that will save a lot of money is the original wiring harness goes into the back behind the glass on the original mirror and you need to take off the glass parts by pushing up firmly to pop the mirror out of the plastic mount then have your wire snippers and cut all the wiring free from the zip ties. A small needle nose pliers would be handy to get the wiring free from the back of the mirrors if you have heated ones. Then feed all that out the bottom tube on the mirror mount.  You will have extra wire and you can feed the extra back through hole back into the inside of the truck along the firewall.  The reason is, I cut mine off at the base of the mirror on the uninstall then found that it was actually a wiring harness.  I then had to purchase the new wiring harness at about a hundred bucks a piece which well..... Sucked. 

Anyway the other thing is if anyone does purchase these mirrors and installs them you will need to go in at the bottom of the replacement mirror and loosen up the bass mount and twist it into place they are packed flat and when I put it up I was like WTH it doesn't fit. Then my neighbor that was helping me noticed that they need to be just adjusted. Once we did that the mirror went up in just about the perfect fitment.  Being an after market part they actually did a pretty good job on fitment. 

A good selection of star bits and hex bits new bolts for the mounts that go to the mounts and it is about an 1 to 3 hour job depending on mechanical ability of the installer. If anyone has other questions about these mirrors feel free to PM me.  I think they made my Gen 1 truck look incredible. Oh yea and if you had the old version of mirror on the front fender I actually  used 3/8 1/2 inch carriage bolts with big washers to fill in the old holes.  Today heading to the my PPG paint store to have them computer shoot the paint code so I can paint the carriage bolts the same color as the truck.  they could not locate the color from the VIN and universal code on the truck.  So nice to have them able to shoot it with their camera and find the exact color it is now after being 20 years old.  I would post pictures but my files are to big and it is pain to resize them.  I did post pictures on the Facebook HDT sight for those that haven't seen how they turned out.

Oh yea then the final issue I had and corrected was the brace mount where it attaches to the door is a pressure mount and when I took it on a long trip the wind would push the mirror out of the mount so I drilled and screwed the mount with stainless steel metal screws on the top side out of sight. As of now they have not budged one bit holding steady.

Stay safe out there drive on.............

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

45 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

Jim, Jim and Tom.  Thanks guys.  I was beginning to think it was me and.......I guess it was!

Thanks again.  I would rather just replace motor in the pass side, and maybe just mirror glass in driver side.

Rocky, if you have a little time, let me see what the insurance is going to do about my truck's hail damage.  I need both front and back housings and 1 mirror.  If insurance happens to buy 2 new mirrors, I'll send you a mirror and motor.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Rick, Alan, thanks for the welcome back. It has indeed been a while.  

fbcover2.jpg

"Submarines Forever"

Archived