Washer/dryer for full-timing in a Class A

Based on what I've read so far, I expect this to have mixed replies, but I'm hoping for some good stories out of this.....

So amongst you full-timers, how many of you have a w/d in your Class A? Why (or why not) did you opt to make that choice?

I am looking at Newmars in the 33-36' range, some of which have the option to have a w/d in them. After 50 years of sticks n' bricks, having a w/d seems "normal" but I'd read a lot of compelling arguments (leaks/bad equipment/added cost/small loads/etc) that make me think the laundromat idea isn't a bad one.

What has your experiences with or w/o a w/d been?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have had a Splendid vented washer/dryer since 2004 and use it all the time. We run 6 to 7 loads a week in it and each load takes 3 hours, so not all in one day.  My wife is unhappy when we don't have a sewer connection since that means going to the campground laundry.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

There are many good laundromats out there in RV parks and out and lots of opportunity to meet interesting people. You just need to observe one questionable experience and you think twice about what has been in the washing machine before you.  We have had a w/d since 2004 and really enjoy the convenience. We can do our wash during dinner and the evening news or early morning before we head out for the day and not have to spend time waiting in a laundromat. We are pleased with the capacity of our compact units.  We did make sure to get steel braided hoses instead of using the rubber ones that come with. DH keep track of all the wash and drys and they paid for themselves in 2 years now it is just gravy. 

A W/D was on our must have list when we bought our first ever RV in April 2015.  Finally found a motorhome we like in our price range with a W/D.   It's a Splendide.  Wife has never used it.  Repeat never.  I washed one load to show her how it works.  It works and works fine.  Apparently she does not like the 3 hour cycle or it has too many buttons/choices.  She prefers the campground washerteria or one in town.  Don't know exactly why.  She just says she doesn't like it.  I guess it's like me and broccoli.  I tried it, well force to try it, when I was about 6 years old.  Did not like it then and have not changed my mind.

If you actually plan to use it, get it.  If not, extra storage is always good.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

1 hour ago, Aggie79-82a said:

A W/D was on our must have list when we bought our first ever RV in April 2015.  Finally found a motorhome we like in our price range with a W/D.   It's a Splendide.  Wife has never used it.  Repeat never.  

I'm sorry, but I LOLd at that. A lot.

I have used plenty of sketchy-looking laundromats. Worst was one up near Aberdeen, MD. The locals using it all looked like they were addicts. Best one was in Alpine, TX, which was collocated with a coffee shop and a burrito truck. Clientele there all seemed touristy, but friendly and nice.

How does using a w/d work with boondocking? Is doing a load something I'd want to be hooked up to shore power for?

1 hour ago, Bill Joyce said:

We have had a Splendid vented washer/dryer since 2004 and use it all the time. We run 6 to 7 loads a week in it and each load takes 3 hours, so not all in one day.  My wife is unhappy when we don't have a sewer connection since that means going to the campground laundry.  

X2! Wouldn't consider not having one.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

After spending 18 months using campground and local machines a washer/dryer was number one on our upgrade list.  We just (8 weeks ago) took delivery of our new 2018  Tiffin 37PA and yes it has a washer  and dryer.  We have used it often and cannot imagine ever being without one again.

Momdoc

We are plumbed for washer/dryer, but have never gotten one.  Expensive - uses a lot of water which seems a waste, and small loads, the time it takes.  All reasons why I prefer to use a laundromat be it in the town we are near, or the campground facilities.   While waiting, I just read .  It takes about 1 1/2 hours to do 5 large loads, dry and fold.    I also plan the trips when I can combine it with grocery shopping or some other errands that need to be done.  ( currently 17 miles from town).    These 5 large loads would be at least 15 small loads in the rv.  That's a lot of time, water/ electricity and/or propane and I'd still have to drive into town for groceries.  On average I spend  $20-$25 per month on laundry.

Pat DeJong

We had no washer/dryer until this coach. IT was a REQUIREMENT in the build. Serves several purposes: dryer provides extra storage, washer always available (even on the road traveling)[well you do have to make sure that the holding tank has room], you know exactly what has been washed, laundry can be done on your time, no long walks involved [unless you are going to take your daily recreational walk while the machines work]. 

And get two machines -washer and dryer.

Make sure you get a gas (propane) dryer. 240VAC is 50 Amp service. 120VAC dryers have longer dry times, half the power available. The gas dryer uses very little propane, We have two 5 gal (grill size) bottles and each will last about 4-5 months between cooking and the dryer. 

Sometimes Lynn will run a load during the day when traveling. Just matter of dumping the tank when hooking up in a campground.  Three months in a Alaska, a lot of dry camping, we never used a laundry facility.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

We chose not to have a washer/dryer even when we had pre-intstalled hookups. I found laundromats a good place to get information about a locality or having time to read or catch up on correspondence. We also scheduled laundry trips alongside grocery shopping trips. The only time I had any concern was when there was a sign asking users to run an empty load after washing horse blankets. That made me pay closer attention to the insides of machines before putting our clothes in.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

We are long timers not full timers which means we still Still have a S&B  although we are not in it often. We have the same W/D as above since 2006. Yes we have to add laundry  soap, spin a dial, push a button and when it buzzes it is done.It was a must have after ourt first 6 months on the road.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

18 hours ago, docj said:

X2! Wouldn't consider not having one.

X3!  Agree completely.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Good question Allentc2. Like you we are aiming for a DP Newmar in the 33' to 36' range for our full-time adventure. We are planning to get a washer and dryer. However, we too wondered about the time and space. 

Based on the responses thus far, it sounds like the washer and dryer is still the choice for us. We might venture to some laundromat though. My husband is big and tall. I joke that he puts a shirt and a pair of jeans in the laundry basket, and the laundry basket is full.

Enjoying the responses. I'll have to remember the hose upgrade.

21 hours ago, Allentc2 said:

So amongst you full-timers, how many of you have a w/d in your Class A? Why (or why not) did you opt to make that choice?

We lived quite happily in our RV for nearly 12 years and didn't have a washer/dryer and we both agree that if we had that same RV we would do the same again. We chose not to have one for several reasons. We bought a gas coach because we are conservative in our budget and Pam wanted to start with a new RV that had never been slept in by anyone. We started shopping thinking diesel pusher but quickly realized that to buy one of those would require the spending of nearly all of the money from the stick house that we were selling and we were not comfortable doing so. Gas chassis meant a smaller RV and especially so back 20 years ago when we began to shop for fulltime. It also limited the weight capacity of the RV as well as space and the coach we bought had a much larger bathroom if it did not have the washer/dryer. In addition, most washer/dryers we found in RVs were small enough that you could not wash blankets or bedding in them so that would require a laundromat even with one. 

We both agree that given the choices that we had to make, we did make the best choice for us. We spent most of our time as resident volunteers for the USFWS, NPS, state parks or county parks and the vast majority of them provided laundry equipment. We still travel without a washer/dryer and here in ND it is perhaps 200' from our site to the laundry room. Given a situation where the budget was not an issue, if starting over today knowing what we learned on the road, we would buy a big diesel that has far more carrying capacity and includes a laundry. But we also feel very strongly that we made the proper decision for us at that time and would change nothing. Our finances were the #1 limitation on what we bought and history has shown that was the best thing for us. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

20 hours ago, LFDR3116 said:

We are plumbed for washer/dryer, but have never gotten one.  Expensive - uses a lot of water which seems a waste, and small loads, the time it takes.  All reasons why I prefer to use a laundromat be it in the town we are near, or the campground facilities.   While waiting, I just read .  It takes about 1 1/2 hours to do 5 large loads, dry and fold.    I also plan the trips when I can combine it with grocery shopping or some other errands that need to be done.  ( currently 17 miles from town).    These 5 large loads would be at least 15 small loads in the rv.  That's a lot of time, water/ electricity and/or propane and I'd still have to drive into town for groceries.  On average I spend  $20-$25 per month on laundry.

X2..... We full-timed 16 years; boondocked or dry-camped the majority of time and are definitely the type to get 2-weeks worth of laundry done in 1.5 hours and not have to think about it again.  If you use the town laundry they are good. It's the campground laundries that are the worst - vacationers wanting to get done fast; sandy beach towels, etc..  We've never encountered dirty equipment.  The washer uses water & soap. Why would they be dirty?   I smile when folks say even though they have a W/D that they take their big items to the laundramat.... the same folks who complain that the are dirty.  So it's o.k. for the bedding?  Or they say they take their dirty rags or rugs to the laundromat.  If they think laundramats are dirty then they're the ones contributing to it. :)  Again... we've never encountered dirty washers/dryers in laundramats.  We do our errands at the same time so we have more time for fun stuff.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I'm kinda in the same boat as you were in the beginning, Kirk. My budget limits me to a gasser, though I suppose if I find a great used DP, I have no one to fret about a used bed. Admittedly, I WOULD like to be the original owner. :)

The gypsies' logic makes sense too.

I'll come down on Linda's side of the fence. We're in a fiver rather than a Class A, but we are full-timers and have W/D prep and opted to do without. In three years on the road we have not regretted the choice. We like being able to put three or four large loads in commercial machines (including blankets, comforters, parkas, etc.) and be done with everything in less than two hours. We do this about every 10 days. We carry three sets of linens and towels and have enough of each season's clothing to last about two weeks. We also have more closet space without the W/D in there.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

We too are in a fifth-wheel that is prepped for washer/dryer. We decided from the outset to do without, knowing that we could add it later if we changed our mind. We're into our 8th year full-time and have decided that the space is more important to us than having a W/D. We spend much of our time in an USFW refuges and hatcheries, or state parks doing volunteer work. We usually have access to washers and dryers but even where we don't we'd rather knock it all out at once in a laundrymat than make the switch. Like most things in RV'ing, different strokes...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

8 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

We full-timed 16 years; boondocked or dry-camped the majority of time . . .

Well, that pretty much rules out even considering an RV washer/dryer.

We wouldn't be without our Ariston washer & dryer. Convenience, convenience, convenience.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

5 hours ago, Second Chance said:

I'll come down on Linda's side of the fence. We're in a fiver rather than a Class A, but we are full-timers and have W/D prep and opted to do without. In three years on the road we have not regretted the choice. We like being able to put three or four large loads in commercial machines (including blankets, comforters, parkas, etc.) and be done with everything in less than two hours. We do this about every 10 days. We carry three sets of linens and towels and have enough of each season's clothing to last about two weeks. We also have more closet space without the W/D in there.

Rob

We just returned to full timing last November.  I guess we go about it just the opposite.  We would never consider hauling around 3 extra sets of linens/towels nor would we have enough clothes to go 2 weeks without doing laundry.  For us, even with a 43' DP that would take up entirely too much space, much more than our stackable washer and dryer take up.  

When you consider hauling laundry from your RV to the facility, either waiting on it or constantly returning and checking on it, then hauling it all back to the RV, it made more sense for us to always have laundry on board.  We have had washers/dryers on two previous fivers, a gas MH, and now this unit.  We would not full time without them.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I am always amazed at the time ppl think it takes to do a load of wash in. An onboard w/d.  5 minutes to load, I always eat dry time for zero, when wash finished, 3 minutes to removed any item to air dry and make sure no pillow case stuck in fitted sheet corner, reset dry time.  When dryer stops, take out clothes and fold,, put away, maybe 10 minutes.  If nothing needs to come out before drying, reduce time from start to put away.   If doing towels, delay start for 5 am and wake up to warm dry towels.   What is everyone doing that takes so much time with an onboard unit?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

19 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

What is everyone doing that takes so much time with an onboard unit?

I guess they sit in front of it and watch the clothes go around! 😁  Our routine is exactly what you described.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

what they may be saying is how long it takes to do the laundry from the time the washer starts till the load is done.

Our Splendide combo takes 30 mins to wash and depending on the type of clothing   60 or 70 mins to dry. It takes maybe 5 mins to load the laundry add detergent spin a knob an push a button for the rest of the time we are doing other things so it takes us 5 mins to do the laundry and maybe 10 mins to remove and fold. I know this because I actually do it although wife does not approve of my folding method..

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We opted not to have them In our 5ver that we had built.  Being full time we wanted to Cary less weight and have more storage.  Plus we can go to a laundromat and do 6 loads at once if needed.  We carry enough under wear for 30 days.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Archived