Volvo 780 Parking brake reporting switch

LostSoul

Does anyone know where the parking brake switch is located? The switch I am looking for is the one that reports to the dash when the brake is set. Mine is faulty and reporting the parking brake on when it is off. I know the brake is off because the truck drives fine but the parking brake light and warning alarm come on occasionally. 

Mark & Jackie

Visalia, CA

USAF Ret

2011 Smart convertible

2014 Trilogy 3650 RE

2004 Volvo VNL780

Cummins ISX 530

13 speed

I am going to guess the Gen II is similar to the Gen I.  The Parking brake switch is on the air line to Parking Brake air module.  

On the Gen I is was located behind the instrument cluster.  

This switch also triggers the DRLs.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The problem was the air line from the governor to the air compressor. That fitting on the air compressor had failed. Unfortunately, it was an o-ring fitting and there were none to be found until I got to a Volvo dealer. I knew the air dryer didn’t sound right but I didn’t connect the two until I had changed the governor out and wondered why that hose over there wasn’t in the right place. Upon close visual inspection, about 15 seconds, I figured out the whole problem. 

Mark & Jackie

Visalia, CA

USAF Ret

2011 Smart convertible

2014 Trilogy 3650 RE

2004 Volvo VNL780

Cummins ISX 530

13 speed

Well that fixed the air problem but the parking brake alarm is still going off. First thing in the morning it takes about an hour driving before it goes off. After that it is pretty much continuous. Just can’t quite understand this problem.

Mark & Jackie

Visalia, CA

USAF Ret

2011 Smart convertible

2014 Trilogy 3650 RE

2004 Volvo VNL780

Cummins ISX 530

13 speed

Are you showing normal pressure on your air tank gauges.  I had on of minethe showed almost zero and that set the alarm.  One of the senders on the inside of the pass through had gone bad.  I think I googled the problem and found a way of figuring which one.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Archived