Proper Driver's License delima

Double Blank

Hello All -

I retire next year, but have purchased an HDT (2008 Volvo 780) in Canada that I intend to convert to pull a fifth wheel.  I am required to have a Class A Non-Commercial license to operate it here in Texas.  I can pass the "knowledge" portion of the test standing on my head.  The problem is, I must take the "skills" portion of the test in my "motorhome" (the converted Volvo 780) or equivalent vehicle.  But I don't have the truck yet.  So, how do I get it home from Canada without the proper license? I hope perhaps there is an HDT'er here in or near San Antonio Texas that would drive me over to the DMV and let me use his rig to take the test.  I will happily pay for the privilege.  I had hoped to fly up there, pay the guy and then drive it home.    Anyone out there interested, please call or click me.  If I can get my class A license somehow before I go to Canada, then I would be legal driving it home.

Any one had this dilemma too?  How should I resolve this issue?  Any help is appreciated.

My thanks in advance.  Regards to all.

Had similar issue before I bought mine in Minn and drove it back to CA.

I took the knowledge test...no problem.

Then I took my Dodge 3500 with my current 5th wheel to take the driving test.  Guy asked me why non-comm Class A.  Told him I was buying a bigger truck and bigger 5th wheel that would put me over the 15K trailer limit here in CA.  He said no problem.  Passed the vehicle pre/trip and driving test no problem.  

Had the non-comm class A in the mail a week later.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Most states either allow or require you to take the pre-trip/driving portion of the test at a private facility.  Most truck driving schools do that.  If you do not have your own truck to bring they will rent you one for a reasonable fee.  The dmv website for your state should give you a list of such facilities.

I took my class a CDL test in my own pickup/trailer as it just barely made the 26000gvw minimum to qualify to take the test in.  The private facility I used had a dump truck for rent for class B CDL (no combination) tests, and the same dump truck with an open pintle hitch trailer for the class A CDL (combination) tests.  The point not being that you need a CDL, but that those facilities will rent you the truck when you take your test there.

And YES you need a properly licensed driver to drive you to the facility as that is an automatic fail if you roll in driving the truck (unlicensed driver).

The way I read this you have some time constraint?    Barring that issue, many Community Colleges have CDL classes that take a few weeks to complete.     They provide a truck and trailer for testing and the cost is reasonable.     Take the CDL test and down grade if you wish later.    The CDL will require a permit and a medical but these are not costly.      The instructors are often state approved examiners as well so the school is where you would test.      This is the most cost effective and, the instructors are often retired truck drivers with great depth of knowledge.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Steve, he needs a Class A "license", not a cdl and that is fairly quick in Texas. The problem is he doesn't have a truck to use to take the test.
I had a Class B CDL (which is all a Texas resident needs for just the truck, anywhere he wants to drive it, including Canada) when I went to pick up my truck. I have since upgraded and downgraded that license. I upped it to an "A" and downgraded to a regular DL. 
While I wouldn't condone it professionally, I know a whole lot of people that just went and brought their trucks home with a standard DL and had no issues. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Big5er -

Thanks for responding and for the advice.  I think I found an RV driving instructor who will drive me to the DMV for my test.  I will rent a Calls A motorhome in which to take the test.  Once I have the license I will be golden to drive my HDT home from Canada.

I will double check, but I don't think so.  The class A "non-commercial" allows one to drive a vehicle in excess of 26K and/or a combined vehicle (truck & trailer) in excess of 26K.  Assume one only has a class A motorhome in excess of 26K.  They still require a Class A, non-commercial license.  So in that case, they would take the test in their motorhome.  Of course, once they have the license, they can operate any vehicle authorized under that licenses, which, in the case of a Class A non-commercial,  would include a truck/trailer combination in excess of 26K.  If anyone out there knows I am dead wrong, please advise me.  Thanks,

Assume one only has a class A motorhome in excess of 26K.  They still require a Class A, non-commercial license.

Not true. That would require a Class B drivers license.

The difference between the Class A and the Class B IS the (over 10000) trailer. For a Class B license you need to test with a single vehicle over 26000 and for a Class A you would need a combination, over 26000, towing a trailer over 10000. Got a friend with an F-350 and a gooseneck trailer with 8 tires on 2 axles?

You must take the test in the largest type vehicle that the license will allow. While a Class A license will let you drive a motor vehicle that is allowed with the lower Class license, you can not use that lower class vehicle for the driving test. The "motorhome" from your previous post will only get you a Class B license. You would need to tow a trailer (over 10000lbs) to get a Class A.
It's the long way around but get the Class B and go get your truck. Once it is set up for your trailer, take them to DPS and upgrade to a Class A. You can drive the HDT all day long (by itself) with the Class B.  

And to answer the disclaimer on your post, yes I know that you are wrong. :)  That is what I do for a living.

I know this flowchart says "CDL" but it is the has the same requirements as a "DL".

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

Not true. That would require a Class B drivers license.

The difference between the Class A and the Class B IS the (over 10000) trailer. For a Class B license you need to test with a single vehicle over 26000 and for a Class A you would need a combination, over 26000, towing a trailer over 10000. Got a friend with an F-350 and a gooseneck trailer with 8 tires on 2 axles?

You must take the test in the largest type vehicle that the license will allow. While a Class A license will let you drive a motor vehicle that is allowed with the lower Class license, you can not use that lower class vehicle for the driving test. The "motorhome" from your previous post will only get you a Class B license. You would need to tow a trailer (over 10000lbs) to get a Class A.
It's the long way around but get the Class B and go get your truck. Once it is set up for your trailer, take them to DPS and upgrade to a Class A. You can drive the HDT all day long (by itself) with the Class B.  

And to answer the disclaimer on your post, yes I know that you are wrong. :)  That is what I do for a living.

I know this flowchart says "CDL" but it is the has the same requirements as a "DL".

Big5er is correct on all points. I will just add that, when I moved up to a 1-ton DRW truck that put me over the weight limits (same 14K fifth wheel), I drove the rig from Las Cruces, NM, to the Texas DMV testing location on the east side of El Paso for the test. I was never asked how I got the rig there - they just proceeded to administer the driving test and issue my license.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, Brad NSW said:

Had similar issue before I bought mine in Minn and drove it back to CA.

I took the knowledge test...no problem.

Then I took my Dodge 3500 with my current 5th wheel to take the driving test.  Guy asked me why non-comm Class A.  Told him I was buying a bigger truck and bigger 5th wheel that would put me over the 15K trailer limit here in CA.  He said no problem.  Passed the vehicle pre/trip and driving test no problem.  

Had the non-comm class A in the mail a week later.

Since you don't have a one ton and 5er, there are driving schools who will rent you a truck and trailer combo to take the test.  Usually they will deliver it to the test facility (since you wouldn't be legal driving it there yourself).  Check Truck driving schools in the nearest big city and ask them if they have some deal like that.  I almost went that route because I wanted the airbrake endorsement...but figured I saved myself $3-500.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

6 hours ago, JPL said:

SC   Are you retired now? Where u be? If around tidewater give me a call.   Pat

The Old Sailor

Yes - since Feb 2015 (second time). We're in North Carolina and will pull out tomorrow for Richmond, VA (wife's mother). After that, it's Baltimore/APG to wait for another grandbaby to be born. 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Archived