Private rv not for hire

Chuck

1 minute ago, Chuck said:

What is a source for private rv, not for hire stickers. Did you place them yourselves or professionally done?

Howdy Chuck,

You can buy them ready made online, of just have a local vinyl shop make them up.  There were on my Freightliner when I bought it but I am not going to put them on my Peterbilt.  As some of our members who are in law enforcement have said there really is no need for them, just have your paper work in order and easy to get to if you are ever questioned.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I started out with magnetic signs proclaiming my privateness.  When they faded I tossed them and did not replace them.  There are fairly few occasions in which the sign would help.  At 55 to 65 mph as we pass by weigh stations, no one can read the sign.  I have removed the forward tandem axle (I’ve singled long) turning the space where the axle and tire had been into large storage boxes on either side.  The entire rear chassis has a raised deck of diamond aluminum plate.  The truck’s profile now is more like a crewcab pickup truck on steroids than a commercial class 8.  In four years no LEO has shown any interest in me, other than a couple of personal, retirement related questions at fuel stations.

The Volvo’s D13 engine is not designed to run at high rpms.  My truck gets expensive to run at 65mph, and at 65 I don’t see much scenery if the road has curves.  However, we spend six months of the year on the Oregon Coast near Newport.  The only north-south coastal highway is US 101 (usually just called 101).  The average speed on 101 is about 45mph, due to slow trailers and other RVs.  The fastest speed limit on most of the highway is 55mph.  Plus, during the summer, 101’s winter landslides must be handled, a difficult and potentially dangerous job that limits some areas to large areas of single lane traffic.  

John McLaughlin, currently in Waldport, Oregon “Where the Forrest Meets the Sea”

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

We took our first trip 2 weeks ago, our route was on a couple of toll roads.  Each toll booth we had the same conversation with the attendant.  Each stop I offered the paperwork and sometimes the attendant took us up on it.  It worked for us in West Virginia but not in Ohio.  (Ohio the attendant just nodded in agreement and charged us we think the truck rate.)

I am wondering if lettering would have made the conversation shorter.  

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I think it is mostly private preference since we have determined (I think) that they carry no legal standing. I have them and they have just been replaced this week as the truck is being repainted. My feeling is that anything that prevents LEO from wanting to talk to me on the side of the road is good. It is just something to give him a reason to talk to someone else. JMHO.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I have private rv signs and a truck stop in AZ noticed them and refunded the additional tax charged to commercial trucks.  The people at the local port of entry said they don't have a meaning to them but may mean something to local LEO's.  These signs have helped at some campgrounds.  I am not aware of these causing any trouble so I keep them.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

In California regulation sumthin sumthin requires all “motor trucks” except pickup trucks (with pickup body from factory) to report to weigh stations whether registered as private or commercial vehicles.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Ya, well, they can want all they want, but real life is what is real.  Cali is so over regulated and no way they can be able to know what all the regs/laws are as well as being able to enforce them.  Its like the Federal Tax Code, it is SO COMPLEX that no way anyone can master it, and it seems that each time returns are looked at, something else appears that was previously not seen.  Can be less or more tax owed.  Same is for Cali vehicle laws: look hard enough and every one will be out of compliance, even CHP units.  Watch how many CHP officers are on their cell phones while driving or how many motor officers split lanes when not lawful.  While I realize there is a reason for it and they are doing it while it is lawful for THEM to, it sets the wrong example and causes a distraction in their ability to function at the max level while performing their jobs.  They are human too.  

Seems that common sense is no longer common. 

Marcel

California is one a few states that allow lane splitting.     I have followed or been followed by cops on bikes splitting lanes on freeways and surface streets.      There are a lot of folks who say lane splitting is crazy, IMHO it is FAR safer than being in a pack of cars.  

ANY signage on a big truck "could" be construed as some regulatory verbiage,  a personal vehicle is just that, you don't see cars and pick ups with "not for hire".     Just my 2 cents  

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Yes lane splitting is allowed, BUT, at not more than traffic at 30MPH and only up to 10MPH faster than traffic speed.  But sadly it sets an example for too many younger riders who consider themselves invincible and follow that example(albeit without the training and experience of the CHP motor officers), and I have found that many dont even have the necessary M Endorsement, so they havent become versed in the law, and sometimes that has been to their own demise.  

Not for Hire is definitely an invitation for some curious LEO to satisfy his/her curiosity.  Without it, you just roll on down the road.

2 more cents for the pot.

Marcel

I lived in Calf most of my life before I retired. I was also a traffic court Judge in Calif. In most states there is a law preventing lane splitting. Calif does not have such a law. It is not necessarily legal it is just not illegal. The 10 MPH thing is also not a law. Calif Highway Patrol had a policy for all vehicles giving a 10 MPH window. It was revised many years ago that your speed must be safe for the conditions. 

I am also a motorcycle rider. When I took my motorcycle safety class with an instructor from the CHP. he advised us that it is actually safer to lane split than to be at the back of the line and get rear ended. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Well, I guess I need to review my Motorcycle manual as I seem to have remembered it the way I wrote it, but could be wrong.  I still have my endorsement but choose NOT to ride in So Cal as too many car drivers are not paying attention to motorcycles.  I commute for work every day and see too many accidents with motorcycles involved.  Something has to change!  Fatalities should not be the reason why we question things that dont make common sense, that being said riders have to be aware too.

As to safer doing the lane splitting, yes, sometimes safer to go FROM danger than TO it.

Marcel

California regulations are so bad that not even the CHP is able to answer the questions !  Cannot tell you how many times I visit the CHP office and present them with questions and get a blank stare !   I ended up carrying so much documentations to protect myself that I will need a bigger rig for the paperwork alone.  Getting harder and harder to live here.

2 minutes ago, Pug said:

California regulations are so bad that not even the CHP is able to answer the questions !  Cannot tell you how many times I visit the CHP office and present them with questions and get a blank stare !   I ended up carrying so much documentations to protect myself that I will need a bigger rig for the paperwork alone.  Getting harder and harder to live here.

Totally agree.  Cant wait to be in the position to relocate.  Soon, very soon.

As to lane splitting, just stumbled across this:https://www.dmv.com/blog/california-controversial-lane-splitting-guidelines-no-longer-in-force-521153

When governing agencies cant agree, and so they pass the buck, what are the rest of us to do???  Use common sense, oh wait, that is become a lost skill too.  

Marcel

Lane splitting and filtering became legal in Calif in 2016.  No doubt there is still some confusion though.

https://www.ocregister.com/2016/08/23/motorcycle-lane-splitting-gets-green-light-in-california-but-rules-still-unclear/

As for the OP's topic, when I get my HDT, I will not have the not for hire stickers on my truck.  If it's not required by law, fuggedaboudit.

4 hours ago, noteven said:

In California regulation sumthin sumthin requires all “motor trucks” except pickup trucks (with pickup body from factory) to report to weigh stations whether registered as private or commercial vehicles.

Motorhomes are not required to stop at scales in Calif.  I'm reg. as a motorhome, so I don't stop.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

On 7/5/2018 at 6:34 AM, Jemstone said:

I started out with magnetic signs proclaiming my privateness.  When they faded I tossed them and did not replace them.  There are fairly few occasions in which the sign would help.  At 55 to 65 mph as we pass by weigh stations, no one can read the sign.  I have removed the forward tandem axle (I’ve singled long) turning the space where the axle and tire had been into large storage boxes on either side.  The entire rear chassis has a raised deck of diamond aluminum plate.  The truck’s profile now is more like a crewcab pickup truck on steroids than a commercial class 8.  In four years no LEO has shown any interest in me, other than a couple of personal, retirement related questions at fuel stations.

The Volvo’s D13 engine is not designed to run at high rpms.  My truck gets expensive to run at 65mph, and at 65 I don’t see much scenery if the road has curves.  However, we spend six months of the year on the Oregon Coast near Newport.  The only north-south coastal highway is US 101 (usually just called 101).  The average speed on 101 is about 45mph, due to slow trailers and other RVs.  The fastest speed limit on most of the highway is 55mph.  Plus, during the summer, 101’s winter landslides must be handled, a difficult and potentially dangerous job that limits some areas to large areas of single lane traffic.  

John McLaughlin, currently in Waldport, Oregon “Where the Forrest Meets the Sea”

John, where do you stay in Waldport?  We will be there in August.

Thanks,

David Evans

KD7UCH@arrl.net

Archived