What company makes the best class c?

Ikeepsitmovin'

Hi I'm  a few months into researching full time RV life.  I'm still wondering what's the best Class -c to buy.  Can anyone recommend or warn against any particular manufacturers out there? For some reason, I 'm leaning toward going with Jayco and/or  Winnebago . Any experienced Class C owners please chime in if I'm totally off base.  Thanks so much for any info you have.

2 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

After all the research and casual viewing at various RV shows, if there is a Class C to lure me away from truck/trailer life it is the Winnebago, particularly the 25 in any of their presentations for the seating & lack of slides. https://winnebagoind.com/product-classes/class-c

Our View had a slide.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Two of us lived full time in our View for about a year and a half. My decision to go bigger was a mistake. 35' feet plus a toad changed the way we traveled--not for the better. I wish we stayed with the View.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We have owned 4 RVs...our newest is a '17 Minnie Winnie 31D. It is definitely worth checking out... if you buy new, plan to do a lot of camping the first year and mentally prepare for the need to have the "bugs" worked out. Between the dealer and the service dept in Forest City, we have made at least 5 visits. The issues have been resolved at no charge to our satisfaction. We've never had any problems with the 3 slides, the new system is very reliable as far as we are concerned. We love the extra room (our Lazy Daze was fine but not as spacious) and really enjoy life inside with the slides out. And our 13 year old Lazy Daze (we bought used) was anything but trouble free.

When we got ready to buy a new Class C, Lazy Daze scared us away with their price and lack of innovation. Very glad we switched to Winnebago. Lots of the issues that cropped up with the Laze Daze were LAZY DAZE stuff, not Ford or part manufacturer.

New or used?  I would go with a Bornfree or Lazy Daze if I were looking for longevity.  Bornfree closed up shop a year ago in May, but I have never seen a Bornfree with delamination like I have seen with many others, I don't they are "bonded".  Bornfree also have 3 tubular roll bars which adds to the safety.  Anyone going older and used, Fleetwood made a very reliable one with many in good condition still on the road.  

I cannot believe the number of newer units I have seen with delamination issues lately!

Cathy

Start with the understanding that ALL RV's along with most of the stuff built in. Motorhomes since 1977, I’ve owned a lot of them. My present rig is a '14 Forest River 24’ Class C, previous was a ‘03 Foretravel, 06 Lazy Daze 26’ ( the 2ond one). I went with the Forest River knowing what I was getting, the Foretravel & Lazy Days were expensively disappointing. Butttt, of all the RV's I’ve owned the 2 Lazy Daze were the best constructed of all. They had some design/construction issues, but overall they were best. I haven’t owned a Borning Free but did admire them, met with old man Dogen twice and was impressed with their construction techniques.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

1 hour ago, dewilso said:

Start with the understanding that ALL RV's along with most of the stuff built in. Motorhomes since 1977, I’ve owned a lot of them. My present rig is a '14 Forest River 24’ Class C, previous was a ‘03 Foretravel, 06 Lazy Daze 26’ ( the 2ond one). I went with the Forest River knowing what I was getting, the Foretravel & Lazy Days were expensively disappointing. Butttt, of all the RV's I’ve owned the 2 Lazy Daze were the best constructed of all. They had some design/construction issues, but overall they were best. I haven’t owned a Borning Free but did admire them, met with old man Dogen twice and was impressed with their construction techniques.

I don't understand your first sentence.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 minutes ago, dewilso said:

Oops, the phrase "are crap" was deleted somehow.

Wow. That is quite an encompassing statement. Pretty sure a couple of Newell owners might disagree, and probably some Foretravel and King Aire owners too.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

The ones who disagree have been blinded by the bling IMOO. I will say that after some extensive work in the Foretravel I found not one piece of particle board, but the wiring was like a mad person string caca.Lazy Daze was almost aircraft quality in that area.

The old steel Blue Birds were also exceptional.

Edited by dewilso
Added

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

2 hours ago, dewilso said:

The ones who disagree have been blinded by the bling IMOO. I will say that after some extensive work in the Foretravel I found not one piece of particle board, but the wiring was like a mad person string caca.Lazy Daze was almost aircraft quality in that area.

The old steel Blue Birds were also exceptional.

I'm certainly not blinded by bling, that's far down the list for me.  However, I can't agree with your representation of RV's as crap.  I think there's lot's of room for improvement, but let's be fair.  To build a 36' RV at "aircraft quality" would cost more than the typical small aircraft and beyond affordable for the typical RV buyer.

How many of us would be RV'ing if we had to pay half a million dollars for an RV?  I sure wouldn't, and I'm far from destitute.  I did buy a top tier fifth wheel and it has been my home for over ten years.  While it has had some maintenance issues and a couple of appliances have failed, overall it has been a solid, reliable home for me.  I paid $42,000 for it brand new, less than I paid for my eight year old pickup.  If the trailer had been built at the pickup quality, I probably wouldn't have been able to buy it.  JMO

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Hi All,

I have enjoyed reading this thread. Laura and I own a ‘05 Casita 17’ Freedom Deluxe molded fiberglass trailer. We have owned it for nearly three years and have camped over 130 nights as avid weekend warriors. We love it!!! I have 5 years until retirement. We are currently downsizing and thinking about a used motorhome (under 25’) in a year or two. We will keep the Casita. By the time we retire in 5 years, we should know if we prefer a trailer under 25’ or a motorhome around 25’. 

I am a fan of Coach House, Pleasure Way, Phoenix Crusier, Leisure Travel Vans, and Lazy Daze. I prefer the Ford E350/E450 chassis. 

Thank you for the insightful comments and this thread. Looking forward to adding a small motorhome to our RV travels in a year or so.

Thx,

Dean

Laura & Dean | '05 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe | '09 Kia Borrego V8 2WD

Very good traveling friend has a Coach House, the cabinetry looked nice until the hinges & knobs started pulling out of the particle board. We owned a Leisure Travel Sprinter van for a couple of years, was an ok rig, but as all rigs...especially 'B's' on Sprinter chassis....over priced.

I’d add the Phoenix to the possibles, no personal experience but the ones I’ve looked at  appeared to be pretty nice.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

5 hours ago, DeanCHS1980 said:

I am a fan of Coach House, Pleasure Way, Phoenix Crusier, Leisure Travel Vans, and Lazy Daze. I prefer the Ford E350/E450 chassis. 

As you look at the Class B ones consider the size of the black tank. We managed only 4 months in our Leisure Travel before we got tired of dumping that often and traded it in on our Winnebago View. Dave also wanted the taller interior of the View; he didn't like having his hair move when he walked under the A/C in the Leisure Travel.

Linda Sand

• 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Jeff & Suzanne said:

Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter.  http://www.phoenixusarv.com/2400.html  Black tank is 35 gal. . .gray 23 gal.

On a B+ not a straight B. But, my custom conversion was a straight B and I had had 40 gallon fresh and 20 gallon each black and gray because I had experience by then. However, if you are buying a standard B on a Sprinter chassis off a lot you will likely get a max of 10 gallon in your black tank. Our Class C View on  Sprinter chassis had big enough tanks so it really does depend on what you buy.

Linda

I'm full-timing now for about 3 months in my 2014 Navion IQ 24G. I think it is the PERFECT RV. I have had zero problems with it, the gas mileage has been about 18 MPG, plenty of storage, etc. All of that said, RV selection is highly personal. You have to shop and shop and research and shop some more. I have a friend with a Lazy Daze and she would have no other. I'm also a fan of the Big Foot trailers. But for me? Navion/View all the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Two Class Cs that have not been mentioned that I think are higher than average quality are Dynamax and Renegade.  The question asked by the OP was "Best", not best value. 

Born Free and Lazy Daze are also very good, as previously stated

Edited by fly2low

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

• 10 months later...