Batwing antenna

12 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Since the VHF band was taken for first responder use mainly because the VHF band has a longer range, I don't think there is much room for more VHF stations.  They may be renumbering stations with the remap function.  Most of the "VHF" band channels today are actually UHF remapped.  I guess stations like low numbers for promotion.

This was debated a lot back in the Digital TV transition.  Digital TV is not necessary HDTV but it is how all TV in the US is transmitted.  At the time, over 50% of US households received their TV via cable or satellite.  

The channel listings and changes shown on the RabbitEars repack list are the actual RF broadcast channels, not the virtual channel numbers shown on the PSIP station ID's. It has nothing to do with individual carriers channel remapping. If you're in the Huntsville, AL DMA for instance, WHDF is identified as channel 15 while currently transmitting on RF channel 14 (UHF), but will be moving their transmission to RF channel 2 (lo-VHF) under the repack rules. They will still be identified in the program guides as channel 15 (PSIP).

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

12 hours ago, solo318 said:

Not related to antennas, but to the question of shading. even a very small amount of shade on a solar panel will kill the whole panel. Depending on how the panels are wired,  it will shut down the whole array.   The big MAXAIR vents are another shade problem.

So I don't think you're over thinking it.

This was true in the old days. Modern panels have bypass diodes. I have three 320 watt panels in series and during late afternoon, one panel is shaded about 3/4. Voltage and current do fall about one 1/3, but that panel still produce some current and the other two still remain at normal charge. https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/bypass-diodes.html The solution is to install as many panels as you can fit. You can never have too much solar.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys,

My little 19' Scamp fiver is a fiberglass egg design. For some reason the previous original owners ordered it with a cable input jack outside that is wired on the inside opposite the place they wall mounted the TV?? It had no antenna inside or out.  So I was thinking about a Winegard or the King. But since I had the outside input jack I started thinking about a moveable outside antenna like I have on the house for OTA TV. I was also thinking about one that would do double duty inside and out. We had the Winegard on our 28.5' Sunnybrook fiver in the same parking spot and it did fine without the add on for UHF. So whatever we got I would know what it should get because we lived in that fiver for almost a year while the house was being done.

I wanted a nice looking solution and for some strange reason I decided to order this because it was a great price compared to the other indoor/outdoor/attic antennas that start at ~ 50 bucks. I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/GE-34140-UltraPro-Outdoor-Stealth/dp/B01BY033S0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It amazed us as it did better from inside the rig! Now that was when it was positioned under the cabinets with only windows and the shell to receive through. So this weekend I'm installing it under the cabinet, upside down and it looks great there. If we find in different parking locations it does not work as well. I'll build a little mast on the rear bumper and attach it when parking with some kind of quick disconnect. This one does much better un-amplified than the amplified leaf flat type antennas in this location. Many folks don't reprogram their channels when they move an indoor antenna and that is why many don't get good reception.

They sell these locally for more, but then you can try one and return it if it does not work for you. This save me a lot of money and effort cutting holes in the roof.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 9:46 AM, ms60ocb said:

I just purchased an ANTOP UFO  AT415B antenna for a fixed location. It sure beats anything I have ever tried

I mounted the ANTOP antenna on the end of the house and was really impressed . My RV Razor gets 10 channels (3 transmiier locations) and than marginal. The ANTOP gets 32 channels ( 8  transmitter locations) and all has been solid.  The ANTOP is mounted 2-3 feet higher than the RV roof mounted RAZOR. The antenna's are not side by side and  know a few feet can affect UHF signals.

On 8/18/2018 at 3:36 PM, RV_ said:

I wanted a nice looking solution and for some strange reason I decided to order this because it was a great price compared to the other indoor/outdoor/attic antennas that start at ~ 50 bucks. I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/GE-34140-UltraPro-Outdoor-Stealth/dp/B01BY033S0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

They sell these locally for more, but then you can try one and return it if it does not work for you. This save me a lot of money and effort cutting holes in the roof.

This looks like a good deal. As said earlier the ANTOP antenna in non-directional so my model may not work in the RV.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Found it here half price new: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202340073396

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived