Since the VHF band was taken for first responder use mainly because the VHF band has a longer range, I don't think there is much room for more VHF stations.  They may be renumbering stations with the remap function.  Most of the "VHF" band channels today are actually UHF remapped.  I guess stations like low numbers for promotion.

This was debated a lot back in the Digital TV transition.  Digital TV is not necessary HDTV but it is how all TV in the US is transmitted.  At the time, over 50% of US households received their TV via cable or satellite.  

Not related to antennas, but to the question of shading. even a very small amount of shade on a solar panel will kill the whole panel. Depending on how the panels are wired,  it will shut down the whole array.   The big MAXAIR vents are another shade problem.

So I don't think you're over thinking it.

12 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Since the VHF band was taken for first responder use mainly because the VHF band has a longer range, I don't think there is much room for more VHF stations.  They may be renumbering stations with the remap function.  Most of the "VHF" band channels today are actually UHF remapped.  I guess stations like low numbers for promotion.

This was debated a lot back in the Digital TV transition.  Digital TV is not necessary HDTV but it is how all TV in the US is transmitted.  At the time, over 50% of US households received their TV via cable or satellite.  

The channel listings and changes shown on the RabbitEars repack list are the actual RF broadcast channels, not the virtual channel numbers shown on the PSIP station ID's. It has nothing to do with individual carriers channel remapping. If you're in the Huntsville, AL DMA for instance, WHDF is identified as channel 15 while currently transmitting on RF channel 14 (UHF), but will be moving their transmission to RF channel 2 (lo-VHF) under the repack rules. They will still be identified in the program guides as channel 15 (PSIP).

Edited by Dutch_12078

12 hours ago, solo318 said:

Not related to antennas, but to the question of shading. even a very small amount of shade on a solar panel will kill the whole panel. Depending on how the panels are wired,  it will shut down the whole array.   The big MAXAIR vents are another shade problem.

So I don't think you're over thinking it.

This was true in the old days. Modern panels have bypass diodes. I have three 320 watt panels in series and during late afternoon, one panel is shaded about 3/4. Voltage and current do fall about one 1/3, but that panel still produce some current and the other two still remain at normal charge. https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/bypass-diodes.html The solution is to install as many panels as you can fit. You can never have too much solar.