RF Mogul vs. Travl'r

About to head to Elkhart area for repair on trailer.........and have about decided to get a roof mounted antenna. I can do the tripod and manual dish, but we have a lot of one night stays on destinations, and it's a pain.  Automatic rooftop would help.  We have DirecTV.   

Then I discovered (Googling) RF Mogul.  Then I found some bad reviews for Winegard Travl'r, mostly about repair.  RF Mogul seemed better.  SO I called the guy in Elkhart that is going to install it for me, and he said RF Mogul is ok, but Winegard has zillions of repair facility/dealers/installers (like him), and RF Mogul has almost none.

I asked which one he'd put on his trailer, and he said he has Winegard, no issues.

Don't want to do this twice.  Any thoughts???

Thanks.  

Bill

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God.
Lewis Grizzard

We’ve had the Winegard Travler for 2 years on this rig with only one problem that we fixed ourselves and had one on our previous C class for probably 6 years and I don’t remember ever having any problems. Love just pulling in and pushing a button.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

On our Travel Supreme trailer, the Trav'ler is 8 years old with no problems.

I managed to wear out the Trav'ler on the Bounder is two years but the circumstances were unique.  I had put a Hybrid LNBF on the Trav'ler for a  Hopper 3.  There is a voltage difference for the Hybrid LNBF from the regular DPP which made satellite seeking difficult.  A normal 2-3 minute search sometimes took 80 minutes.  We move about 40 times a year so the extra search time in two years was a lifetime of usage.    This has been resolves by using a DPH-42 switch with a DPP head on the Trav'ler, but the damage had been done.

So I did have to return the turret part of the Trav'ler to Winegard for repair.  Since I was out of warranty, the charge was $350 including the return shipping. I had Fleetwood Technical Center remove the turret and ship it for me.  I expected several weeks before the turret would be repaired and shipped to a place I was going to.  The repaired turret arrive a week and half after we shipped it in.  And Winegard repaired it under warranty anyways.

So with our 8 years on the Travel Supreme of no problems, and understanding what happened to the Bounder Trav'ler, I would only get a Winegard Trav'ler.

The Trav'ler is 10 pounds heavier than the RG Mogul and I don't think it is just from lead weight.  I prefer that the Trav'ler is attached to the roof with 22 screws and a sealed base while the RF Mogul sits on 4 feet with just a few screws.  I also prefer the roller the Trav'ler used to contact the roof when the arm in stored compares to the sheet metal sliders the RF Mogul uses.

The RF Mogul does allow you to be a repair man but for the $1250 Trav'ler versus the $1800 RF Mogul, I choose the Trav'ler.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We've had our Trav'ler for just under 8 years and it has performed without any problems.  The folks who like to promote RFMogul ding the Trav'ler because it has to be returned for service rather than being able to have parts sent to them for repair.  After this many years of trouble-free service I'd just have a new one installed rather than repair my old one. 

Another ding I've read about is that the Winegard doesn't depress low enough to allow for effective use in northern latitudes; all I know is that we've used ours at multiple locations in Canada and haven't had any issues seeing the satellites.The long path through the atmosphere at those latitudes can degrade the signal, but pointing in the correct direction hasn't been a problem.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We've had our Trav'ler since January 2012 and have even had it transferred from one RV to another.  We've never had to have any repairs done on it.  Rarely, it will get "lost" and we'll have to stow it again, disconnect the controller from power and start the process over again.  It's always found the satellites on the second go-around.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Archived