Quartzsite, RV parks, big rigs, wife retiring.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I thought I would throw this up here and see if anyone can offer any suggestions.  For tax purposes Donna, has decided to work next school year until December and then retire.  That means for the first time the two of us will be able to travel during the winter months.  I have heard so much about Quartzsite, I have read many web sites, watched tons of youtube videos but don't know anyone who has actually been there.  I am thinking that before we drive down there and look for a BLM boondocking site that it might be better to stay for a couple of weeks in an RV Park and use the Smart Car to do some scouting rather then risk going someplace I should never have gone with the full rig.  I have read many reviews on the camp grounds, RV Parks in the Quartzsite area and they range from awful to OK but none of them seem to stand out as being big rig friendly, reasonably priced and a place you would enjoy staying.

And so my question, to those of you who have been there, can you recommend an RV Park that you would stay at again, those you would avoid and things in general to be aware of for folks like us who have NEVER been there but want to see what its all about.  Thanks.  Oh the time frame I have in mind is February to maybe early March, that is flexible and open to suggestion.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

We have stayed at Rice Ranch RV Park twice. The sites are "BIG". We parked backed up to the fence on the west side.

The park is nothing special (all gravel) but good power and water.

The "Big Tent' is just across the road.

We have also boondocked just off of mp99. No need to worry with the rig size there.

ShortyO

22 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Same folks that own the Park where the WCR is held....

http://www.g7rvresorts.com/arizona/desert-gold/

Howdy DM,

Thanks for the link, that looks like a nice place, I sent them an email along with a photo of the rig asking if they can accommodate us.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

22 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

Mr. Cob don't do it!  They only allow Freightliners there!!!   Haha just kidding.  I am curious now so I commented to follow.

Howdy Sculptor,

I'll just tell'em its a Freightliner Classic XL. ;)

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 minute ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy DM,

Thanks for the link, that looks like a nice place, I sent them an email along with a photo of the rig asking if they can accommodate us.

Dave

It should be no problem. Have stayed numerous times while passing through... I’m only 64’

3 minutes ago, wtgeodog said:

We have stayed at Rice Ranch RV Park twice. The sites are "BIG". We parked backed up to the fence on the west side.

We have also boondocked just off of mp99. No need to worry with the rig size there.

ShortyO

Howdy ShortyO,

Thanks for the information. I don't mind being a bit away from town, not much of a social butterfly so being close to the big touristy stuff is not that important.  I would prefer to boondock but want Donna to enjoy the first trip down there so thinking it would be best to do the RV park thing the first time.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

It should be no problem. Have stayed numerous times while passing through... I’m only 64’

Howdy DM,

Well, I am pushing the envelope a bit, this rig is 72 feet long. :unsure:

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 hours ago, wtgeodog said:

ShortyO

Mile post 99 on what road? I'm looking on Google maps and not sure where your talking about as Karen and I are going to be in the area next January or February and looking at boondocking sites.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

I have only been there once, a few years ago.  I was there to work and we stayed at Quail Run.  Nicely kept park but not big spaces, at least where we were.  40' was sufficient.  We had a 36' 5er with an MDT and had to park TV sideways with some sticking out.

But BLM, lots of room with lots of help all over.  Town is pretty small but lots of people attend all 3 shows so they stay busy for 3 months.  I would like to go again but still working.

Marcel

If you really want to get the 'feel' of Quartzsite you need to go Mid-January to whenever.  That's when the height of the festivities occur due to the RV Show.

Also, I think you'd have more fun if you parked with any of the multitude of speciality groups.  There might even be a Peterbilt or Voltage mfg. group along with many Escapee groups such as the Boomers who are great fun and you'd definitely be welcomed to their gathering.  The Boomers (100+ rigs of all kinds) gather the last two weeks of January at Scadden Wash area. I-10, Exit 19 south; go to E. Frontage Rd and go to the end. Turn right on the good gravel road for 1.5 miles and they'll be parked at the big curve in the road.  Just show up and park wherever. They do many activities, pot lucks, siteseeing, seminars on various topics or whatever someone wants to organize.  Afternoon happy hour every day welcomes new arrivals.  Folks come in every day and some stay the full two weeks while others only a few days.  Drive to their site with your car and check them out along with the road. Then bring your RV.  You'll love it!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

15 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

If you really want to get the 'feel' of Quartzsite you need to go Mid-January to whenever.  That's when the height of the festivities occur due to the RV Show.

Also, I think you'd have more fun if you parked with any of the multitude of speciality groups.  There might even be a Peterbilt or Voltage mfg. group along with many Escapee groups such as the Boomers who are great fun and you'd definitely be welcomed to their gathering.  The Boomers (100+ rigs of all kinds) gather the last two weeks of January at Scadden Wash area. I-10, Exit 19 south; go to E. Frontage Rd and go to the end. Turn right on the good gravel road for 1.5 miles and they'll be parked at the big curve in the road.  Just show up and park wherever. They do many activities, pot lucks, siteseeing, seminars on various topics or whatever someone wants to organize.  Afternoon happy hour every day welcomes new arrivals.  Folks come in every day and some stay the full two weeks while others only a few days.  Drive to their site with your car and check them out along with the road. Then bring your RV.  You'll love it!

Howdy 2gypsies,

Thanks for your reply that is valueable and interesting information, sounds like a lot of fun.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Well, I'm just a bit smaller than you, but I've spent the last 3 winters at one of the Quartzsite BLM areas, usually at LaPosa West.  When I want a break from Quartzsite, I hook up & head down 95 to Imperial Dam, about 30 miles from Yuma. Both are part of the  Long Term Visitor Areas, $180.00 for 7 months, with access to fresh water, dumpsters & a dump station. You can move between any of 8 sites in AZ & CA with the same pass.  I keep a daily blog of my travels; here is last year's.  

If you just want a place to stay for up to 2 weeks, and don't need hookups, there are a number of free BLM "pieces of the desert" surrounding Quartzsite such as Dome Rock & Scaddon Wash along I 10, & Road Runner, Hi Jolly, & Plomosa Road along 95.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

I have stayed in quartzsite for a few weeks the past two winters.  the first time split between the Qual Run RV park just North of town when I had my battery bank & solar installed. Then boondocked at Dome Rocks it was nice. This year we stayed on two seperate occasions north of town off of Plamosa Road.  I have had no issues boondocking although I am shorter at 61' the only thing is that you need to pay attention to make sure it's solid where you are going.  As long as you do that you should not have any trouble. Enjoy! We really like it and will most likely return at some point again this winter!

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, Detroit 60 Series 14L, Eaton Fuller 10spd Ultrashift, w/3:73

No photo description available.

13 minutes ago, vermilye said:

Well, I'm just a bit smaller than you, but I've spent the last 3 winters at one of the Quartzsite BLM areas, usually at LaPosa West.  When I want a break from Quartzsite, I hook up & head down 95 to Imperial Dam, about 30 miles from Yuma. Both are part of the  Long Term Visitor Areas, $180.00 for 7 months, with access to fresh water, dumpsters & a dump station. You can move between any of 8 sites in AZ & CA with the same pass.  I keep a daily blog of my travels; here is last year's.  

If you just want a place to stay for up to 2 weeks, and don't need hookups, there are a number of free BLM "pieces of the desert" surrounding Quartzsite such as Dome Rock & Scaddon Wash along I 10, & Road Runner, Hi Jolly, & Plomosa Road along 95.

Howdy vermilye,

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

14 minutes ago, dmk said:

I have stayed in quartzsite for a few weeks the past two winters.  the first time split between the Qual Run RV park just North of town when I had my battery bank & solar installed. Then boondocked at Dome Rocks it was nice. This year we stayed on two seperate occasions north of town off of Plamosa Road.  I have had no issues boondocking although I am shorter at 61' the only thing is that you need to pay attention to make sure it's solid where you are going.  As long as you do that you should not have any trouble. Enjoy! We really like it and will most likely return at some point again this winter!

Howdy dmk,

Thanks, I have been thinking of having some solar work done to my trailer, not a big layout but enough to help cut down generator time, I have heard it can be done reasonably at Quartzsite.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

By February and March, most of the activities will be done with...certainly, the "Big Tent" will be down.  There is some stuff that goes to the end of February and one that goes to the end of March ( https://www.desertusa.com/cities/az/quartzsite.html#anchor832166 ), but January is THE time to be there is you really want to experience Quartzsite.

You would have absolutely no problem camping on any of the BLM land around town...either free or paid LTVA.  You can purchase an LTVA sticker for $40 for 14 days and renew as often as you want (an annual permit costs $180 and is good for the 7-month season, 9/15 through 4/15).  This would give you access to a dump, fresh water, and garbage.

Here are where the free BLM areas around Q are located:

1. Hi Jolly - N33.709585 W114.216923 - north of Q on the east side of AZ-95
  2. Plomosa Road - N33.748927 W114.216928 - north of Hi Jolly on the east side of AZ-95
  3. Scadden Wash - N33.666087 W114.181311 - east of Q on the frontage road south of I-10
  4. Dome Rock - N33.641464 W114.305413 - west of Q on the frontage road south of I-10.  You can also access this area off of Cholla Road at N33.643890 W114.268907
  5. Road Runner (MM 95) - N33.529809 W114.217302 - on the west side of US-95

Here are the 4 LTVAs in Q:

1. La Posa West & North - N33.651756 W114.217118 - La Posa West is on the west side of US-95, La Posa North is on the east side of US-95
  2. Tyson Wash & La Posa South - N33.626487 W114.217102 - Tyson Wash is on the west side of US-95, La Posa South is on the east side of US-95 (this is where the dump, fresh water, and trash containers are located)

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

5 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy dmk,

Thanks, I have been thinking of having some solar work done to my trailer, not a big layout but enough to help cut down generator time, I have heard it can be done reasonably at Quartzsite.

Dave

There are two solar installers in Quartzsite that seem to get the most business.  I would choose Discount Solar, and I have heard many bad reviews of Solar Bill.  As far as reasonable, that is subjective, and I have priced solar products at these stores, and neither comes close to the prices you can get online.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

I had my work done at Solar Bill's, they did a very good job for me. I did stop in at Starlight Solar in Yuma and Discount Solar in Q, neither would hardly give me the time of day. Solar Bill's even though they were extremely busy was friendly, competitively priced, and took care of my needs in a timely manner and with quality workmanship. I would not hesitate using them again in the future.  Not sure why people don't seem to mind talking bad about this place and especially when they heard  it second hand with no first hand experience!  I have plenty of electrical & mechanical experience to know a quality job when I see it. Would've done my own installation if my tools weren't 1500 miles away.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, Detroit 60 Series 14L, Eaton Fuller 10spd Ultrashift, w/3:73

No photo description available.

The idea of going to "Q" is to stay on the BLM land and participate in the activities. IMO it is a experience a Rv'er should have at least once, We have been there twice which was once to many.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

9 minutes ago, richfaa said:

The idea of going to "Q" is to stay on the BLM land and participate in the activities. IMO it is a experience a Rv'er should have at least once, We have been there twice which was once to many.

We have been there nine years in a row, and have not gotten tired of it.  We have friends we meet there every year and some have been coming for about 20 years and still enjoy the experience.  Different strokes, for different folks.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

We fully agree "Q" was a experience  and we enjoyed the experience. We do not boondock and camping on BLM land is not our "cup of tea". I should have said been there 3 times as we stayed at campground  one time but IMO staying at a campground does not count. 

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

2 hours ago, richfaa said:

I flew into Quartzsite once to get a Beech 18, I'm good forever!

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Try Slab City...

Archived