truck purchase out of state TX

Do all the paperwork required at the state your purchasing is. Pending how long it is before you return to Texas you may drive on on a 30 day temporary. If you drive back immediately just go to your county clerk and complete paper work or for delayed return Apply for title & license by Phone and mail. By phone find fees and sales tax to pay. Are you trading trucks you can transfer plates. Anyway you will have do a self inspection of the truck to get the registration and then you 3 days to get the inspection upon entering Texas. Do get the truck insured.

Forms needed are available online by doing a Texas search   TxDMV.gov     It your gone longer than the 30 days a second temporary  plate may be required.

Ohio is the only state I have had delays as then I had to correct the Ohio Title to my name before I got the title to transfer.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Or  call the. Polk County Tax Aaessors Office, assuming you’re an Escapee, tell them what you want to do and they will tell you which forms to download, what amount to send, etc.  They do this all of the time.   They know about Fulltimers. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We've done this twice in the last 18 months (1 truck, 1 car). As Barb says, the Polk County Tax Assessor-Collector does this all the time and is very helpful. Our Escapees mail service forwarded the plates too us as soon as they arrived in our mail basket.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

The State where you buy the vehicle may also have some rules for you. We recently purchased a towed in Tennessee, but are SD residents. The dealer required us to pay the SD sales tax to them and they then took care of registering the car in SD. I was a bit concerned because our registration was coming up soon and I didn't want to be caught with expired plates. I called SD and found out that the new registration has been sent out a couple of days earlier, and we got it in our next mail packet.

Some dealers are very familiar with out of State registrations, while others don't have a clue. Generally, though, most dealerships will be able to figure it out.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

We have bought out of state on two occasions and in both cases, the dealer didn't collect any sales tax but gave us the paperwork and we took care of registration and payment of sales tax. Doing it that we you can't roll the sales tax into the payments but we were not financing anyway. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived