Dodge 3500 toad

noteven

Not sure if this be the right forum to ask - I’m interested in flat towing my Dodge 3500 manual trans 4x4 pickup. It is a diesel. Scouting for info on brake actuator systems etc. 

Any info would be appreciated. 

Thanks

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I like the Invisibrake system.  It is always in the vehicle and once installed, takes no intervention from you to make it work.  I have it in my Jeep and have been very happy with it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

It would have if I had towed it in. ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If buying a new toad brake assist today, and being pulled behind a DP, I'd go with the Air Force One. 

Our US Gear, has served us well since 2007, but new ones are hard to locate now a days. (Bought a spare unit off a fell Escapee a few years back, because the brains can sometimes go out, and at the price I got it at - good to have some extra parts:)!)

Be sure you get a heavy duty enough Tow Bar system. Was helping a gent (Arm in a sling) hook up his F250 4X4 behind his coach, and noticed he had only a 5K Lbs capacity Stirling. When I pointed out to them, he said he did not realize they came in different size capacity ranges. That the Stirling had come on the coach when he bought it about three months ago. He had a shell on the truck, and lots of gear/weight in the bed of that truck. Suggested he call the manufacturer and discuss his load, and see what they thought. (I knew already, he was over weight, and this was an accident potential waiting to happen.)

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

As a towed the truck and Alaskan camper weigh 9900lbs.

I forgot to mention I would be towing behind an air brake truck and electric brake trailer. 

Brake Buddy - I will have to check with them how they think it will function with my configuration. 2 electric brake towed units sharing input from the locomotive...

Invisibrake is not recommended for Dodge 3500.

Air Foce 1 looks promising. I can supply it with brake application air right off the trailer brake system on the KW. 

Thanks

Check out the M&G braking system, once installed and calibrated, it is permanent. The only item to hook up is the air line to your air-braked truck.

You might want to do more research, that doubles combination is not legal in some states.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

16 hours ago, jpcoll01 said:

Why not Ready Brute tow bar/brakes. I love that system towing my Wrangler. Nothing electronic to mess up and the braking works great. 

My possible toad weighs 10,000lbs - capacity stated is 8000lbs. Nice simple tech.

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Check out the M&G braking system, once installed and calibrated, it is permanent. The only item to hook up is the air line to your air-braked truck.

You might want to do more research, that doubles combination is not legal in some states.

Dodge 2500/3500 diesels are a no go in their compatibility list.

Archived