Test Run

Sheepdog5749

My wife and I are looking to make a run at full time RVing in about 4 years. My thoughts are to purchase a used Montana 5th Wheel to use for a couple of years and then purchase a Mobile Suites that is only a year or so old to full time in. 

Question: Should the Montana be 4-6 years old (say $30K-$40K) or an older model ($20K)? I realize that it is a depreciating asset but where does the depreciation start to slow. Since we would be only using it for a few years, would I be better off with something nearing the end of its life or middle age? The purchase would be a cash sale so financing need not be considered. 

I'm not sure if I have expressed by thoughts clear enough so any additional information needed can be given. Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. You have 2 plus's by your name. Your asking before you bite the bullet and looking at used 5th wheel to full time. Age does make to much difference on some MFG's model but the maintenance up keep does make the difference. I had a 2010 Montana and liked it but it was easy to overload for long term travels. Many used RV's are over priced on a lots so look them over good. How is the chalking? One long term leak will not make you a Happy Camper. The ST tires on a RV lasts about 3 years and are the China bomb and you will see the damage. Everyone has one occur sometime unless care was taken. Just indications of maintenance.

There is alot to search on this forum. Enjoy

Clayton now with 40 foot DRV FW towed by a class 5 truck

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Welcome to the Escapee forums! It is great having you with us.

As you shop used RVs it is important to remember that the older the RV is, the more careful you need to be in checking it over. RV appliances have a lifespan of 10 to 20 years, depending upon the amount of use. At some point, you can expect them to fail and need to be replaced. If you know that an RV was lived in fulltime, the appliances will have far more wear than if the RV was only used for vacations and weekends. The catch is in knowing for sure which was the case. It is usually a good plan to pay a professional to inspect the used RV before you make any purchase. Either a professional RV inspection service or a mobile RV tach can do the job but expect them to spend 2 to 3 hours at least and to pay around $300 with a well-written report. Any significant signs of prolonged leak problems is a bad thing, whether the leak is in the roof or in the plumbing. In older RVs the care and maintenance is everything.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We started our first full timing adventure several years ago in a 3 year old Montana fiver (3800RL).  We purchased it from a private seller and it already had upgraded new G rated tires.  It served us well for a couple of years with little or no depreciation.  Since you have time the key is to take your time and find one at a good price.  We concentrated on private sellers and tried to stay away from dealers.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Your  plan on a test run is a very good one. We did the same thing back in 2006. We decided not to full time but long time. We now have a 2013 3402 Montana with a GVW of 16K. Full timers tend to run heavy so  your thought of a  Mobile Suites  is a good one. We are running right at our limit with the truck and Montana we have now. Our first Montana was a 2006 3400,We traveled in it for over 6 years and many, many miles.Both of the Montana's served us well with over 100K miles traveled  between the two of them.

Your plan of a used RV is a good one in 3 or 4 years all the bugs  should  be worked out of a good used RV.  Since you are leaning towards a Montana  I would say that you can easily  purchased a 4 to 6 year old  one in the price range you mentioned but do not overlook other brands. 

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

20 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

RV appliances have a lifespan of 10 to 20 years, depending upon the amount of use. At some point, you can expect them to fail and need to be replaced. If you know that an RV was lived in fulltime, the appliances will have far more wear than if the RV was only used for vacations and weekends.

It is usually a good plan to pay a professional to inspect the used RV before you make any purchase. Either a professional RV inspection service or a mobile RV tach can do the job but expect them to spend 2 to 3 hours at least and to pay around $300 with a well-written report. Any significant signs of prolonged leak problems is a bad thing, whether the leak is in the roof or in the plumbing. In older RVs the care and maintenance is everything.

Good to know about the appliances, that had not crossed my mind. I was also unsure if an inspection was worth the money ($600 in my area of FL), but I'm sure one large repair/replacement and it would have paid for itself. Kinda like insurance, hate paying the bill until you need it!

8 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

It served us well for a couple of years with little or no depreciation. 

We concentrated on private sellers and tried to stay away from dealers.

Just the kind of input I am looking for, thanks.

5 hours ago, richfaa said:

Both of the Montana's served us well with over 100K miles traveled  between the two of them. Your plan of a used RV is a good one in 3 or 4 years all the bugs  should  be worked out of a good used RV.  Since you are leaning towards a Montana  I would say that you can easily  purchased a 4 to 6 year old  one in the price range you mentioned but do not overlook other brands. 

Are there some particular brands that you have experience with and would recommend?

1 hour ago, Sheepdog5749 said:

Good to know about the appliances, that had not crossed my mind. I was also unsure if an inspection was worth the money ($600 in my area of FL), but I'm sure one large repair/replacement and it would have paid for itself. Kinda like insurance, hate paying the bill until you need it!

Just the kind of input I am looking for, thanks.

Are there some particular brands that you have experience with and would recommend? No I don't.we have not had a appliance fail in either of our Montana's.We are long timers and use these things hard.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived