Any advice for singles?

FunSeeker

You don't say if you are a full timer or not.  Me, I am.

If you are a bit of a joiner in organizations, look for some of the singles rv groups.  Escapees has one and would be a good starting place.  I will admit I've dropped out of the singles rv groups as there were beginning to be more and more "singles" traveling with others.  To me that defeats the purpose of a singles group.  But, that is just me.

I have been traveling alone for 11 years and have joined organizations associated with my rv manufacturer and several FMCA chapters.  Each has rallies around the country that allow you to meet others with similar lifestyles or interests.

I also do Habitat for Humanity builds.  About 3 a year.  The RV Caravanners website posts locations and dates of builds.  Each build is approximately 2 weeks.  This is a great way to meet others and do something good.  I've gotten to the point I can drive most nails without bending them.

I'm not a single, but the advice I would give is to join in.  Go to the potluck, sit around the fire with the others, go to the mardi gras parade with everyone else etc.   We are full-time and see so many singles that pull into the parks but then just stay inside.  They don't even try to meet other people.  I  know some people are loners and that's okay , but if you can be social, do so.  You will meet a lot of new friends.

Pat DeJong

Consider joining your Escapees graduation class. The class of 2008 had both singles and couples and we all get along just fine. Of course, not all of those singles stayed single and we are fine with that, too.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I really don't see why the advice would be significantly different for a single than for a couple? Isn't the point of the RV life to travel and enjoy doing the things you enjoy most? The differences in living single, as a couple, or as a family are the same no matter what sort of home you choose to live in. If you are looking to become a fulltime RVer then it is important to remember that this will not be a vacation where you take a break from your present life, putting everything aside for the trip. No matter who you are, when you choose to live in an RV all of the life problems and baggage will be traveling with you. If you enjoy spending time alone that will remain true but if you happen to prefer a lively social life, that will continue also. You need to realize that your personal preferences will not change and plan ways to adapt them or to include them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You should look at joining the http://xscapers.com/. It's a sub group of the Escapees and they really have started to focus on convergences and community. Convergences are usually week long events with lots of fun activities and stuff planned through the week There are many single people that attend these events along with couples and it is really a great time. Many of us refer to the group as "our tribe" as we have made some great life long friends and met so many great people while traveling. Yesterday actually just wrapped up a week long convergence that was held just outside Deadwood, SD. We are actually staying here another week to hang out. 

My wife and I went to our first convergence at the annual bash in Quartzsite earlier this year and loved it and this was our 4th convergence. We leave here and head to the CO one next. There's a group here that is going to leave this convergence and travel together west as they head towards the Oregon convergence at the end of August. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

31 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

You nailed it with this post!!! I really like the convergence concept and believe this could be what FunSeeker is seeking.

Yep most of us that join the Xscapers and attend events love it. This SD one was pretty small and we really got to know everyone very well through the week plus reconnect with friends we had made at previous convergences! I do think FunSeeker will enjoy it. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Thanks for all the advice so far .... I wanted to get some other view points. From just about every other online post or blog I've read so far, RV'ing seems to have a couples theme. I know there's got to be a lot of singles out there doing this too, just curious what tips they have to share to make the whole experience fun. I've been divorced for awhile, but really think the RV lifestyle is for me.

7 minutes ago, FunSeeker said:

Thanks for all the advice so far .... I wanted to get some other view points. From just about every other online post or blog I've read so far, RV'ing seems to have a couples theme. I know there's got to be a lot of singles out there doing this too, just curious what tips they have to share to make the whole experience fun. I've been divorced for awhile, but really think the RV lifestyle is for me.

Makes not a bit of difference , single or coupled .

"People are just as happy as they make up their 
minds to be.” ― Abraham Lincoln 

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, FunSeeker said:

know there's got to be a lot of singles out there doing this too, just curious what tips they have to share to make the whole experience fun. 

Have you checked out Loners on Wheels? They are all singles and have events you can attend. Plus they have a park in Deming, NM, called the LoW High Ranch where one of our 2008 classmates spent a bunch of time.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, FunSeeker said:

I know there's got to be a lot of singles out there doing this too, just curious what tips they have to share to make the whole experience fun.

It is true that couples are the more common in the RV community but I doubt that is any more true in RVs than any other lifestyle. If looking for social connections the singles groups are probably a good idea but they are not the only way. We have several friends who RV as singles and have chosen not to belong to any of those groups. In addition to those mentioned, take a look at RV Singles Travel Club, or RV-Singles.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

Have you checked out Loners on Wheels? They are all singles and have events you can attend. Plus they have a park in Deming, NM, called the LoW High Ranch where one of our 2008 classmates spent a bunch of time.

Linda Sand

We stayed there a few nights . A decent park that we wouldn't be against visiting again . 

Goes around , comes around .

• 2 months later...

As far as being a single male who lost his mate a few year ago, I also worried about the thought of being alone out here in the RV world kind of concerned me a little. So if your worried about fitting in somewhere, don't. There's a lot of us that like our alone time, and our social time. I have a home base at a Co-Op Park where I stay during the winter months, and I travel, or as of right now I'm staying at a local small town RV Park in central Utah that I Camp Hosted at for 2 years. I've made some friends up here during that time, some I stay in touch with, and some I don't. I met another single guy up here last year, and we've become good friends. We like to go fishing in our Kayaks on the local lakes, spend time together trading out years of knowledge. there's

And to the subject of how many singles are out here, there's thousands of us. Both male & female. So don't worry about it. Come and join the rest of us introverts.

Eddie, is your glass always half empty? I've been with my wife, partner, and best friend for over 54 years and dread the thought of life without her. Obviously that doesn't work for everyone, but for those of us that it does, it's a fantastic experience that I wouldn't change for anything...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

New to this group and forum and currently part time but 90% of the time I am a single camper.

Positivity and adventuresome nature is key to exploring out of one's comfort zone and enjoying the single experience.

Also a camping dog companion is a big plus. Well trained camping dog is a social positive in many situations. Gets you out walking around meeting fellow campers great ice breaker. Also security benefit warnings for bears and coyote when boondocking. Let alone helps keep you warm on cold nights. 

1 hour ago, eddie1261 said:

I have gone through 3 empty glasses so far....

Three? Have you ever considered that maybe it's you?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, KnoxSwift said:

New to this group and forum and currently part time but 90% of the time I am a single camper.

Positivity and adventuresome nature is key to exploring out of one's comfort zone and enjoying the single experience.

Also a camping dog companion is a big plus. Well trained camping dog is a social positive in many situations. Gets you out walking around meeting fellow campers great ice breaker. Also security benefit warnings for bears and coyote when boondocking. Let alone helps keep you warm on cold nights. 

Welcome to the forum and the SKP's!

And yes, well behaved dogs make great RV camping companions. Where else can you and your dog walk down the park road at 7:00 am in your robe carrying a bulging "doggie bag", strike up a conversation with a neighbor,  and nobody thinks it's at all odd... :D

Dutch

14 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Welcome to the forum and the SKP's!

And yes, well behaved dogs make great RV camping companions. Where else can you and your dog walk down the park road at 7:00 am in your robe carrying a bulging "doggie bag", strike up a conversation with a neighbor,  and nobody thinks it's at all odd... :D

Exactly!!🤣 and thanks for the welcome.

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I've been with my wife, partner, and best friend for over 54 years and dread the thought of life without her.

If you get the right one there is probably nothing better that can happen to you but the wrong one can break you from sucking eggs.  Mine truly had mental issues that ran in her family I found out later but I got 4 good kids out of the deal so I can only complain a little. I was happily divorced from her fo about 37 years (wow) until she passed last year.  Would like to have found the good one but for a good bit of that time I was too busy raising kids.

Nowadays I have enough trouble living with myself.😀

Well, as I said, Jim, "Obviously that doesn't work for everyone..." Then again, good friends of our's just celebrated their 42nd anniversary, both on their second time around. 

Dutch

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:47 PM, FunSeeker said:

Hi, I'm new to RV lifestyle. Is there any advice for singles to make the experience more enjoyable? Rob.

Rob, I'm single for the last 20 yrs and also a long time RV'er as both a fulltimer, part timer, extended timer. My advice is, being single in an RV is no different than being single in your sticks & bricks house..  Just as you would not expect to find your next date living next door to your house, its just as unlikely to find your next date in the same RV park. Live your life the way you want, doing the things you enjoy doing. The world is primarily a couples world, including RV'ing and that's ok. Most RV couples and groups will welcome you as a single. However if you prefer to hang out with more singles, there are some specific RV groups & clubs for singles only, they plan singles get togethers and singles travel caravans. I can't recommend one over the other, the make up of these groups and their activity level changes every year. But I agree with the comment, if you're looking for a new mate, its most likely you'll find her in what you do & who you meet outside the RV world.

Jim

Archived