Black Tank Empty

morefuntimes

I have see a few videos that say not to dump your black tank until its 3/4 the way full. That doesn't make any sense. I have a 42 gallon black tank! That's a lot of....of....stuff. Also, I am going camping on the weekends, so I don't really want to tow around that much......stuff. When should I dump the black tank in my situation?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

Yes, dump as you see fit. When leaving a location that has a dump station, use what water you have left or a fair portion thereof to fill the black tank some more to assist in particle removal, the more water the better. Dump en route to your next stop if you didn't get the chance when you left. Traveling with some fresh water is a good idea but you can always top off at your next stop or on the way, but you'll have empty waste tanks to start again.

So I can somehow push my fresh water into my black tank to flush it? This is my first camper.

I dump every 4 or 5 days.  Also use a lot of water per toilet flush.  Every several dumps I connect a hose to the black tank flush and let that run until it comes out clear.  TBH, I do not know how effective that black tank flusher really is.  Never seems to be enough clear water volume coming out to.  I have a clear plastic connection so I can see what's exiting.

17 minutes ago, morefuntimes said:

So I can somehow push my fresh water into my black tank to flush it? This is my first camper.

Yes , you can , but with the on board pump , it takes a fairly long time . 

We always carry fresh water . How else will you flush that ... that... stuff down ? :)

Just remember that if you don't use enough water to flush the toilet* , you may end up with what is called a pile in your black tank . From what I hear , those aren't any fun to deal with . 

* one bowl for #1 and two bowls for #2 , at least . Always at least float the paper .

Goes around , comes around .

I used to just hold the flush pedal or handle down until I saw the water coming up the pipe under the touilet5 and then go to the dump station or go outside and dump the black tank with the gray still closed and flush with at least 20 gallons of gray with the black tank dump valve still open. It is easier to see when it is clean if you use a see through dump valve extension, like this:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Valterra/T1026-1.html

When I hadn't cleaned it for a while I would use travel for sloshing around a quarter cup of Dawn or other dish washing liquid to a half full black tank and gray tank. That was enough to keep any solids from building up inside.

Some RVs have water hose connections to flush the black tank as part of the panel in motorhomes and some trailers. Make sure a s newbie that you keep your freshwater hose and attachments like pressure regulator etc. completely separate from your sewer rinsing water hose big sewer hose and attachments. I had a fiver and my sewer hose rode in the bed of my truck in a PVC pipe with aerated end caps. So fill it up halfway at the least and then dump. EZPZ.

I now have a macerator system because we no longer are full time and months can go by without our using our Scamp Fifth wheel we downsized top from a 36 foot fifth wheel. Here is a video of one that might appeal to a weekender to keep it clean.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/SewerSolution/SS01.html#exp-productdetails=.videos

Remember to leave at least a gallon or two in your black and gray tank after dumping/cleaning.

Also remember there are more than just one way to skin a cat.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

10 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

When you flush the toilet you'll press half way down to fill the bowl somewhat with water, then press all the way to open the bowl & flush.

This may or may not be accurate, depending on which toilet you have.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 hours ago, morefuntimes said:

Yes. If your shower head reaches, use it to add water to the toilet. Otherwise collect fresh water in a container to pour down the toilet. The goal is too have enough water in the black tank at dump time to get a whoosh when you pull the valve. When it stops running close the black valve and pull the gray valve to help rinse the hose.

If you dump too often without adequate water the solids will remain in the tank. This becomes what we call "the cone of death." The cone can be dissolved but it takes a lot of time and a lot of water to do it. It's best to prevent it by having lots of water in your black tank when you dump.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, morefuntimes said:

I have see a few videos that say not to dump your black tank until its 3/4 the way full. That doesn't make any sense. I have a 42 gallon black tank! That's a lot of....of....stuff. Also, I am going camping on the weekends, so I don't really want to tow around that much......stuff. When should I dump the black tank in my situation?

Thanks!

Your tank isn't that big - we have an 80 gallon black and a 100 gallon grey.    We can go 2 weeks without dumping if we minimize, but usually dump once a week.    Do you use a dish pan in the sink to wash your dishes?  If not, get one, and then when dishes are done, dump in your toilet.   Provides more water plus soap, which acts as a surfactant and will help when you dump.  As someone said, put a bucket to catch water in the shower until it is hot - dump down the toilet.    If you do just a little extra, you should be able to dump as you leave.   And remember to put 5 gallons of water in the black before you start your weekend trip.    BTW - lots of people will just leave 10-15 gallons in their tank until the next weekend and then dump.  Won't hurt anything.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

This is going to be long, but I'm thinking that more than a superficial explaination may be in order.

I think that it might be helpful to explain why emptying of tanks takes some planning, which addresses why we believe you should do this. There several things to consider in using the waste tanks of an RV and size is one of them. With the gray water tank there is nothing put into it that is not liquid except for very small particles from washing dishes, or shouldn't be. The black water tank is a very different matter since it is primarily the storage for refuse from the toilet and so contains solid human waste and toilet paper. It is important to always use a septic safe toilet paper as that will break down much more quickly than other products. Once you have used the toilet, what you put into it will begin to break down into a liquid and given time most everything in there will become liquid. For that to happen it is important to use generous amounts of water with bowel movements, not so much for urine. The more water used, the more quickly the liquification process will happen. In nearly all cases there will be at least some solids remaining when you go to empty the tanks. Use too little water and solids will tend to build up a pile directly under the point that the toilet enters into the tank and over time that solid may stay in place, creating a mound that does not leave when the tank is emptied and eventually will block the toilet from draining. Even when using ample water when flushing it is unlikely there will not be at least some solids and toilet paper residue remaining when you dump. Because of this, it is important to allow the tank to fill far enough to cause a rush of liquid when you first open the dump valve so that any remaining solids, which typically are at the bottom of the tank, will be carried out in that initial rush.

Just how much liquid is required to do this for any given waste tank will be determined by the size and shape of that tank and the configuration of the drain lines. The reason some say to fill the tank 3/4 or 1/2 full before emptying is to get that rush of liquid at the start. I happen to be in the school believing that 1/2 is generally enough, but there really is no magic number and the real need is that rush to carry all solids from the tank. Even the gray tank empties best if it has a significant amount in it to create that same rush. 

Nobody has mentioned the issue of a tank flush system, which is important since the use of one can minimize the need for volume in the black tank before dumping. If you have a flush system, it can be used to add water to the tank and flushing can also minimize the problem of solids left behind. 

If you go out for 1 or 2 nights, then go home knowing that you will be going out again in another week, there is really no reason to dump the black tank or gray for that matter. Most of us who live in the RV fulltime go at least a week between tank dumpings so you would be doing much the same. In my experience, the gray tank has just as much odor problem as the black and to go two weekends between dumping is only 9 days, or about the same as we do when in the RV for months. 

If you do empty the tanks when you have very little in them, make sure to put enough water back into the black tank to completely cover the bottom of the tank at least a couple of inches deep before you store it. Doing that will mean that any residue left behind will soak the entire time your RV sits between uses, rather than drying out to bake on and become a permanent part of the tank floor. With a 40 gallon tank, I would want a minimum of 5 gallons and 10 would probably be better. In doing this it will also slop that water about as you travel to and from your weekend trips to help loosen any solids left behind. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

31 minutes ago, morefuntimes said:

Lots of good information; thanks a lot all! I did buy a tool (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UHVAA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) to help with cleaning out tank. I will definitely use the shower head and hand soap methods. Again, thanks all!

You need to add this cutoff valve to the part you noted in your posting: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529865079&sr=1-1&keywords=RV+sewer+tank+valve

Otherwise all the water you add will just run down the sewer hose. 

Since my RV didn't come with a black tank flush connection I use the above combinations of components to push water back up into the black tank and then dump a 2nd or 3rd time. 

If I have a gray tank which is at least half full, I use the gray water to flush into the black tank.  This is my method: I dump the black tank, close the external valve I referenced above and then open the gray tank while watching the water swirl in clear piece you ordered.  I only leave the gray tank open while I see the gray water swirling.  Once the gray water stops swirling, I shut the gray tank valve.  I don't want the black water to back up into the gray tank.  The large volume of gray water going into the black tank gives a good stirring of what is left in the black tank, so more of the black stuff comes out.  I then use the flush water hose at the dump station to push more water into the black tank and dump again. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

18 hours ago, morefuntimes said:

Thanks!

Your question has pretty much been answered, especially Kirk's excellent detailed explanation.  I just want to reiterate: It is not the occasional dumping a 1/4 to 1/3 full tank that is a problem.  It is when that is done many times and not back flushed. 

Another tip is to always add some flush water back in the black tank once you have dumped.  Having an inch or two of water in the tank keeps the solid material from building up into a solid mass.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

54 minutes ago, morefuntimes said:

I will definitely use the shower head and hand soap methods. 

Be sure the soap is not antibacterial. You want the bacteria in your black tank to help dissolve solids. That's why Dawn Blue is the dish soap of choice in the RV community--it does an excellent job of cutting grease and it works even in cold water.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

And, do NOT trust your tank indicator sensors.  The black tank sensors are notoriously unreliable.  On my coach, they read full all the time, even after I dumped and the tank sat empty and dry for weeks.

Horst Miracle Probes may or may not be accurate.  I do not have them but others say they are great.

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

Be sure the soap is not antibacterial. You want the bacteria in your black tank to help dissolve solids.

This is very important as we depend on natural bacteria to make the solids into liquid. I also suggest that a better way to flush the tank is to use one of these tools.

21HceLNwrQL._AC_US160_.jpg 41pFluEuhjL._AC_US160_.jpg  41QF9PcfyML._AC_US160_.jpg

The first is a wand that you insert through the open flush valve of the toilet. The second is a device much like the one you pointed to, but that contains a valve to allow you to stop the water from exiting in order to cause it to back up into the tank and so fill it at least partially full. The last picture is of a flush system that is permanently installed through the wall of the tank which you can attach a hose from a water supply and so flush the tank on the inside. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just use plenty of water each and every time you flush and you should have enough in there to dump.  Saves waiting to run many gallons in at one time just before you are ready to leave and dump.  If you use the tub and dishwater -- make sure all the silverware is out of the tub before dumping.  I lost a fork down there one time several years ago.  Don't know if it got flushed out in a dump, or if it's still in there.  No problems so far and I'm not looking for it!

Pat DeJong

• 2 weeks later...

RV and Pat touched on a method of dumping a partial tank-below half. Immediately upon arriving at a CG, dump the black tank, this is because the road jostling has mixed up solids that settle to the bottom and liquids enough to minimize any solids remaining in the tank. The "secret" to avoiding a problem with solids remaining in the tank is to use enough flushing water to keep ALL solids covered.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Crypto said:

Youll have to hold the pedal down and fill it up that way.

Or , just prop the pedal so it stays down . 

Just don't go to happy hour and forget what you did . The next hour might not be so happy . ;)

4 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

If you happen to have a commode that has a flush peddle. Of our RVs, only 1 has had a peddle and all others a hand lever. 

Man , I'm sorry . 

I mean I've become so use to the pedal that a handle seems such a pain . LOL

Archived