Jump to content
bigjim

TT hitch height

Recommended Posts

I need to move an Arctic Fox 29L travel trailer.  The way it is sitting on a slope it is difficult to tell  how high to set my ball.  It is leveled on a slope with the tongue on the low end of the slope. (again it is leveled)  So the tongue is sitting fairly high.  If anyone has one and knows what the hitch height should be I would appreciate the info so I can be ready when I pick it up instead of playing with the hitch trying to get it right.  I wll probably be doing this about this coming Wed or Thurs.  Thanks if you have the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get a pretty close idea by measuring the distance from the ground to the frame at the axle, then adjust that distance for the variant of the hitch to the frame. It may need some adjustment, but it should get you pretty close. 

Edited by Kirk Wood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until the owners of Arctic Fox that are here post a reply, have a look at the owner's forum for some help. I do like the suggestion Kirk made by using reference measurements to obtain your goal. I believe that you could be spot on with this method, basing this on 40 years in heavy industry where this method was used accurately on many occasions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

You can get a pretty close idea by measuring the distance from the ground to the frame at the axle, then adjust that distance for the variant of the hitch to the frame. It may need some adjustment, but it should get you pretty close. 

your hitch is going to go down when you set trailer on it so figure at least 2" higher but now comes the tricky part, The tongue is already high so will you be able to raise it enough to get on the ball ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd approach it this way.

Set your ball so it will couple.

Get the unit to a level area.

Unhitch, make your adjustments to achieve a level tow.

This will work every time if you have the needed hitch height range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2018 at 7:29 AM, Devilishjim said:

your hitch is going to go down when you set trailer on it so figure at least 2" higher but now comes the tricky part, The tongue is already high so will you be able to raise it enough to get on the ball ?

The tongue was way high with the trailer level so this wasn't and issue. I was trying to get a good idea of the tongue height when the trailer was on pretty level ground.  (trailer was level on the site, just tongue high)  I got it moved but took two adjustments, first to get it moved a short distance to a pretty level spot then unhook and and readjust the ball height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SCClockDr said:

I'd approach it this way.

Set your ball so it will couple.

Get the unit to a level area.

Unhitch, make your adjustments to achieve a level tow.

This will work every time if you have the needed hitch height range.

Thanks, I should have come back and say I got this trailer moved as in post above and basically did what you said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Escapees Hangouts

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

Shade My RV

AGS Now Hiring

RV Pet Safety



×
×
  • Create New...