TT hitch height

bigjim

I need to move an Arctic Fox 29L travel trailer.  The way it is sitting on a slope it is difficult to tell  how high to set my ball.  It is leveled on a slope with the tongue on the low end of the slope. (again it is leveled)  So the tongue is sitting fairly high.  If anyone has one and knows what the hitch height should be I would appreciate the info so I can be ready when I pick it up instead of playing with the hitch trying to get it right.  I wll probably be doing this about this coming Wed or Thurs.  Thanks if you have the info.

You can get a pretty close idea by measuring the distance from the ground to the frame at the axle, then adjust that distance for the variant of the hitch to the frame. It may need some adjustment, but it should get you pretty close. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

😞Can start at 18 in to the top of the ball

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

14 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

You can get a pretty close idea by measuring the distance from the ground to the frame at the axle, then adjust that distance for the variant of the hitch to the frame. It may need some adjustment, but it should get you pretty close. 

your hitch is going to go down when you set trailer on it so figure at least 2" higher but now comes the tricky part, The tongue is already high so will you be able to raise it enough to get on the ball ?

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 7:29 AM, Devilishjim said:

your hitch is going to go down when you set trailer on it so figure at least 2" higher but now comes the tricky part, The tongue is already high so will you be able to raise it enough to get on the ball ?

The tongue was way high with the trailer level so this wasn't and issue. I was trying to get a good idea of the tongue height when the trailer was on pretty level ground.  (trailer was level on the site, just tongue high)  I got it moved but took two adjustments, first to get it moved a short distance to a pretty level spot then unhook and and readjust the ball height.

10 hours ago, SCClockDr said:

I'd approach it this way.

Set your ball so it will couple.

Get the unit to a level area.

Unhitch, make your adjustments to achieve a level tow.

This will work every time if you have the needed hitch height range.

Thanks, I should have come back and say I got this trailer moved as in post above and basically did what you said.

Archived