Glacier Natl Park - Highway 2 vs Interstate 94

Dldoyle

Is there a web site that recommends what roads to take or not take when pulling a long trailer?  We are pulling a 37 ft. Montana.   We are looking at going to Glacier National Park starting in Wisconsin.  Is Highway 2 a recommended route or should we stick to the 94 interstate?

Any recommended parks along route?  Sights we don’t want to miss??

Thanks,

Do you mean I-90 since I-94 doesn't go near Glacier?   Highway 2 is used by truckers all the time.   I'd take it rather than I-90.  I assume you are going this summer - just watch the weather.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Make sure you stop somewhere by Glacier, and take your truck up the "Going to the Sun" road to the pass.  Also, there are 1930s tour busses at the National Park Lodge that make the trip that might be fun, as well as a boat trip from the lodge area. 

Since you are coming across Highway 2, make sure to stop at Fort Union, which is on the Montana/North Dakota state line.   Really a unique National Park.  We really enjoyed it.   Also there is a COE park at Fort Peck and you can do a tour of the dam - we got to feel the the turbines as their were running - very, very cold and smooth.    Fort Peck is just a little south of Highway 2 and well worth the diversion.    Just remember that COE parks in the northern plains do not have water hookups at each site, so fill up your fresh water tank at the entrance.   

If you start with http://www.barbanddave.net/Site_12/2010_Blog/Entries/2010/7/15_Grandpa_Freds_Watch_is_Back_in_Montana.html

you can follow our trip from west to east through eastern Montana.  

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I will also recommend Hwy 2 and stopping for a night or two at Fort Peck Corp of Engineer Park.  Your senior pass will give you 1/2 off camp fee and the sites are very large and pleasant.

Where are you planning on staying for Glacier NP?  With our 40' motorhome we've stayed a few times at Apgar campground on the west side of the park.  The free shuttle stops there and will take you up the Going-to-the-Sun Rd. & you can get on and off at various stops to do a hike or whatever.  No reservations accepted at Apgar but we've always gotten a site.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

If you are going to Billings, a great side trip is Crow Agency and the Little Bighorn Battlefield.  With a senior pass, it's FREE.  It's not a place you can take your trailer, but there are good parks very near (I stayed at 7th Ranch in Garryowen). 

You should have zero problems on Hwy 2 across ND and MT.  Don't know about the MN portion, never took it all the way across.  But ND and MT are wide open road.  Even when it is down to 2 lanes (one lane each direction), the speed limit in MT is 70 in most places that are flat.  Once you get closer to Glacier and the road heads into the mountains, it is still not a difficult drive with a long 5er.

There are a few long construction zones between Havre, MT, and Cut Bank, MT.  They have pilot cars, so not a big deal.

Archived