New experience while towing - Resolution

fly2low

Earlier today we were headed up the Dalton Highway.  This is a haul road, and per instructions, I was watching ahead and behind for trucks.  Several times I pulled over to let a truck past that was coming up behind us.  In every instance, this was well before they had caught up to us.  I was driving slow, 30 - 45 mph.  The gravel portions of the road are a little rough, the blacktopped portion are full of RV eating potholes.  As we were climbing a hill, after just crossing the Arctic Circle, I glanced in the rear view mirror, and saw our jeep pulling out to pass us.  Being on my game, I knew this was not normal.  Fortunately, since we were climbing, all I had to do was slow down and pull over.

For the last 3 years and 30,000 miles, we have been pulling our jeep with a Roadmaster Falcon tow bar setup.  System has been so good and reliable that I never worried about it.  The arm on the drivers side had fractured where it enters its' sleeve.  The break was clean with no corrosion, so was acute.  Other than the broken arm, no damage was done.  Would have been a different story on a downhill segment.

Reading Roadmasters site, one of the things that can shorten the life of a tow bar is driving on roads in Alaska or Mexico.  Don't know about Mexico, but can verify the Alaska statement.  Will spend tomorrow trying to find a new tow bar in AK or arrange to have one sent up here

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

Thanks Linda

In the grand scheme of things, not a big deal.  No body hurt, RV and Toad are fine.  Money will fix this issue.  Real problems are when there is an issue that money can't fix.

Just wanted to raise awareness that this could happen.

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

To my thinking that appears to be a defect. As Kirk wrote "contact Roadmaster". They may cover the replacement cost. Also you may be covered by your insurance.

I can't imagine that Alaska roads are in worse shape than a lot of roads in the lower 48.  On Blue OX towbars there is an annual cleaning, inspection and lubrication. Does Roadmaster has a similar suggestion.

Good  luck,

Bill. 

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

We towed our Jeep all over on the Alaskan trip including the gravel roads of Top of the World Hwy and the drive to Teklanika campground in Denali but not on the Dalton Hwy.  We had a Blue Ox.  No damage to either vehicle on the whole trip.... no dings or broken windshields.

For other gravel roads we toured them in the Jeep only as day trips.  There are roads in the lower 48 that we wouldn't tow the Jeep.  Park and then do the touring.  The reason not being the tow bar but towing a car on rough gravel roads could lead to windshield or hood damage from rocks and LOTS of dust.

Hope you get the new one fast.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

IMG_5221.jpg.e656462883f7e21f338cd41456fb1af7.jpgIMG_5224.jpg.2c6af2dec1a1b3ae8ebbd5b1633eda9c.jpgBeen in contact with Roadmaster this AM.  Sent them pictures of the parts,

New one on its' way to me from Roadmaster.  Will work out details later ab out sharing the cost.  Now I just need the part.

With Roadmaster tow bars, I cleaned and lubed more that once per year.  Inspection is recommended less frequently.  I am sure that no inspection would have helped here.

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

As I mentioned earlier, I had contacted Roadmaster.  As Kirk mentioned , Roadmaster has a reputation of making good products, and taking care of their customers.  Because the product failed earlier than expected, they offered a discount that I am OK with.

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

old one was rated for 6,000 lbs, new one is rated at 8,000.  Should be enough.

If the system is stressed to the breaking point, I would prefer the failure occur at the hitch or behind it.  I would not want a hitch/tow bar that is so robust that the failure point would become the frame of the RV

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

Archived