Ishift not starting out smoothly

Sculptor

Hi all, I think I saw this question recently but can't find it now. If someone knows where it is please paste a link. 

We have a nice running 2013 Volvo 730 with ishift and D13.  When we bobtailed it home I never noticed any take off problem.  Since recently hooking to our smallish 5000lb empty camper I notice it hesitates on a take off from dead stop.  

Drive wants to always start out in 4th gear. Seems worse when the wheels are turned.

If I downshift to 2, it's much better.   But does not always prevent the hesitations.  It seems to alternate between go then stop, oscillating quickly between the 2.  At first I tried stomping the fuel pedal to the floor.  Now I get about 50% success with the override trick. 

Is starting in 4th gear what they all do, every stop?  Must I downshift every stop?  It seems like not enough weight to force a downshift to me but maybe normal.  

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

The start in 4th is normal for a truck that doesn't know it has a trailer.  There are 2 different options for trailer sensing.  Option 1, the truck senses the trailer light circuit (tail I think) being plugged in then it will start in a lower gear.  Option 2, when you charge the trailer brakes (red knob) the truck understands there is a trailer.  The choice of option 1 or 2 is selected in the "parameters" that require the dreaded laptop.  The bobtail take off gear can also be lowered from 4th.  I had mine changed to 3rd.  Works much better with my little D11.

I have the trailer sensing set on the brake option.  The glad hands are sealed off to not lose air. I went this route so that when I have a trailer, I "physically" tell the truck to start in 1st, and it turns off the brake porportioning valve so I have full power rear brakes.

Now this doesn't really answer your question, but it should be pretty smooth on take off regardless.

13 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

The start in 4th is normal for a truck that doesn't know it has a trailer.  There are 2 different options for trailer sensing.  Option 1, the truck senses the trailer light circuit (tail I think) being plugged in then it will start in a lower gear.  Option 2, when you charge the trailer brakes (red knob) the truck understands there is a trailer.  The choice of option 1 or 2 is selected in the "parameters" that require the dreaded laptop.  The bobtail take off gear can also be lowered from 4th.  I had mine changed to 3rd.  Works much better with my little D11.

I have the trailer sensing set on the brake option.  The glad hands are sealed off to not lose air. I went this route so that when I have a trailer, I "physically" tell the truck to start in 1st, and it turns off the brake porportioning valve so I have full power rear brakes.

Now this doesn't really answer your question, but it should be pretty smooth on take off regardless.

Thank you Moresmoke, this is great info!!! 

Took a short run last night without the trailer and had the same hesitation. 

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

12 hours ago, runaway parents said:

How many people are driving your tuck? Seems like when my dw drives it shifts differently than when I drive. It is like the computer has to adjust to different driving habits. I drive it a little more aggressively than she does. 

Just me. The DW has driven on our street and might try driving highway soon but not with the trailer. 

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Just a question - does your truck have a hill assist option?  If so at a very slight angle it will have a delay until the pedal is depressed for I think it is 2-3 seconds.....then moves - if you hit the pedal hard it really jumps.....

2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
2020 Momentum 376THS
We're both proud USAF Retirees...

1 hour ago, COFLTravler said:

Just a question - does your truck have a hill assist option?  If so at a very slight angle it will have a delay until the pedal is depressed for I think it is 2-3 seconds.....then moves - if you hit the pedal hard it really jumps.....

I hate revealing my ignorance 🙄🙄. I don't know.   But it seems worse in a turn for sure. 

Hit the pedal hard and it does jump after some delay.  The startout acts like a new manual clutch driver, small revs, back off, oscillating while creeping forward. If the wheels are turned we are really rockin and rollin.  

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Almost every time we take off. If I let off the service brake and barely nudge the acc. pedal, let it roll, then go about 1/3 throttle it goes smooth most of the time.  Sometimes it doesn't work and I have to stomp it. There is always a delay when I stomp it. 

When we added the directlink we patched into the brake lamp switch. We removed the switch and after the patch-in replaced it using the tiny bolts it mounts with. There is not much room for error but it might be out of alignment some way. 

I have lifted the brake pedal while accelerating with mixed results also. 

1 hour ago, Lance A Lott said:

Does it do it every time you take off or just after the parking brake has been on? Mine had one brake that would stick and it realy slammed when it took off.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

14 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Are you referring to the little brake switch that contacts the brake pedal and disconnects the cruise?  Does your cruise work?

Did you have a chance to drive the truck after the installation of the DirectLink prior to this trip?  Does your DirectLink work?  

Yes that switch.  With the little spring arm.  No the cruise does not work BUT I was missing the 5 amp fuse for some reason 🙄 and replaced it with a 7.5 amp.   Yet to be tested. 

Direct link works with no errors. The only other times we drove with the Directlink installed also was with the trailer attached.  

Over the winter we installed the Jackalopee, Directlink, and hitch.  Afterward was the first hookup and drive with trailer.  The really chronic hesitation we didn't notice until all the parts were together. 

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

My 730 with D13, always wants to start in 4th gear. With the trailer, it will drop below that occasionally, but for the most part even connected it starts in 4th. Our trailer is about 15k, and we have only had the truck since after the HDT rally, so we are also still learning.

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

On 6/22/2018 at 5:39 PM, DesertMiner said:

May I ask why you chose to get the “brake” signal from that switch instead of using the brake signal from the Jackalopee?

I found a diesel mechanic in the next campsite, his name is Jeff.  We discussed a few things about our truck and it sounds like the brake light switch is a good starting point.  I will have a chance to get it uncovered today.  Desertminer do you think I would be better off connecting the Directlink brake input to the Jackalopee instead?

I replaced the cruise control fuse but it still is not working. 

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Hi all, and thanks very much for your help!  I was waiting until we got home so I have time to answer.  I found the solution and the the problem was me of course.  

No big technical lesson here.  I removed the brake switch, spliced in a wire for the trailer brake control, then asked my wife to replace the switch.  Since I was standing outside and she happened to be inside at the time.  

We had a fuzzy before photo to guide us.  What could go wrong?  3 days ago I removed the kick panel and MOVED THE SPRING ACTUATOR TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BRAKE LEVER.  I didn't have to unbolt it.  I can't exactly say changing my spring angle improved my love life, but it sure helped my drive home.  And, by the way, the cruise control is working again also.

All along I knew it must be something I touched, and I needed to start with that list first.  I wrote the OP hoping you experienced folks wouldn't laugh too much and could help narrow this down.  Thanks again!

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Archived