What is This Grate For?

We just bought a used 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1 5th wheel.  There is a brown loovered type grate in one of the walls of the steps going up to the bedroom.  It looks like it opens up into the storage bay under the bedroom 'cause when the bay door is open we can see daylight.  Anyone know what this grate is for?  It lets in tons of hot air, even when the bay door is closed, and we would like to close it off in an effort to conserve a/c loss.  

46 minutes ago, SKP62107 said:

We just bought a used 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1 5th wheel.  There is a brown loovered type grate in one of the walls of the steps going up to the bedroom.  It looks like it opens up into the storage bay under the bedroom 'cause when the bay door is open we can see daylight.  Anyone know what this grate is for?  It lets in tons of hot air, even when the bay door is closed, and we would like to close it off in an effort to conserve a/c loss.  

Sounds like the return air for your furnace.  Your basement receives heat from the furnace to protect your water tank and plumbing from freezing.  Also, the top of the waste tanks receive heat.  For the furnace to force warm air into the basement, there must be a return air route.

You can cover it during warm months as it is not needed.  I've never covered mine but then I don't feel "tons" of hot air either.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Perhaps use a piece of 1/4" plywood and cut it and drill it using the grate as a template and use that as a cover instead of the grate until you need the furnace.  I dont use RV furnaces as they are WAY too inefficient(consume 3X the LP of ceramic brick heater and NOISY), use a ceramic brick heater.  I should probably remove the furnace and use the space for storage, much better use.  If you ever needed to warm the basement you could add some hinges or a couple small blocks to shim the plywood out so as to allow warm air from coach into basement.  Likely only needed when in freezing temps.  Also, if you wanted to add some level of insulation, use some rigid foam glued to the inside of the plywood, cut the same size as the opening in the wall.

Hope this helps.

Marcel

Archived