Coast to Coast (C2C) deluxe vs classic membership

I have researched the benefits and differences between the deluxe and classic coast to coast memberships and I understand the differences.

The major differences being that with a deluxe membership you can stay at deluxe parks for 14 days rather than 7 and you can book 90 days out rather than 60 days.

My question for those who have (or have had) a coast to coast membership, is is worth paying the extra to have a deluxe membership over a classic membership?

Your input and experience is appreciated.

Dave

Dave

2008 Airstream 34’ Classic Trailer

Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins CTD

What other memberships will you have.  Remember, C2C is an affiliate and you should really have more than one to ensure you get into parks that you want to stay in as you travel.  All affiliates have a certain number of sites at each park and when those are reserved you are out of luck, but with more than one membership you may be able to get in during the time frame you want.

If this is part of the negotiation for a membership at a home park, make the Deluxe part of the package.   We get by with the Classic, but we also have AOR and ROD which both have 2 week stays (as well as TT) so the C2C is usually our week out somewhere.   BTW, if the park you are interested in is a Classic only park, you still only get 1 week and it is 60 days out to reserve.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We've had C2C Classic for over 16 years.  We've only been retired for the last 3 years so our travel was limited but we never had an issue in getting into a particular campground.  What we have noticed is that many of the C2C locations are no better than others offered by other memberships.  Not sure we see the wisdom of having multiple memberships but our camping requirements are probably different from those who do.  Too often we have found C2C not close to areas we wanted to be at and wound up staying elsewhere.  The cost of the membership we purchased was less than $100.00 so we kept it even though we don't use it as often as we planned.  Since retirement, we have more freedom to go where we like and not where we have time to go.  That made a difference for us, but at the renewal price, we keep it updated.

I own a deeded site in a rv park that offers Coast to Coast classic. My buy-in is $550 plus $89 per year. Amortizing the cost over 5 years, I only need to use the system 7 nights a year to be at break-even. However, if I purchase a deluxe membership from Southern Trails RV park i Georgia, the buy-in is approximately $1,000 with an annual fee of $249 (park and C2C fees). Amortizing the cost over 5 years requires using the system 18 days a year. I'm wondering is the additional cost of getting a deluxe membership worth it. Does the 90 day window to make a reservation versus a 60 day make that much of a difference? I'm not sure that I will know our plans that far out. Also, I'm not sure that I want to spend more than 7 days in any one park. Just inquiring what others have found.

I will also get Passport America and use Escapee parks. We will also use state parks and national forest campgrounds.

Dave

Dave

We used to belong to C2C and RPI.  I don't recall which membership we had, but I'm pretty sure it was the Classic.

When we were fulltimers, we never stayed in any one spot for 2 weeks except during the winter, when we'd land someplace for 3-4 months.  And we never made reservations even 60 days out...we don't plan that far ahead.  The only reason we even made reservations was that it was required, but we'd call just a few days ahead.

If you think you'll want to stay in one place for 2 weeks, and you want to be able to make reservations more than 60 days in advance, then go with the Deluxe membership; otherwise, I'd stick with the Classic.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

2 hours ago, Tumbleweed said:

I own a deeded site in a rv park that offers Coast to Coast classic. My buy-in is $550 plus $89 per year. Amortizing the cost over 5 years, I only need to use the system 7 nights a year to be at break-even. However, if I purchase a deluxe membership from Southern Trails RV park i Georgia, the buy-in is approximately $1,000 with an annual fee of $249 (park and C2C fees). Amortizing the cost over 5 years requires using the system 18 days a year. I'm wondering is the additional cost of getting a deluxe membership worth it. Does the 90 day window to make a reservation versus a 60 day make that much of a difference? I'm not sure that I will know our plans that far out. Also, I'm not sure that I want to spend more than 7 days in any one park. Just inquiring what others have found.

I will also get Passport America and use Escapee parks. We will also use state parks and national forest campgrounds.

Dave

I like your planning.  We have a small 25 foot RV trailer, with only 30A need, so we have a lot of flexibility.  Guess I can just use Passport upon demand, and Escapee with availability.  Else hit state parks.

When we first started fulltiming we also that that we would utilize a lot of state parks.  Turns out that can be down right expensive, especially with a motorhome, since a lot of states will charge extra per night for your tow car.  Plus with online reservation systems, most state parks are reserved for Thursday through Sundays from Memorial Day through Labor Day - - we just gave up on them.    We do like COE (Corps of Engineers) parks in the midwest and they can only be reserved 6 months out and tend to have more open spots that you can get into without reservations.   

As to why more than one membership, it is because every membership park will set aside a certain number of sites to be used by each affiliate system they belong to such as RPI, C2C, AOR, ROD.   So if C2C has 10 slots at park XYZ and you want to stay there during a certain time frame, those 10 sites may be booked.  However, AOR might also have 10 slots at the same park, but because it isn't as well know as C2C, it has fewer members and there might be a site available.   We go with ROD first because there is a $0/night fee with them, but they also are booked out first, and then C2C or AOR will almost always have a site for us, but at $10/night or so (most parks now add on a surcharge for 50 amp).    

Takes a little practice to get in a rhythm with membership parks, but if they are in areas where you will be going (PNW if full of them) then you can save a lot of money using them.   This week we are staying under AOR, it costs us $70 for a 50 amp pull through site with full hookups and a view of Mt. Baker.  This is the ONLY nightly fee we will pay until the middle of August, all the rest of our time will be under TT and ROD, as will most of September.   Works for us. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

When we first started fulltiming we also that that we would utilize a lot of state parks.  Turns out that can be down right expensive, especially with a motorhome, since a lot of states will charge extra per night for your tow car.  Plus with online reservation systems, most state parks are reserved for Thursday through Sundays from Memorial Day through Labor Day - - we just gave up on them.    We do like COE (Corps of Engineers) parks in the midwest and they can only be reserved 6 months out and tend to have more open spots that you can get into without reservations.   

As to why more than one membership, it is because every membership park will set aside a certain number of sites to be used by each affiliate system they belong to such as RPI, C2C, AOR, ROD.   So if C2C has 10 slots at park XYZ and you want to stay there during a certain time frame, those 10 sites may be booked.  However, AOR might also have 10 slots at the same park, but because it isn't as well know as C2C, it has fewer members and there might be a site available.   We go with ROD first because there is a $0/night fee with them, but they also are booked out first, and then C2C or AOR will almost always have a site for us, but at $10/night or so (most parks now add on a surcharge for 50 amp).    

Takes a little practice to get in a rhythm with membership parks, but if they are in areas where you will be going (PNW if full of them) then you can save a lot of money using them.   This week we are staying under AOR, it costs us $70 for a 50 amp pull through site with full hookups and a view of Mt. Baker.  This is the ONLY nightly fee we will pay until the middle of August, all the rest of our time will be under TT and ROD, as will most of September.   Works for us. 

thanks for good examples Bard & Dave!!

7 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Turns out that can be down right expensive, especially with a motorhome, since a lot of states will charge extra per night for your tow car.  Plus with online reservation systems, most state parks are reserved for Thursday through Sundays from Memorial Day through Labor Day -

We too became very selective in what state's parks we used much, but not all are double charging the motorhome towing so check before you visit. Every state that I have ever visited had a listing of fees online so it isn't difficult and when in doubt, use email to be sure. I too use the COE parks a lot, particularly once we reached the age to get a Golden Age pass(now a senior pass) that is permanent as it gives you a 50% discount in their parks and the COE does not charge any day use fee for those in the campground whether towing or trailer. We have not found the problem of reserved weekends except in state parks near a major city and many states now keep some sites unreserved. Again, the internet is your friend. In addition to the COE, the Bureau of Reclamation has lakes with campgrounds and the BLM also has some campgrounds. The forest service does also, but many of those are now managed by contractors.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Another thing to watch for is driving separately. A towed car may not be charged while one following a motorhome may be charged. Don't be in too big a hurry to unhitch.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 3 years later...
On 6/21/2018 at 6:32 AM, Tumbleweed said:

Dave

Where can I find a deal like you have with a $550 deed with a $89 maintenance fee. Is there a web site that gives coast to coast campground deed price and yearly maintenance fees? 

13 hours ago, Loren said:

Where can I find a deal like you have with a $550 deed with a $89 maintenance fee. Is there a web site that gives coast to coast campground deed price and yearly maintenance fees? 

You can not buy C2C separately.  You have to get a home membership and C2C is including in buying into the home park.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

You can not buy C2C separately.  You have to get a home membership and C2C is including in buying into the home park.  

Choose your home park carefully. They closed ours and insisted we had to use a new park that was not convenient for us. We had to have an attorney write a letter for us to get out of our contract.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 9:03 PM, Loren said:

Dave