CB Radio?

Phil Saran

Phil, you got me to thinking when we last used a CB while traveling. And I remember we had used a CB in our 1984 Dodge van. In 1995 we sold the van and bought a 1995 Dodge pickup. I never moved the CB over to the new truck. I put it on top of the refer in our garage and it was still there 2003 when we sold all the stuff to go fulltime.

We use our CB mostly just to check on traffic conditions ahead in a backup or bad weather. For the most part, we just listen to find out the cause so we'll know whether to seek an alternate route or not. If it hadn't already been installed in the coach when we bought it, I wouldn't have added one...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I was big into CB in the mid 70s to the mid 80s to the point of putting a dual element beam antenna on a rotator on the roof and shooting skip on sideband and AM. I put a sideband mobile in our first truck and it was useless as hardly anyone would respond. 

Today I can get road and traffic conditions on my nav Apps, so between cell phones and nav,, my good buddy days were done long ago.

Is it coming back?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We didn't install the CB into our MH. We noticed years ago that  CB use seemed to be more prevalent in the east than the west. We moved to TX in the 90s and noticed the significant drop in usage and were puzzled by it. Now there is no reason to have a CB with cell phones and the apps available.

I've heard that if you sign up for  one of those caravans for a group trip to Alaska or Mexico, they REQUIRE everyone to have one.  (Can you say CONVOY, Good Buddy?)  Other than that . . .

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

I used a CB radio a great deal back in the 70's & 80's as I traveled for work and used to converse with truckers and other travelers to break the monotony as well as for emergency communication. When we went fulltime I put one into the motorhome (2000) but I soon discovered that the majority of the conversations were so crude and the language so bad that I soon stopped turning it on. In the years we had one with us we attempted to contact numerous RV's traveling the other direction or moving with us but in that time I believe only 2 times did anyone respond. There have been attempts to develop a CB channel for RV use much the way that 19 was for truckers, but I never saw that have significant success.

When caravaning with other RV folks we have in the past used a set of FRS radios as they are less impacted by interference and have better range along the highway. They also cost far less than CB. With cell phones being so prevalent today and service reaching pretty much all major routes, the need for one in an emergency has pretty much disappeared. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have a handheld CB and I keep rechargeable batteries in it.  When we get into a situation on the interstate where everything stops I turn it on while my DW starts checking the apps on her I-phone.  Generally the apps, like Waze, will only tell you that there is a crash 2 miles ahead for example.  Usually the information from the CB is a little more informative, like what lane is blocked, is emergency equipment on scene, etc.  For us it helps in the decision to either sit it out or start planning a detour.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

45 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

When we get into a situation on the interstate where everything stops I turn it on   Usually the information from the CB is a little more informative, like what lane is blocked, is emergency equipment on scene, etc.  For us it helps in the decision to either sit it out or start planning a detour.  

Exactly the reason I turn the CB on.. Or I turn it to start planning to take the alternate route at a long term construction site that has been a problem before.  I40 in Arkansas comes to mind

Clay 58 feet long when towing

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We have had a CB since way back. There is not much need for them now.We now have a Cobra  all in one unit that does not take up much space.It is on all the time when towing. The CB is just another tool . There is really not much chatter  on the air now and it is just about all truckers. The chatter is cleaned up and is in general very business like.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

35 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

Exactly the reason I turn the CB on.. Or I turn it to start planning to take the alternate route at a long term construction site that has been a problem before.  I40 in Arkansas comes to mind

Clay 58 feet long when towing

I use the WAZE app on the iphone to tell me about traffic and construction and police speed traps.  Then can do an alternate route around such things.  A random CB trucker might be less reliable.

Mine is on all the time. If there is a traffic issue I will hear it. We go four wheeling in Moab every thanksgiving and everyone uses cub. I am trying to convert them to 2 meter. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I have one installed on the truck and use it for traffic updates.  Usually, the truckers ahead will tell you which lane is closed so you can move over earlier.  I'd rather wait in line than barrel on ahead and bull my way in.

David

5 minutes ago, Dmitche4 said:

I have one installed on the truck and use it for traffic updates.  Usually, the truckers ahead will tell you which lane is closed so you can move over earlier.  I'd rather wait in line than barrel on ahead and bull my way in.

David

I never had a CB. I just choose whichever lane the trucks are in except for going up long hills.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 6/20/2018 at 7:10 AM, Optimistic Paranoid said:

I've heard that if you sign up for  one of those caravans for a group trip to Alaska or Mexico, they REQUIRE everyone to have one.  (Can you say CONVOY, Good Buddy?)  Other than that . . .

Virtually all caravans that pass through Canada use walkie-talkies so outsiders cannot confuse caravan communications, or so I was told when we caravaned to Alaska, and again to the Canadian Maritimes.

That said, I use a CB in our RV to receive "real-time" reports of crashes and other things that may affect us. While the usefulness of cell-phones is valid, they cannot replace the CB radios to inform others of an auto crash that just occurred 1/4 mile in front of you on the interstate, then how to take exit XX and use a state highway to go around the crash site and return to the interstate. Two weeks ago on  our return trip home I came upon a state highway detour that was just being closed, the dump-trucker behind me directed me onto a county road that bypassed the undergoing road closure, we both got back on the state highway about 4 miles later.  CB's do still have their place in the communications field. 

I have mine set to receive no more that about 2 miles away, reduces distracting chatter.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 6/20/2018 at 12:20 PM, Ronbo said:

Mine is on all the time. If there is a traffic issue I will hear it. We go four wheeling in Moab every thanksgiving and everyone uses cub. I am trying to convert them to 2 meter. 

I have a radio that will work on citizen band or 10 meter(I think, haven't used that yet,working on practice tests).

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

16 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

I have a radio that will work on citizen band or 10 meter(I think, haven't used that yet,working on practice tests).

RAy, the 10m band is assigned to amateur radio operators.  CB is 11m.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

34 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

RAy, the 10m band is assigned to amateur radio operators.  CB is 11m.

Ken

I was wrong, it's CB + 12 meter, bought it from an acquaintance.

That's why I'm practicing for the test to obtain my amateur license, so I can use the other band too.

We also have WAZE and like the CB,TST, rear view cam,they are tools we use to make travel easier.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

3 minutes ago, richfaa said:

We also have WAZE and like the CB,TST, rear view cam,they are tools we use to make travel easier.

Easier ... Sure , I'll buy that . But , probably closer to having something to do , being as traveling is sooo boring . LOL

Goes around , comes around .

2 minutes ago, richfaa said:

How does WAZE get its travel information  .."https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6078702?hl=en

22 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I was wrong, it's CB + 12 meter, bought it from an acquaintance.

That's why I'm practicing for the test to obtain my amateur license, so I can use the other band too.

Ray, you can't use your ham license on CB band.  This weekend is amateur radio Field Day.  Google it and through ARRL you can find a local club participating in Field Day.  Visitors are welcome at these events.  Find one near you and visit.  If they have a GOTA, Get on the Air station.  Unlicensed individuals can get on the air with a licensed Ham.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Archived