Where do I begin?

Scotcharoos

Hello!

I’ve never done a forum post before, so I’m unsure how this works.

I’m very young and have been traveling from state to state due to my Dad’s job for a long time. I don’t have many belongings, and I have close friends all over the U.S. that I’ve gained from consistent online interaction and convention meetings. I absolutely love experiencing new things and traveling, and I’ve never felt particularly attached to one place, but I don’t go outside very much due to work and school taking up my current time. I’d like to visit these friends, meet new people, and see new and exciting places!   

I’ve been working with Escapees for a little over a year now, and I’ve been feeling very envious of their lifestyle. Seeing as businesses are moving more online, and I’m a very tech savvy hard worker, I feel like I have a good chance working successfully from an RV. At my current pace I should be done with college before or by the time I turn old enough to legally rent a motor home. However, I don’t know where to begin. I have SKP friends that have told me that transitioning to the lifestyle takes a lot of work and preparation. I am absolutely positively ready to save up and work towards this goal, but at the moment my only knowledge is that it’s difficult, pricey, you need training in multiple areas, and very little belongings.

Where do I begin? I have years to prepare, but how should I start?

Secondly, do you guys think my goal is unrealistic or too ill-informed? Please, let me know what you recommend, I'd like to hear more opinions aside from my idealized view of traveling! 

In addition to Escapees, you might want to go over and poke around on the Cheap RV Living site.

Consider also supplementing web sites with a few good books on such subjects as Buying a Good Used RV and Living in an RV Full Time.

It's not that such books contain info that you can't find on the web - eventually.  It's just that the books probably have the information better organized.  On the Web it can be hit or miss, and you're never quite sure if you missed something or not.

Finally, if you are going to need Mobile Internet to work, you absolutely need to join https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

If you can live in a dorm room you can live in a conversion van or a small trailer. Don't let anyone tell you you have to go big or go home. I recommend checking out https://interstellarorchard.com to see how one young woman is doing it.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Since you are a young person about to get out of school and start a career, I recommend you take a trip enjoy a few weeks and then pursue your career.  You will have way more career opportunities and learning experiences if you do not try to work out of an RV. 

Welcome to the forums. I am sure that folks will do their best to answer your questions.

16 hours ago, Scotcharoos said:

I’ve been working with Escapees for a little over a year now,

Do you mind sharing just what you mean by this? Are you employed at the club offices or......?

16 hours ago, Scotcharoos said:

do you guys think my goal is unrealistic or too ill-informed?

I don't think that you are unrealistic and while you may not be well informed, that is easily resolved and you have come to the right place to do that. We could give better advice if we had more information. Questions like what your present income is and your savings goals would help as the budget is a major part of your probability of success. What career do you have in mind or what profession will you seek to have while traveling about the country? How long do you have before you finish school and do you plan to work for a time in order to build up some cash before you start your adventure? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived