Redwood trailer

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I like to now your thoughts about Redwood trailers. I have been trying to do some research on line about this trailer. I don't know who the manufacturer is of this trailer. Who makes it ? Does this trailer use a Lippert frame ? Is there any thoughts on quality ? Any other thoughts would be great. Good or bad.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

1 hour ago, DesertMiner said:

Hi Desert,

Thank you for the links. I will be checking them out.

Al

Remember that Lippert is the usual manufacturer of 5er frames, but they build to specs often provided by trailer manufacturer.  I dont fault their frames for the problems we sometimes hear about, because it requires looking at the plans that the frame was built to.  Companies can sometimes avoid any bad press and slough it off to Lippert when they have engineered a frame that is not to what is needed, so that they can save a few dollars.

Do your due diligence as part of your research.

Marcel

3 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Remember that Lippert is the usual manufacturer of 5er frames, but they build to specs often provided by trailer manufacturer.  I dont fault their frames for the problems we sometimes hear about, because it requires looking at the plans that the frame was built to.  Companies can sometimes avoid any bad press and slough it off to Lippert when they have engineered a frame that is not to what is needed, so that they can save a few dollars.

Do your due diligence as part of your research.

I agree.  I’m pretty sure that Lippert makes the frame for DRV.  But like you said, it is built to DRV’s specs as a fully boxed frame.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Hi Everyone,

Please keep the info coming. I thought I read some where about Thor Industries quality. There where some concerns from different people about their quality control. Does this exist across their whole line of RV's ? What other concerns should I be thinking about ?

Al

Also check to see if they still use Shwintek slide hardware.  They dont seem to last over time.  I have heard that they can be problematic.  Since slides are something that gets used often, its not a place for problems

Marcel

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

Also check to see if they still use Shwintek slide hardware.  They dont seem to last over time.  I have heard that they can be problematic.  Since slides are something that gets used often, its not a place for problems

I know they use these in the bedroom slides in what they call a slide in a slide.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

7 hours ago, Fulltimer51 said:

Go to Google.com., Type in Redwood RV.

Hi Fulltimer,

Thank you for the idea. I have been doing some googling. I have also seen some video's on You Tube.

I saw something on one of the video's where they where talking about a slide in a slide. I need to see that in person. 

Al

13 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Fulltimer,

Thank you for the idea. I have been doing some googling. I have also seen some video's on You Tube.

I saw something on one of the video's where they where talking about a slide in a slide. I need to see that in person. 

Al

It really opens up the bedroom, it is also offered in other Thor builds I believe in the Heartland line as well.

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Hi Everyone,

I want to say 'Thank You' to the folks that have made comments. I was hoping that someone that had a Redwood would make a comment or too. I just might need to go to some other forums to see other comments and info about the Redwood line of 5th wheels. I want to say 'Thank You' to the folks for the links to the other Redwood info. I would like to get a trailer with good quality with out breaking the bank. The trailers that are off my shopping list are, Spacecraft, New Horizon, and DRV. The reason is their price point. If I was full timing, these trailers would be still considered. From what I have been finding out, the price of the Redwood line is less than the DRV line. And they can be used for full time living and also have a warranty to that.

Please keep the comments coming,
Al

Al, take a look at the River Stone and River Stone Legacy line, we have had ours now going on 2 years and it has been a great unit with very little issues. if interested I will answer any questions you might have.

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

54 minutes ago, dblr said:

Al, take a look at the River Stone and River Stone Legacy line, we have had ours now going on 2 years and it has been a great unit with very little issues. if interested I will answer any questions you might have.

Hi dblr,

Thank you for the suggestion. I never heard of that line of trailers. I will have do a Google search and see what comes up. I am curious. Can the River Stone be used for 4 season ?

Al

Hi Al,

I am an owner of a Redwood 38GK they are are a division of Crossroads, Thor parent company. There are a few issues that these units have had which most all of us have had to address one way or another. Some of the big ones being the axles are underrated for what most consider within the safe zone. Upgrades like MorRyde 8000 IS suspension or 8000 pound axles is being done to many of the rigs used full-time. The other thing they have a problem with is decieving advertising when it comes to insulation many of us have reinsulated the front caps on ours. The air conditioning vents not allowing air into the coach because of the vents only having a 1/4 inch between the top of the vents and the top of the supply duct.  A little time and a dremmel cut off tool can fix most or these issues to satisfaction. Like all Lippert frames you want to make some modifications to beef up the suspension box in the spring hangers  being a good add on from your local welder.  Let's face it the RV industry gets away with murder when it comes to them only thinking about profit.  We really like our Redwood and purchased it knowing we would want to repair some of these issues. Purchase a new one not in my lifetime but there are some great deals on used ones out their. After all they are the cream of the crop to stay in considering they are made to be lived in.

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

17 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi dblr,

Thank you for the suggestion. I never heard of that line of trailers. I will have do a Google search and see what comes up. I am curious. Can the River Stone be used for 4 season ?

Al

I would say they are like all the rest but with some extra planning will work, standard 3 1/4" walls and dual pane windows. Below are the links to look at them, I do know there are going to be some floor plan changes but not sure what yet, I will be at the factory this summer and if not released by then hope to know more.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/fifth-wheels/riverstone

http://www.forestriverinc.com/fifth-wheels/riverstone-legacy

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

1 hour ago, dblr said:

I would say they are like all the rest but with some extra planning will work, standard 3 1/4" walls and dual pane windows. Below are the links to look at them, I do know there are going to be some floor plan changes but not sure what yet, I will be at the factory this summer and if not released by then hope to know more.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/fifth-wheels/riverstone

http://www.forestriverinc.com/fifth-wheels/riverstone-legacy

Hi dblr,

I looked at the info. Thank you for the links. The one problem that I see, is that there trailers are about 41' / 42' long. I want to stay between 35' / 36' long.

Al

18 hours ago, TomNGina said:

Hi Al,

I am an owner of a Redwood 38GK they are are a division of Crossroads, Thor parent company. There are a few issues that these units have had which most all of us have had to address one way or another. Some of the big ones being the axles are underrated for what most consider within the safe zone. Upgrades like MorRyde 8000 IS suspension or 8000 pound axles is being done to many of the rigs used full-time. The other thing they have a problem with is decieving advertising when it comes to insulation many of us have reinsulated the front caps on ours. The air conditioning vents not allowing air into the coach because of the vents only having a 1/4 inch between the top of the vents and the top of the supply duct.  A little time and a dremmel cut off tool can fix most or these issues to satisfaction. Like all Lippert frames you want to make some modifications to beef up the suspension box in the spring hangers  being a good add on from your local welder.  Let's face it the RV industry gets away with murder when it comes to them only thinking about profit.  We really like our Redwood and purchased it knowing we would want to repair some of these issues. Purchase a new one not in my lifetime but there are some great deals on used ones out their. After all they are the cream of the crop to stay in considering they are made to be lived in.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your response. This is the kind of info that I was looking for. I have read about the problems with Lippert frames. There is a fellow ( old sailor ) in the hdt section that had problems with his Mesa Ridge trailer with the spring hangers. I am not afraid of this because I have son's that are great in welding and we can reinforce the area. The only problem I see with this type of repair / reinforcement is from Redwood allowing that kind of work to the trailer. I would cross the bridge if I come to it. I would only want 8000 lb axle under the trailer with 17.5" wheels. I learned a lesson about that on the trailer I have now. That is a story for another time. How would you re insulate the front cap ?

Please keep the info coming,
Al

4 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your response. This is the kind of info that I was looking for. I have read about the problems with Lippert frames. There is a fellow ( old sailor ) in the hdt section that had problems with his Mesa Ridge trailer with the spring hangers. I am not afraid of this because I have son's that are great in welding and we can reinforce the area. The only problem I see with this type of repair / reinforcement is from Redwood allowing that kind of work to the trailer. I would cross the bridge if I come to it. I would only want 8000 lb axle under the trailer with 17.5" wheels. I learned a lesson about that on the trailer I have now. That is a story for another time. How would you re insulate the front cap ?

Please keep the info coming,
Al

The Redwood owners group forum and The Redwood Forum is where I found all the information on the issues and the repair methods used.  These have made the biggest impact on making our Redwood a great unit without having to spend tens of thousands more for a rig.  Everyone there has been super helpful in solving different issues the Redwoods have.

I picked our 2014 unit for less than half the new price and it still smelled new inside used very little.  That was before they even had it detailed for selling. The amenities for the money you cannot go wrong. The Redwood is definitely a head turner where ever you go.  We get compliments every where we go, just understanding that you may have to put some time into it to make perfect for you.  After all if you go into any RV thinking you will just have a service facility take care of all the issues you will never be able to spend much time enjoying the reason you bought one anyway.

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

19 hours ago, TomNGina said:

The Redwood owners group forum and The Redwood Forum is where I found all the information on the issues and the repair methods used.  These have made the biggest impact on making our Redwood a great unit without having to spend tens of thousands more for a rig.  Everyone there has been super helpful in solving different issues the Redwoods have.

I picked our 2014 unit for less than half the new price and it still smelled new inside used very little.  That was before they even had it detailed for selling. The amenities for the money you cannot go wrong. The Redwood is definitely a head turner where ever you go.  We get compliments every where we go, just understanding that you may have to put some time into it to make perfect for you.  After all if you go into any RV thinking you will just have a service facility take care of all the issues you will never be able to spend much time enjoying the reason you bought one anyway.

Hi Tom,

Is the following web address the forum you are talking about ?

https://www.redwoodrvowners.com/

Al

On 6/20/2018 at 10:36 AM, alan0043 said:

Hi dblr,

Al

We full time in a RiverStone and have experienced temperatures from -10 to +108.  Very comfortable in both extremes.

10 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Tom,

Is the following web address the forum you are talking about ?

https://www.redwoodrvowners.com/

Al

Yes Plus this sight 

https://www.redwoodowners.com/  the onlt thing different is the "rv" in the middle.

Tom

• 2 months later...

Archived