7x16 Dual Axle Cargo to RV trailer project in progress

We wanted to find a short RV with dual axles.  Winnebago has one with no sides (around $17k I think).  After 4+ years of trailer looking/research we decided that the only way to get what we want, 2 axles, not too long, not too wide, ability to take our stuff - enough CCC for our needs.  The only package we could come up with is the one in the title so we bought it in April and are in the insulating, flooring, design and wall board stage.  Scary stuff - electrical comes soon.  All those notes to re-read ouch.

No pictures yet but we are having fun and learning a lot.  Wayne took this week off so we can get it ready to at least be able to be used (wall boards off - can't go anywhere yet).  Right now it's designed in 3-D inside without anything attached and some things props like a big box representing the future refrigerator.

Spending a lot of time on the insulation and will not scold myself for not doing a good job cause we are doing a great job (I hate heat and an aluminum trailer is kind of a solar oven without proper insulation).

We hope to take off early 2019 with no storage unit and within good weights for the road.  We were considering a 2100 Winnebago and a Nano model but it was still not ideal (I know, that' price is nothing to a lot of you here who drive the nice Class A's but that's a lot to us).  The new 2018 dual axle was only $8k so we can put in the flooring, batteries, solar, etc. and we will still have plenty left over vs buying at $22k and then upgrading batteries and adding solar, etc..  We are building as light as possible to take more water, food and toys for good boondocking days.  I am sweating the flooring - it's 31 pounds a box and we bought 5 boxes so we'll be adding about 150 lbs. for that.  But it brings the entire trailer together, adds insulation to the floor, feels good to walk on, and best of all, is 100% waterproof and has a 25 year guarantee.  I know that's only good for in-house and not in-travel-house but it's good stuff just the same.

While I have no photos/video posted we are taking them to post in the future because what we found was that a ton of time has been spent figuring things out so if someone else can benefit and build 4 times faster than we are that's good for them.  For example, I spent weeks just trying to figure out HOW to insulate, let alone what with.  And I discovered a lot of hidden holes to cover up - good for others to know to look for them.  

Christine - 7x16 Cargo to RV Trailer In Progress

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I put up the progress video as of mid July.  Note the floor above - that's the 3rd one we put in.  In the video you'll see the second.  The first were the locking planks but my arthritic wrists and hands would not let me continue.  Then came squares that you'll see in the above video.  THEN finally the above one-piece cushioned vinyl.  Wonder why it's taking so long??

Looks like great progress is being made. It took use over a year to "tweak" (solar panels,controller, batteries, wiring, inverters Trimetric battery monitor,etc) our new to us 2014 Nash 17K  and we started with a usable very usable platform.

2022 F-250 4X4 LB SC Godzilla V8 /2014 Northwood Nash 17K/SKP098347

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is a process.  Finally all the walls are up, floor in and we are ready to start attaching the permanent items.  Wiring and batteries will come after I know where everything is going and what we are bringing so we can figure our needs.

The 17k Nash looks like a good layout.  Dual axles - yes!

Archived