SAFE CAMP SITES

KaRol

So my husband, myself, and 10yo twin daughters want to start RVing. Still trying to decide if RVing is for us or if just renting one a few times to see the National Parks (I hear that's the way to do Zion, Bryce, etc.) is a better idea. A big concern of us (retired cop and current ER/trauma nurse) is safety. Is there a difference between RV campsites and "trailer parks"? We want quality time with our kids, have everyone unplug, and meet people from around the country; but no sense unplugging if there's a Saturday Night Movie of the week playing out right in front of you. How can we tell the safer campgrounds?

Check the reviews at RVParkReviews.com and other review sites to see what the folks that have stayed at parks of interest are saying. By far, you'll find that most parks are quite safe and family friendly, although some have more features for the younger set than others. KOA "Destination" and Jellystone RV Parks for instance, are not surprisingly more family oriented than parks in snowbird areas that cater mainly to seniors.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I have been traveling with an RV for many years and have rarely found safety to be an issue in RV parks. It could be of some concern if you stop in one of the areas where the parks are all packed full of construction, energy, or some other type of nomadic workers but that would be about the only such case. In your case, you probably would be best served by the parks that cater to families with children such as the KOA's or Jellystone Parks and others of that sort. They offer more for the children to do than would one of those which attract mostly the retired set. Safety is generally not an issue.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

I have been traveling with an RV for many years and have rarely found safety to be an issue in RV parks. It could be of some concern if you stop in one of the areas where the parks are all packed full of construction, energy, or some other type of nomadic workers but that would be about the only such case. In your case, you probably would be best served by the parks that cater to families with children such as the KOA's or Jellystone Parks and others of that sort. They offer more for the children to do than would one of those which attract mostly the retired set. Safety is generally not an issue.

Kirk, I  have to call BS here. The last thing a working man wants, after a long day, is trouble with a family. There may be alcohol fueled exuberance, but that usually won't turn into a safety issue. Noise, yes, but management should have that under control quickly. In the park we manage, we're currently running around 30 percent workers, and they're the quietest bunch in the park. Get back to town around 7 pm, shower, cook some supper, and ready for bed by 10. Clean sites, clean rigs. Mud cleaned off the trucks before they come back to the park. Not spotless, but the loose stuff cleaned off. They've all been talked to before they came in, and all agreed to the rules, and to act like adults. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We spent the summer once in a park where a lot of workers stayed. It was not a problem until a popular guy moved in next to us. He had a BIG voice and his company stayed way past a normal bedtime. He wasn't shouting or trying to be obnoxious he just had a voice that carried well. Which wouldn't have been a problem if they all went to bed about 10 pm. We were almost glad when the river flooded and we had to move to higher ground. Other times we've camped with workers and had no problems whatsoever.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We have generally found most campgrounds are trouble free.  However holiday times in some National Forest and state parks can get a little rowdy.  Working people with a few days off letting off a little steam can get pretty wild and occasionally dangerous.  These times also bring out crowds and the chances of a few bad apples increase.  We generally tried to avoid these holidays, like the 4th of July.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

8 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Kirk, I  have to call BS here. The last thing a working man wants, after a long day, is trouble with a family.

You are certainly entitled to stay in those parks if you wish. I suspect KaRol might be uncomfortable there as most of those we have stopped in had many male workers traveling alone with lots of drinking & activities that I prefer to avoid. Probably not a danger to children but activity and language I'd prefer not to expose children to. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Having been involved in RVing since 1987, and living in RV parks longer term, one has to use commonsense.  Anyone can be staying in an RV park or mobile home park that allows RVs, and in most, anyone can be just driving through.  While snowbird/retirement locations tend to be safer, other areas can have perils that one doesn't want to expose their children too.

When it comes to workers on short term projects in local areas, that can be all over the place from the types of workers to how management handles situations that might arise.

As mentioned, search the reviews and include google reviews as they allow negative feedback that I have found pretty reliable.  I always run the name of the park followed by the word reviews and read everything that comes up relative to the park.

Cathy

You state you want quality, safe time in National Parks.  Then forget about RV parks and stay inside the national parks in one of their campgrounds.  You'll have the very best experience for visiting the parks and you'll have a chance to not only meet people from all over the country but also from foreign countries.  You'll be in the midst of nature so unplugging is good!  The children would probably love getting qualified to be a Junior Ranger through the park program.  Ask at the Visitor Center.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

From one retired LEO to another, I'll give you my take.  We have never traveled with children or grandchildren but old career habits are hard to break so I'm always watching for the "bad guy" you might say.

What I discovered early on in our full time adventure:

1.  There can be registered sex offenders living in and around a campground.

2.  A campground may look good/safe but when you check crimereports.com you may see the neighborhood is 

very unsafe around it.

3.  Many private/cheaper campgrounds are divided between permanent "trailer" sites and RV sites.

I think you just have to be careful of your surroundings and make sure your spouse and daughters do the same as you travel.  There are some parks we have been in where I would not hesitate to allow a young 10 to 15 year old child to roam freely, but then there are many that I would not.  Being a retired LEO you will recognize how safe an area is pretty quickly I'm guessing.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Archived