How many have burial flags

DJW

If either or both of your parents were Veterans how many have their burial flag?   Both my Mother and Father were Navy Veterans serving in WWII.  Our local VFW displays local Veterans burial flag on Memorial Day, Forth of July, Veterans Day out at the local Cemetery.  It's a very nice display.  When my Mother died my Dad gave her burial flag to the VFW for display.  When my Father died 5 years ago my older brother gave dad's burial flag to the VFW for display.  All the burial flags have the Veterans names on them which makes it easy to find your family flag.  I have my Grandfather's burial flag in a display case.  He joined the Navy Sea Bees after Pearl Harbor and served throughout the Pacific during WWII.  He was almost 43 years old when he joined the Navy in 1942.  My Grandmother gave me my Grandfather's burial flag at the time of his death in March 1986 as I was a Master Sergeant in the Army at the time.  I wish I had both my Mother & Fathers Burial Flag.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I have my father's flag.  He served in WWII.  Not sure who got my grandfather's flag.  He lied about his age and served in WWI, then was upset when his 4 sons got called up for WWII so he talked his way back into the Army and served again.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

FL-Joe

My Father's mom lied for him and he enlisted in the Navy when he was only 16.  He spent the war on Ford Island in Pearl Harbor, HI.  That lie came back to bit him when his birth certificate said he was born in 1925 and his service record showed he was born in 1924.  It all worked out but it was a PIA getting it corrected.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

My dad although he served in the USAF was a subject to the crown, and after he left the US, he served in the British foreign service earning an MBE from the queen. But we do have my FIL's 5X9.5' burial flag in a case, and my 3X5' retirement flag. I saw one entry on a website erroneously referring to the 3'X5' Military presentation flag for living military as a funeral flag. 🙄

I also have a cotton and embroidered, 3X5 thirteen stars flag of very high quality. I say that because it was obviously mistaken for unusable and it was sold to me at a local Goodwill brand new for $3.99. This one: https://www.amazon.com/VALLEY-FORGE-BETSY-COTTON-EMBROIDERED/dp/B00L49J5IY

I fly it and my retirement current 50 star retirement flag that was flown over the capitol on flag day, the 4Th of July, and Flag day. 

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:13 PM, DJW said:

FL-Joe

My Father's mom lied for him and he enlisted in the Navy when he was only 16.  He spent the war on Ford Island in Pearl Harbor, HI.  That lie came back to bit him when his birth certificate said he was born in 1925 and his service record showed he was born in 1924.  It all worked out but it was a PIA getting it corrected.

Dennis

I'm sure Grandpa ran into that same issue prior to WWII.  It probably didn't take long for him to straighten it out.  He was a pretty gruff old dude from Kentucky that was sort of stubborn.  I recall the Doctor telling him he had to stop drinking and smoking when he was around 75.  He walked straight to his neighborhood bar in 95 degree heat smoking a hand rolled cigarette, had a quick double shot of whiskey, walked outside and had his first heart attack on the sidewalk!  He never stopped smoking or drinking until the day he died.  Stubborn or stupid, but a dam true war hero when this country needed him twice.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Archived