Secondary tank draining fast when stepping on brake pedal?

tyates007

We are getting ready to pull out tomorrow night to head to the WCR. I had bought some new batteries and cable to clean up the battery box. Got that all done, hit the key and the big Cat motor roared to life. Air built good and we were ready to pre trip. All went well until I checked the brakes. When I step on the pedal I can heat A LOT of air leaking and the secondary tank drops fast. I rebuilt the air and had my wife push the brakes so I could look. It is getting dark so I can’t see but it sounds like it is in the drivers side inside the frame rail close to the firewall. I can’t see anything there. I will check again tomorrow when it gets light. Any ideas on what I may be looking at would be appreciated. Truck holds air when sitting so it is a brake issue. For information. Park brake is set, yellow nob out. I did not push the non in to see if it still leaked with foot brake depressed

#10 green air hose drops down from the treadle, goes into the LH rail, then goes forward to the QR valve in the middle of the rad xmember.  It is probably wrapped in convelute.  Maybe rubbed through by the clutch bellcrank?

What Scrap said should let you figure out where it is leaking. If you build air, shut the engine down, crawl wober the truck and position yourself between the firewall and radiator crossmember and have someone press the brake pedal, you should be able to locate the leak.  Leaks are much harder to find with that Kitty roaring in your ear.

Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Are you sure its not the brake chamber?

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

1 hour ago, dennisvr said:

Are you sure its not the brake chamber?

Pretty sure it’s not a brake chamber as it would only be the front brakes and I did not hear them leaking. I will know later this afternoon when I get off work and take a look at it.  It was late and dark last night

I was not able to locate the air leak even though it was big. When we left Caldwell there was still a leak but not as bad. By time we drove another 300 miles on torrential rain and stop and go construction traffic the leak was almost non existent. I already had an appointment to get it into a shop on Tuesday morning. Turned out to be a bad ABS valve on the left wheel. So nothing a few hundred dollars couldn’t cure. We will be back on the road tomorrow for our next leg. Thanks for all the replies. 

Archived