Interesting Conversation About DEF

SuiteSuccess

Being productive today.  Was in Tractor Supply getting stuff to change oil and filters on my tractor.  Noticed they had their brand of DEF on sale for $4.00 cheaper than Peak Blue DEF.  Stranger walks up and interjects.  (Narrative will sound bit like DollyTrolly, so don’t get mad Dolly😊)

Stranger:  “What kind of truck you have?”  Me:  “Dodge Ram 2500.”  Stranger:  “Then don’t buy that stuff!”  Me: “Really?  Why?”  Stranger:  “Will cancel your warranty and could blow up your truck!”  Me:  “Really?”  Stranger:  “Yeah, those off brands use the same stuff they use in fertilizer to make bombs like Oklahoma City.”  Me:  “I thought that was ammonium nitrate?”  Stranger:  “Nope”.  Me:  “Well better look at ingredients.  Says automotive purified urea 32.5%, distilled water 67.5%”  Stranger:  “Yep, that’s the stuff”.  Me (with a chuckle):  “Is Peak Blue okay?”  Stranger:  “Yep, don’t use that explosive stuff”.  Me:  “Well better check.  Says right here urea 32.5%, distilled water 67.5.%.”  Stranger:  “ Blue stuff is not explosive”.  Me:  “Okay, thanks for the advice, would hate to level my house!”  I bought the sale brand.

Moral:  Had moment of WalMart deja vu.  DEF is DEF is DEF.  Pretty sure what is in the pumps at truck stops is not all Peak Blue DEF.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

55 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Make sure you are checking the “use by date” when buying at selected outlets!

Good point.  Usually good up to a year if stored between 10-90* F is my understanding.  Think I’m going to invest in one of these. Cheaper brands on eBay.

https://www.otctools.com/products/otc-def-refractometer

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

DEF needs to be API certified. It’s shelf life is shorter as storage temperatures are higher. Many charts exist. 6 years in cold storage and just over 1 year in Phoenix summer - approx. ?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Yeah was posting more for the conversation about exploding DEF. Never know what people are thinking. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Been using the Walmart stuff for the last 2 years with no explosions yet LOL!!

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Hi Everyone,

You guys have me curious. Why not just buy the stuff at the pumps ? This there something wrong with the pump stuff ? Should I be concerned if I used DEF that comes out of a pump ? I know these are rookie questions. But I am a rookie myself. 

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

DEF is all the same.  If its chemistry deviates very much from the "norm", engines will sense it and go into limp mode until it's removed, so it HAS to all be the same.  The main reason that some buy it in bottles is that in many regions, with the exception of truck stops, DEF isn't available at the pump.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Too funny !  I had a person tell me not to buy the jugs and just get the sacks of fertilzers in that pile ahead and make my own like he does ....  I looked at him and said, Why ?  I just pee in the tank its cheaper ...  the jug is for when I run out of pee .....

For the first time ever, I was able to keep a straight face all the way out the door and to my truck.

🤣

NAPA store brand is Peak just with NAPA's brand on it per the manager of my local NAPA store.  He is selling it for $9.95/per 2.5/g jug.  He sells a pallet a week and no longer keeps Peak in stock.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Its very hard to find at the pump in Vermont, they just put all new pumps in at the bigger station near me and no def pump. I think it is because of the weather. If the tank was not heated it would freeze 10 months of the year! When it first came out there was some question as too if it would stay fresh in bulk. 

With a 26 gallon tank, I never fill it up all the way and always buy it at Pilot/FJ as it is generally a lot cheaper that way. I don't usually buy fuel there because of the price but the DEF is usually fresh.

Carl, anytime you want to borrow a refractometer, you are more than welcome to use mine.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

15 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

With a 26 gallon tank, I never fill it up all the way and always buy it at Pilot/FJ as it is generally a lot cheaper that way. I don't usually buy fuel there because of the price but the DEF is usually fresh.

Carl, anytime you want to borrow a refractometer, you are more than welcome to use mine.

David,

I ordered the cheap Chinese one $17 just to check before I pee in the tank.  😂. Yours is Snap On right?

Actually just wanted to check various brands. Think the guy in Tractor Supply had a Georgia Bulldog shirt on🤪

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

22 hours ago, Pug said:

Too funny !  I had a person tell me not to buy the jugs and just get the sacks of fertilzers in that pile ahead and make my own like he does ....  I looked at him and said, Why ?  I just pee in the tank its cheaper ...  the jug is for when I run out of pee .....

For the first time ever, I was able to keep a straight face all the way out the door and to my truck.

🤣

Now that there is funny.  Just sayin.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

On 6/14/2018 at 11:44 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

Being productive today.  Was in Tractor Supply getting stuff to change oil and filters on my tractor.  Noticed they had their brand of DEF on sale for $4.00 cheaper than Peak Blue DEF.  Stranger walks up and interjects.  (Narrative will sound bit like DollyTrolly, so don’t get mad Dolly😊)

Stranger:  “What kind of truck you have?”  Me:  “Dodge Ram 2500.”  Stranger:  “Then don’t buy that stuff!”  Me: “Really?  Why?”  Stranger:  “Will cancel your warranty and could blow up your truck!”  Me:  “Really?”  Stranger:  “Yeah, those off brands use the same stuff they use in fertilizer to make bombs like Oklahoma City.”  Me:  “I thought that was ammonium nitrate?”  Stranger:  “Nope”.  Me:  “Well better look at ingredients.  Says automotive purified urea 32.5%, distilled water 67.5%”  Stranger:  “Yep, that’s the stuff”.  Me (with a chuckle):  “Is Peak Blue okay?”  Stranger:  “Yep, don’t use that explosive stuff”.  Me:  “Well better check.  Says right here urea 32.5%, distilled water 67.5.%.”  Stranger:  “ Blue stuff is not explosive”.  Me:  “Okay, thanks for the advice, would hate to level my house!”  I bought the sale brand.

Moral:  Had moment of WalMart deja vu.  DEF is DEF is DEF.  Pretty sure what is in the pumps at truck stops is not all Peak Blue DEF.

Success.......hummmm

For not wanting to sound like the DT you are .......sorta sounding somewhat like the DT.......

Now........being the DT ain't a easy gig so you are getting close to the "equine-exhast-pile with your post.....be more careful with future posts..... NO one should try to fill my barn-boots......

Rendondo my ...."fixer" .....wanted to drill a few holes in your knee caps but he is over in Russia at the moment on the lamb from testifying in front of the gran-jury........

Anyhow be carefull peeing in the DPF tank......don't let  your......hose.....fall too far into the tank......it is cold and deep in those tanks you know........

Drive on........(Don't try to bee DT......how low can you go.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Barb hasn't been here to correct you, but it was "ammonium".

PS: this conversation has passed the threshold of "Watchfulness" long ago.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Lou Schneider said:

Ammonia nitrate and diesel fuel is what the OK bomber used.  Did you tell the guy he was worrying about the wrong thing you're putting into your truck?

Lou,

For some reason don’t think I was gonna win that conversation.  Sometimes better to let a sleeping dog lie, especially if it might be a Georgia Bulldog.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

7 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Carl, mine is an OTC branded one. Works well though and not super expensive. Check out www.tooltopia.com for a lot of the specialty tools at a good price

You’re just not gonna take the Georgia bait are you?😁

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived