What's on the back of you truck?

Steve from SoCal

I am finally finishing up the body for my truck, the rear body panel has a trailer electric socket, air lines just in case and, trailer hitch plate.    Is there something I am forgetting?     I thought about a cable for a camera on the back of the trailer?      

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Steve, I think you will enjoy your Pete. I added a cargo carrier rack to the rear of my Volvo. I can't remember if it was on the truck when i visited with you several years ago. I also have a camera to aid in aligning the pin and hitch when hooking up. I am planning on a vise-mounting point somewhere back there.....just trying to decide where it would be most conveinent. By the way, I replaced my axles as the brake issues I had when visiting you, continued. All is good now.  Be safe, Charlie.

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Steve, I have a std commercial plug (currently re-wired to a RV style). a normal RV plug (in case I need to tow someone else's trailer or a bumper pull), both glad hands, a camera plug that is a commercial plug as well and I also use the yellow commercial  auxiliary plug for other circuits to the trailer (back up lights, belly lights, etc). Other than that, we added a couple of horizontal 1/2 plates to use as steps to get up on the bed and a socket for a post to use with your hand to help pull my old butt up there when using those steps.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

To add to my original post, there is a 7 pin SAE J560 plug AND a 7 pin blade RV type plug on the back.     I don't have a Blue Dot trailer now but?     The air is there if needed.      Regarding camera plugs, what do I want?     I am a complete and utter novice when it comes to video stuff.      The camera arrangement will be one camera on the back, not a hitch cam but for bobtail and trailer viewing.      Then a cam cable to the rear of the camper perhaps one additional in the trailer?    

I also though about adding some wheelie wheels under the bumper, I don't have a lot of overhang but, the bumper is 13" off the ground.

Last I am considering doing an engine turned vinyl wrap on the rear panels.     I sprayed them a textured black and they do nothing for me.     This is not as highly reflective as polished stainless but, it is different.

joP2Daml.jpg

E74RC8jl.jpg

Steve 

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

For my camera plug I used a old female trailer receptical with the back cut open then I put a bicycle inner tube over it put the wire in and zip tied it all together. I can lift the cover pull the wires out put them together and push them back in I have never found water or dirt on the video cables.  I tried a wireless camera first but it tended to fade in and out. On the Volvo I am putting a 4 Chanel dvr about $40 on eBay in so I can use more cameras with one monitor. I would really miss my hitch camera I get sick of claiming in and out to hitch but I Have a gooseneck.

My KW dually has RV and normal trailer plugs and glad hands low on the driver side on the back of the “sleeper” (which actually has 2 rear seats), stout receiver hitch and rv plug at the rear of the skirt, weld on about 5/8” D rings at each corner.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Simple fix for the rear wireless trailer cam...buy a 35' (or whatever) cable extension to fit the camera at the rear of the trailer. Run the cable up to near the front of the trailer roof where the round down starts, and mount the antenna. Secure the cable with a 2" puddle of lap seam sealant about every 3 feet. Works like a charm. (Power the camera from the top center running lights)

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

4 hours ago, adept99 said:

Simple fix for the rear wireless trailer cam...buy a 35' (or whatever) cable extension to fit the camera at the rear of the trailer. Run the cable up to near the front of the trailer roof where the round down starts, and mount the antenna. Secure the cable with a 2" puddle of lap seam sealant about every 3 feet. Works like a charm. (Power the camera from the top center running lights)

^_^ That's the way I have done mine, and it works great.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

On 6/13/2018 at 8:52 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

I am finally finishing up the body for my truck, the rear body panel has a trailer electric socket, air lines just in case and, trailer hitch plate.    Is there something I am forgetting?     I thought about a cable for a camera on the back of the trailer?      

Steve

Steve,

Sounds a little hill-billy but a weather-proof duplex 120 Vac outlet hidden at the lower skirt of the back of the bed sure is handy........nice to not have to string a extension cord out to run a REAL power tool.......cordless tools are nice but sometimes 120Vac is what really is needed.

I am a lazy old dog but with a Wilton Vice plugged into the receiver hitch and a lawn chair with a Dr Pepper holder I could almost pass as a metal butcher.............if nothing else you can plug in the big horse fan and have a nice breeze while having a nap.......

No some folks...........just might..........MIGHT ...........plug in their 120 Vac into the trailer as they tow down the road to keep the fridge happy ..........of course YOU and ME would NEVER do ANYTHING like THAT............(right??).......

Drive on..............(DC is OK...........AC is handy as well)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I have a 1500 watt inverter at the rear of the truck, the receptacles are right behind door number 1.      There is also an Anderson plug for jump starting there.      Really the only thing missing is a wet line kit, the stuff I wonder about is not truck stuff, it is the gadgets and gizmos RV's have?

Steve

I got it off ebay, it is not the highest quality?     26.00 for 2X8 feet.    It is as much an experiment and learning experience, I may try wrapping my rear bumper in chrome?        The whole truck is going to the paint shop when everything is done and flight tested.     The rear panels could easily be painted at that time, I do kinda like it, not as reflective as stainless and, it breaks up the monotony.

I am doing the airline bracket now and will check the final fit up later today barring a T-storm.    I shut off my three phase in storms, lost a pin and socket connector and three expensive fuses a while back.

Steve 

Here is the tail on the truck, there is a door that will be wrapped between the outer panels above the yellow hitch plate.      There is a bumper that goes below the back up lights across the entire back.     

Steve

lsYDrg0l.jpg

Steve,

Your wrap looks good. It's a nice contrast to paint.

Four years ago I wrapped some chrome on the visor on the Freightliner and it is one huge compound curve......not easy wrap. I was bored in Wickenburg so the three days it took was ok but working folks have less time to burn. Have several folks want to know where I got the chrome visor and I tell them s crazy old coot did them but he is dead now.

Be careful wrapping curves...

Drive on.....( Be careful of getting wrapped around the curves....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Getting close, conforming test fit.     Have to re position the fresh water fill neck, everything else is ready to fly.  

Steve

6n5Ti94l.jpg

Archived